Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: TrialByFire's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    According to their site (http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/wheels/) they're 8.5" wide with +25mm for the XK. That's 5.75" backspace.

Looks like the JK version would be better @ 8.5 wide with +10mm which would be about 5.15" backspace. They'd stick out about 1/2" further than his current set.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Copied from AEV XK description "The Pintler is a 17x8.5" wheel with all the features you've come to expect from AEV. This wheel was designed for lifted on non-lifted 05+ Grand Cherokee (WK) and 06+ Commander (XK) with up to 35" tires. (This wheel also works well on non-lifted 07+ JK Wranglers as a factory replacement) Approximate backspacing is 5.3"."

For the JK "The Pintler is a 17x8.5" wheel with all the features you've come to expect from AEV. This wheel was designed for lifted 07+ JK Wranglers running up to 35" tires. Approximate backspacing is 4.7". "

Not trying to one up ya, but want to make sure I understand this properly. There is a thread that goes over offset vs backspacing on the forum somewhere.

I have a wheel - not Pintler - but with the same specs and don't have similar issues. One thing though is I have the weights on the outside facing part of the rim.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    With the BFG 285/70s there is little room for fiddling with the offset. Right now, with the 25mm version, the clearance within the wheelwell is less than 1/2". Going to the 10mm Pintlers will probably cause tire rubbing (admittedly, better than wheel rubbing though). Before I bought the Pintlers, I tried Mickey Thompson Classic IIs which had a -12mm offset and there was enough rubbing that I had to return them.

AEV told me that they have a WK in their shop with the same setup and they would look for the cause but had never seen it before. I am wondering if the JBA UCAs are the issue? They may be changing the geometry and I doubt if AEV has experience with them.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    Copied from AEV XK description "The Pintler is a 17x8.5" wheel with all the features you've come to expect from AEV. This wheel was designed for lifted on non-lifted 05+ Grand Cherokee (WK) and 06+ Commander (XK) with up to 35" tires. (This wheel also works well on non-lifted 07+ JK Wranglers as a factory replacement) Approximate backspacing is 5.3"."

For the JK "The Pintler is a 17x8.5" wheel with all the features you've come to expect from AEV. This wheel was designed for lifted 07+ JK Wranglers running up to 35" tires. Approximate backspacing is 4.7". "

Not trying to one up ya, but want to make sure I understand this properly. There is a thread that goes over offset vs backspacing on the forum somewhere.
    I know how offset/backspace work. And you can look up conversion charts online if you don't know how to calculate it. They mis-printed something on their website, the "approvamaetly 5.3 backspace" is for the JK wheels that have +10mm offset, not the XK wheels that have +25mm offset. Look it up.

Here's the low down that's 100% fact:
    For an 8.5" wide wheel to have 5.3" backspace, the offset MUST be around +14 to +15mm.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Well without hijacking the issue I think the simple fact remains that I have an 8.5" wheel with +25mm offset and do not have the same problem that TrialByFire does. Matt - Let me ask you this tho - if they mistakenly sent him the JK wheels could that be the source of the problem? I know that is unlikely but you never know.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Oh yeah man... I wasn't saying that was definitely the root cause for his issue. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

If they accidentally sent him the JK wheels with +10mm instead he would have more clearance in that location and not interfere with the tie rod... hmmmm, maybe they sent you the JK wheels?? Lol that would be kind of funny.

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    Well without hijacking the issue I think the simple fact remains that I have an 8.5" wheel with +25mm offset and do not have the same problem that TrialByFire does. Matt - Let me ask you this tho - if they mistakenly sent him the JK wheels could that be the source of the problem? I know that is unlikely but you never know.
    I should emphasize that the scraping only happens with major flex--not under normal loading. We actually solved the problem today by rebalancing with stick-on weights inside the rim and by doing a bit of grinding (1/4"?) on the tie rod. It still looks like it will hold up to the abuse a tie rod sees. Time will tell.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000

Thought I better update my garage with some pics of the new Fox 2.0 Resi shocks.

I running them at 200 lbs and the ride is a bit stiff until I get a couple hundred pounds in the back (like tools, camping gear and my spare) then things get smooth as glass.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    Congrats on the new shocks! They look great, but I know they ride even better then they look What length did you end up going with?
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
    Congrats on the new shocks! They look great, but I know they ride even better then they look What length did you end up going with?
    I got the 12" extension model.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information