Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: oh crap whats that noise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty mrnavy2's Avatar
    I drove all day. Left my apartment in NJ at 0800 drove to JFK and back and had NO noise . Ran beautiful. Temp at 0800 was 6 degrees.
    A Veteran, whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard, of Reserves, is someone who, at one point in their lives, wrote a check payable to "The United States of America" for a amount of
    "up to and including my Life". That is Honor, and there are way to many people in the country who no longer understand it.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    It's definitely not traction control... i know what that sounds like and it's not even close.

*talking about the noise Corey and John are hearing... assuming that's what i heard today.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    Yeah keep us updated. Im not really concerned its a problem considering all 3 of us are hearing it besides Adam but he doesnt count because he has 34s and I dont like him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    I don't think I have ever heard something like that then...It'll be -20 with windchill here tomorrow so I'll see if I can hear anything. Maybe one of the guys with this problem could post up a video of the sound to help us understand better.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
    I don't think I have ever heard something like that then...It'll be -20 with windchill here tomorrow so I'll see if I can hear anything. Maybe one of the guys with this problem could post up a video of the sound to help us understand better.
    Mine does it on really cold days before it warms up. I have noticed it 2 or 3 times this season. Don't have to be on the gas too hard but not real light either. Goes away as soon as i let up on the gas and wait for it to wrm up. I don't think it has ever done it before this year, but this is a colder winter than we have had in a while.
    2010 5.7 QTII - OME HD w/ 3/8" spacers up front and F150 MLL in rear, JBA UCA 6.7, JKS 2034 Front Quick Disconnects, Gas Tank Skid Mod, PinchWeld Mod, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17, Custom Front Receiver / Plow Mount, Custom Tow Rings F/R, Diablo Intune.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    I will see if I can do a video tomorrow morning on my way to work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    So I doesn't happen when you're breaking traction, only when you give it a bit of gas? Maybe the reason I never hear it is because I plug my Jeep in over night (diesel) and I also let it warm up for about ~10 minutes before I actually leave and start driving.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Yup, only when accelerating.

My jeep was running for at least 15 minutes yesterday before I drove it.
    Last edited by Matt; 01-23-2014 at 04:11 AM.

Member Looking for Dirt
    i posted this question on another non XK forum. one of the guys there runs a repair shop, he said he had just replaced a half shaft on the drivers side on a 07WK for a simular noise. the guy brought it in during the last cold spell becuase the CV was poping and cracking on acceleration. overall he said the shaft was in good shape and felt fine. after he replaced it about 60% of the noise when away " enought to here the passanger side". my turck has 90k on it do you think this could be an early warning sign of wareing CV's?

Funny you mentioned that... I was just coming to post a similar conclusion.

My garage was about 48 degrees this morning. Pulled out onto my street and hit the gas pretty good.... the noise was no where near as bad as yesterday, but I did hear it faintly on the drivers side only. By the time I got to the end of my street I couldn't reproduce it.

The only thing I could think of is the CV joint. The sockets wear, add in extreme cold temps that open the tolerances a bit more and thickened grease that needs to warm up....

I wouldn't go so far as to replace them. Wait until they're clicking/popping during normal driving and tight turns. ... and take some lead out of your boots until the jeep warms up lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information