Thread: Portable Winch set up.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar

Portable Winch set up.

This is my portable winch set up.

It is a Warn 9.0Rc. that weighs a little over 50pds , (not including the mount).

I found a used receiver and had it welded on the front of my trailer and made a hinged cutout for the rope

I use a wireless remote, which has come in very handy when I have to winch large/heavy objects or even a vehicle into the trailer by myself. It works great to sit in the vehicle and steer etc while using the remote to control the winching speed up the trailer.

Last edited by 1USMC; 03-10-2013 at 12:37 PM.

I have a power outlet on my front bumper.

Last edited by 1USMC; 03-10-2013 at 12:53 PM.

For the rear, I use my jumper cables that I have installed an end connector to. The connector allows me to attach the battery clamps or connect directly up to the winch.

Last edited by 1USMC; 03-10-2013 at 01:03 PM.

I have had winch way before I got my jeep..

Factory Red was OK with me then But.. I did finally rattle can it black !!

I had the remote receiver mounted only with heavy Velcro. Well I soon learned while trying my hand at some mild off roading in hi brush with some rough approach angles, that it could and did get torn off.

So I remounted it and now have it bolted to the back of the solenoid, more out of the way and more secure ( not reflected in these photos).

Im always learning !! ( and yes..normally the Hard Way )

Last edited by 1USMC; 03-10-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Nice rig!!!
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    You did what I did for the winch on the back... a set of jumper cables to an Anderson plug on the winch. And, for the front of the Jeep, an Anderson plug which doubles as a jumper cable source with the same set of cables. I semi-cheated, and bought a set of premade jumper cables from a wholesale battery supply house. They're #00 welding cable and 25 feet long. (The cable set weighs about 30 lbs.!) Giving someone a jump just means I plug in the cables and hook them up without even opening the hood.

When the winch is on the back end, the cables are strung up and over and alligator-clipped to the battery. On the front, it's a winch all ready to go.

My Jeep is towed by my motorcoach, so my front receiver is a conversion piece I had built that clevis-pins onto the towing base plate setup. When I get wherever and unhitch the Jeep, I put the receiver unit on, and it's winch ready. The only disadvantage is the winch sits lower that I'd like.

The best part of all? I've only used the winch to pull someone ELSE out!!
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

I can imagine the weight of your #00 cables.. But you are getting minimal loss through them. Thats the way to do it !

I have been using the Anderson plugs on the grills of my vehicles for jumping etc. since they probably first came out Lol. I even had one on my 74 Dodge Van ( that I got in 76, and as a X-mas gift to my wife last year, I had to get rid of her .. :-( )

I have the jumper set up on my wifes vehicle and my 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee also. I'm always jumping someone (or occasionally jumping myself), especially with my ZJ and my van up in the North USA in the winter time. It's really convenient not having to open the hood either way.

Here are my cables I use in the Commander , I started out 30' (#0) and cut a few feet off and added heavy duty clamps and a Anderson end. The long length > two Anderson ends.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    great setup
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Thread Information