Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Installed Monroe Load Leveling Shocks on Rear

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Installed Monroe Load Leveling Shocks on Rear

Monroe Part Number 58646
    Edit: CLICK HERE to jump to post #125 where i install the longer version of these shocks (58643)

Notes:
    1) These are designed for stock height vehicles. I have a 2" spacer lift. This matters because spring force is a function of deflection, and at normal ride height for my "lifted" XK, these "load leveling" shocks are working at 2" less deflection than they're designed for. There are two important results of this: A) Unloaded, my increase in ride height is LESS THAN what it would be on a non-lifted Jeep and B) My deflection from new ride height under a load will be MORE THAN it would be on a non-lifted jeep.

2) My XK only has 31k miles. My stock shocks are in excellent condition and still strong.

3) I'm running a full tank of gas for these measurements.

Result:
    I'm happy with them. For $90 they did what I wanted them to do... get rid of my rear sag and help under load.

Measurements:
    (From ground to bottom of fender, centered on the hub)
    Stock:
    Front = 35.9 Rear = 35.75
    Stock + Load:
    Front = 36.0 Rear = 35.25 (Full 1/2" drop)
    New Shocks:
    Front = 35.9 Rear = 36.25 (Full 1/2" higher than stock)
    New Shocks + Load:
    Front = 36.0 Rear = 35.90 (Less than 1/2" drop and still taller than stock)

So you'll see that I gained a 1/2" when unloaded. Expect closer to an inch if you're not running a 2" spacer lift. Also under load it only dropped 1/3" with these new shocks... If these were on a stock vehicle I doubt it would have dropped at all under that load.

The load:
    171 Pounds including the cargo carrier.
    92 Pounds of the load was added weight to the very back of the cargo carrier to maximize the effect.
    I'm looking forward to see how these things handle my friends 6000lb boat when we put it in the water next week.

Before & After Shot:

Install:
    You can replace shocks in under 10 minutes on these vehicles. All you need is a floor jack and a 15mm socket. It took me about 30 minutes total because I was taking pictures and measurements along the way AND took a tire off for the pics. You do not need to remove the tires to do this.

Last edited by Matt; 09-03-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Nice
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Nice mod man, that would come in handy for us that pack the crap out of our XK on trips and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Nice mod man, that would come in handy for us that pack the crap out of our XK on trips and stuff.
    You know that YOU started this right? After calling me out in that pic i took when i went mountain biking, i thought it was just the angle of the pic. Next time i went riding i took some measurements and realized my rear was sagging with just the bike mount and my 25lb bike on it... From that moment on, i knew i had to do something

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    You know that YOU started this right? After calling me out in that pic i took when i went mountain biking, i thought it was just the angle of the pic. Next time i went riding i took some measurements and realized my rear was sagging with just the bike mount and my 25lb bike on it... From that moment on, i knew i had to do something
    I thought of that when I read this thread LOL but I wasn't going to call you out again, angle of the PIC Looks good bro

So after a few days of driving around i'm EXTREMELY happy with these shocks.

I was expecting a stiff/harsh ride in the rear. That's not the case at all... granted having the 2" spacer kit on there is definitely helping with the ride quality because the leveling coils aren't compresses as much as they would be.

Ride is great. No more floaty/mushy suspension in the rear. When i hit the gas it doesn't "sink" down anymore so it feels more peppy off the line.

I may do some research to see if they make these in 1" or 2" longer version....

Let me know what you find out on the length. My shocks should be toast by the end of this summer I'm guessing.

Ok man here's what I found.

Part number 58646
    Compressed Length = 15.16
    Extended Length = 24.87
    Travel = 9.15
    Upper Mount = LS30
    Lower Mount = LS38

Part number 58643
    Compressed Length = 16.59
    Extended Length = 27.55
    Travel = 10.66
    Upper Mount = LS38
    Lower Mount = LS38

Mounts:
    LS30:
    Sleeve ID = 12MM
    Sleeve Length = 1-7/8 (1.875)

LS38:
    Sleeve ID = 1/2" (12.7MM)
    Sleeve Length = 1-1/2 (1.50)

So it looks like that part number would work... but we'd have to use some washers to make up for the extra 3/8" width missing from the bushing sleeve between the LS30 and LS 38 mounts. I don't think the difference of the 12MM to 12.7MM ID will be an issue. That's only ~.3mm radial clearance... so a turn or two of duct tape would make up for that clearance difference.

The other option would be shock extenders for the lower mount... not sure if any are made for the Commander though; i've never actually run shock extenders before... always just got the shocks that fit

Hey sal. Wondering if you're thinking of giving that longer version a try. I've been thinking about trying them and selling mine.....

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information