Thread: The Annoying pop when you put the XK in Gear. Fixed it.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar

The Annoying pop when you put the XK in Gear. Fixed it.

Well What a day! It turned out to be quite a bit bigger job than I wanted it to be. I figured I'd give a few tips and pointers here for switching yours out.
    First off here's what it looks like:

Ordered this from quadratech at 16 dollars. There are three bushings in all, 2 of them are this one. The other one (the front one) has a metal bracket attached and only found them at the dealer. I didn't need to replace that one so I didn't bother buying it.

The bad one on my XK making the pop was the rear/driver side bushing isolator. It was definitely and unmistakably ruined and the middle was almost ripped completely out. Seems like the other people having the issue mainly was the same one as mine that went bad.

To wrestle this sucker out I had to take the whole bracket off the front isolator, and the bolt out of the other two. Had to take my passenger front wheel off to get the angle of the CVs to be helpful to taking this thing off. Then Had to take the front driveshaft loose from the differential via the 6 tiny bolts holding it on. This let me rotate the differential down to get at the isolator. Then I had to beat the crap out of it with a hammer and punch, and then resorted to the sawzall. Here's the end product of getting it out:

To put the new one back in its imperitive that you go rent a ball joint press from Auto Zone or another parts store.... or maybe you're just fancy and have one....not me.

Also was helpful that my buddy came over to lend a hand.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Hey do you have a pic of which one you are talking about? Mine dont look bad, I think, but I have some of the symptoms
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Member Looking for Dirt
    glad to see you were able to get it done.
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Here's the pic of the whole differential:

No it's not mine. No I didn't remove my differential this far either. Found it on the internets.
    The top one was the bad one. it's hard to see and hard to identify that it's bad from just looking underneath cause you really cant see it much. When I took out the bolt going through it the middle of the isolator was almost ready to fall out making the bump sound as it shifts pressure on the diff. Thanks Gulf550 for the advice. I did end up unbolting the driveshaft and letting it rotate down. It was much easier that way. Also thanks for the ball joint press advice. Would have taken me a while to figure that out as well.
    Last edited by superacerc; 01-17-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Thread Information