Page 25 of 56 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Sal-XK's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Let me know when you plan to put the stuff on - I'll make a trip down and help out.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Nice work Sal, clean install.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Let me know when you plan to put the stuff on - I'll make a trip down and help out.
    I still have all the paint sitting here to finish painting the bottom of my XK. I also have parts for finishing my spare battery install I just need to make or purchase a fuse box to get all my accessories plugged into the spare battery. I got both jeeps CB's fixed up just need to get a cable so I can plug my SWR meter in then I'll be done with that. Need to get those bars from you so I can get that installed to. I think that's about it aside from so little things I want to do it's been crazy around here lately I haven't even washed my Jeep in about two months. Maybe we can meet somewhere so I can get those bars and I can see if I can wheel with those things.

Edit: I'm going to make it on the 12th for Uwharrie
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 11-04-2011 at 11:54 AM.

I think I destroyed my firestik antenna LMAO. Waiting for the rain to stop to get back outside to get a proper reading

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    How did you do that. I had two of them for years without trouble.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    How did you do that. I had two of them for years without trouble.
    I was trimming it got down below 2 on the meter took another coil off went to 3 on the meter now so not sure what happen there.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Firestick has a nice tunable antenna. Much easier than chopping the silly thing. Make sure that ground is good as well.
    My usual path of tuning involves seeing what the SWR is at CH1 and CH40. They are diff freqs and depending on the resonant length of the antenna, one will be better than the other. If CH 1 is better than 40 that means its too long and could be shortened some. If 40 is better ..... well good luck on making it longer if it's not tunable (has the screw in the end). If it just won't tune than it could be a bad ground (and if you're already chopping away it might not work very well starting over with a great ground. If you buy cheap Coax (some of this stuff is of the poorest quality) than that can possibly cause you some issues as well. A good RG 8 type is great stuff. 213(i think thats the right number) is good stuff. RG58 is low end (high loss, low shielding) Mini anything is not very good.
    I'm sure you know all that but i figured for the rest of those sitting around reading your wonderful post it might help them.
    I'm one of those geeky Extra Class Ham Operators who sits around building antennas for fun.

Hope it works out, i guess 20 bucks or so isn't too bad a loss if it's too short now.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

I put a jumper cable to the antenna mount to insure I had a good ground to the bracket. I've used top of the line parts except for my cable I just used the existing cable I had installed already and I'm betting that's my issue. I'll have to order a new antenna and connectors now I think.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Did you just jump out the antenna mount to the bracket? If so Is the bracket really grounded well? I had to run a #10 wire down underneath my XK to a major chassis bolt to get a real good ground. There is one right underneath your rear bumper almost exactly underneath the bottom of the antenna. That's the one i used. Just put a crimp lug on that had the bolt mounting prongs and backed off on the chassis bolt and put it under there. I can put just about any antenna in my mount and it's always nearly a perfect match.

The bracket by itself is nowhere near enough counter balance for a CB antenna so the bracket needs to be grounded really well.
    I keep editing this forgive me. You need as much continuous and bulky metal as possible for a great ground. Cause a vehicle is never really ground, right? Unless you don't have tires?
    Last edited by superacerc; 11-04-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

I put the jumper to the bracket and came off the same ground my lights are on. I thought about running the ground to the antenna stud but didn't know where to tie it in on there. I had to look up just to figure out where the nylon washer goes LOL

Page 25 of 56 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread Information