PDA

View Full Version : King coilovers!!

Matt
08-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Hey guys... doing some searching tonight and I found the King Coilovers are available for XK's and WK's!!

Part number is 25001-163. They're designed for 2-3.5" of lift. Current price i've seen is $1400 for the set (about right for resi coilovers).

According to the King Catalog, they say that "custom lengths are available". I sent them an E-mail asking how much a 3.5-5" coilover would cost for our vehicles.... that would be ideal in conjunction with the 4" Superlift.

If that's drastically more, I bet the 2-3.5" coilover with a .5" spacer (totaling up to 4.5" lift) would work quite well.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/ShowProductImageaspxFileNamee92de30ce157-1.jpg

Figured i'd get the word out there. Found the price at DezertDepot: http://www.dezertdepot.com/products/Default.aspx?car=42-829-2007

:cool:

Oh, and for anyone who thinks the price is steep... take a look at the JBA 2-4" coilovers. Save a grand with the King's... I'd use that $1000 savings to buy some JBA UCA's and 4xG Sliders https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

I'll let you guys know what King says when i get their E-mail back. I'm hoping that a 3.5-5" set is basically the same price (i'd think these are just about built to order...)

Sal-XK
08-02-2011, 07:15 PM
That's awesome man great find!!

TrialByFire
08-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I love options! Who knows how long my Bilstein struts will last?

Matt
08-02-2011, 07:53 PM
I really think we're at the beginning of a whole host of aftermarket parts for our vehicles.... so this is definitely good news and supports that theory!

Interested in seeing what the longer version will cost. if they're ridiculous in price then i'll just end up with the 2-3.5" version and a spacer. Hell, im tempted to go that route regardless just so I can fix my front end sag while I continue to save up for the SL...

hoaxci5
08-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between a strut/spring combo and a coilover? I tried searching so I didn't look like a fool, but all I could come up with was that a coilover was adjustable. Is that the only advantage? Can you adjust dampening, rebound, and preload?

Matt
08-02-2011, 08:16 PM
3 main features:

1) Adjustability
2) Longer length spring allows for a more optimal spring rate and damping control. Basically, the longer the spring, the less the spring force will change for a given range of motion. Result is better ride, control, and predictability offroad.
3) More suspension travel (depending on which, limiting straps may be required).

Matt
08-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Oh and yes, with these you can also adjust the damping by increasing/decreasing pressure in the reservoir. Not all coilovers allow that though.

cico7
08-03-2011, 04:03 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between a strut/spring combo and a coilover? I tried searching so I didn't look like a fool, but all I could come up with was that a coilover was adjustable. Is that the only advantage? Can you adjust dampening, rebound, and preload?

i was hoping someone would ask these questions...

IamJEEP
08-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Great find Matt.

Now here is a question.....What would you prefer? Coilovers or OME lift?

Doc in AZ
08-03-2011, 08:55 AM
complete waste of money.... you'll never use even a fraction of the capability of that shock.

i've been doing business with king since they were a start-up and building in their garage. a reservoir is good for when you are getting the shock oil hot from all the cycling up and down like a desert runner. a good set of pro-comp mx-6 adjustable shocks is all you really need and they are about a hundred bucks a piece.

Matt
08-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Great find Matt.

Now here is a question.....What would you prefer? Coilovers or OME lift?

That's not even a question.... if I can afford them, coilovers without a doubt. There's a bit more to their design than what meets the eye, even in my posts thus far... and it has more to do with than just the resi. Having delved into some suspension design in my day, I'd put the comparison between OME and Coilovers along the lines of the 3.7L QTI vs the 5.7L QDII in XKs. If given the choice, and money wasn't the main problem, the decision is easy.

Affordablity here is the key. Are they worth almost $1000 more than the OME setup? That's very dependent on what YOU want. Like doc said, a lot of us wont use these shocks to their potential. Want adustability? Throw a 1/4" spacer above the OME...done. Is the ride of the OME HD too stiff for you? Get over it... or spend the extra grand. Etc.

Ironically. ... Docs point works with his stuff too. I'm going to send probably 2 or 3 times the cost that I would for a Rola Rack to have him build me one.... and the overall difference in performance for how ill use it probably wont be much. So should I just get the rola? Not much different of a scenario here.. it depends on what type of build you're looking for. When we go offroading you're not going to say "damn I would have been able to do that if I had those coilovers". Its really the other features that you have to determine if they're worth it for you.

Adjustability, ride quality and bling are my 3 main reasons. I can wheel with my RC spacers and still do just fine on the trails. But building off-road rigs is one of my hobbies and also love going to truck shows. I'd love to build this XK to a point that's very functional and will also catch some attention at the shows I attend. We already know it'll catch looks offroading regardless of what suspension I put in it lol. And I do want to be able to tweak my ride height. We'll have to see what happens next year. I still have to save up for the SL first!

OK lunch is over.... back on the road. 2.5 hrs left to Norfolk.

Edit: got checked into hotel and put some extra thoughts in above.

IamJEEP
08-04-2011, 09:12 AM
I totally agree......I've had coilovers in all my Tuner/Euro cars before the Commander and wouldn't think of any other suspension to use. I never raced any of those vehicles but loved the handling they gave them. I can't justify the $$$ for the Commander right now for that set-up, but when I can....I will. The main thing for me with coilovers is the adjustability and handling factor, not so much the bling. But, they do look badass under a lifted vehicle.

Matt
08-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Well, some unfortunate news. I was quick to jump the gun on this one... thought that by dezertracing having the coilovers listed for sale that they were released for production. Turns out that's not the case.

I replied back and asked if they at least plan on getting these parts out there soon. Also told them that im an ASE Tech and Aerospace Eng, so I'd be willing to work on test fitting a set and whatnot as a pre-production run if it'd help to get the product out there sooner (i'd imagine they dont have many local WK/XK people screaming for coilovers).

The response:

Our work load is just too great to take on building a new kit at this time. We will keep you in mind if we decide to take up the project again. Also thank you I will send an email to dezert depot on the matter.

It probably wouldn't hurt if you other guys who "may" be interested in these in the future to send them some E-mails as well. Let them know there is interest in this market (albeit somewhat minor interest right now... but that's kind of how the Coilover market is for every vehicle... Usually its only a select few on each forum i've been on will get them)

Sal-XK
08-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Lots of bad news this week for our platform uh?

Holaday07 4.7
08-08-2011, 11:32 AM

What else happened?

Matt
08-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Well at least its not like King killed a product line.... they identified a market and created the part numbers, they just have turned on the final R&D to get production going. I'm still hopeful we'll see some products in the near future.

IamJEEP
08-08-2011, 11:59 AM

This is not looking good for the XK/WKs........

Matt
08-08-2011, 12:02 PM
What else happened?

Sal bought an XJ.....

IamJEEP
08-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Sal bought an XJ.....

He did? Unless you are talking about that 6" lifted red beast in the driveway.

AcidCold
08-15-2011, 07:51 PM
very disappointing! I was saving up for a set since JBA's are just way to expensive! I might as well go with OME. :(

Matt
08-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Send them an E-mail man!

Hell, there's probably 4-5 guys on this site alone that would seriously consider a set. JBA is just way overpriced..... to the point where it's not even a question.

Matt
09-07-2011, 04:28 PM
OK we're back in business. I have some email traffic going on with another sales rep...

It is available we sell a couple sets a month it just clunks due to the factory unibody. It will give you 2.5-3in of lift. Standard and retails for 1500.45. We can make it to any length longer that you would like for 1700.45 (100 per shock for a custom shock is CHEAP!!!) and the rear is 834.75 and add the same cost for custom length shocks.

I'm inquiring about the "clunking". I doubt the clunking is caused by the unibody... that just doesn't make sense (we'd all be clunking then). So we'll see where I get with that.

From there i'll see about what type of adjustment range we can get and determine if there's one that will work in conjunction with the superlift (challenge there will be the fully extended length would have to be pretty long or you'd limit down travel once the superlift is installed).