PDA

View Full Version : Painting / Undercoating underside of Vehicle

okiecommander
08-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I am wanting to do the undercarriage of the XK. Por-15 Rust Preventative Paint followed by their ChassisBlack was what I was thinking. Ideas, comments, suggestions are welcome. Has anyone done this before?

IamJEEP
08-04-2011, 10:43 AM
I have done it on some previous project rides I have had over the years. It's messy, especially painting upside down. You will also have to make sure that everything you want to paint is completely clean or it will not stick properly.

Unless you plan on keeping this Jeep for a very long time, I don't see the need for it. Do you get a lot of road salt where you live?

It's not difficult by any means, just time consuming. If you decide to persue this, please do a write up for others in the future.

Holaday07 4.7
08-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I live in a high road salt area, and I have always just used Spraypaint to cover any metal areas. Takes just a couple minutes, plus the solid black helps me identify where I have scraped offroading. Just how I do it

Sal-XK
08-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I actually have some test spots already done under my XK. Just giving it some time to see how things hold up. I have rustoleums bed liner spray and there basic flat black spray under the jeep right now. The bed liner has some texture to it but its not that bad at all it doesn't have huge bumps of texture in it it's very subtle. I'll post up which way I'm going after these paints have some time under there.

Holaday07 4.7
08-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Cool, I will post of the gloss black, Textured stuff to me would be a negative just because it would hold dirt or mud. Slick easy to clean surface is what I was going for.

okiecommander
08-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Sweet thanks for the info. I plan on having this jeep for as long as it will have me. We already took our vows. I have already noticed some surface rust so I want to get that taken care of then move to prevent future rust.

Sal-XK
08-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Cool, I will post of the gloss black, Textured stuff to me would be a negative just because it would hold dirt or mud. Slick easy to clean surface is what I was going for.

Good point I think I will crawl under there and find a spot for a third test strip of some gloss.

Holaday07 4.7
08-05-2011, 04:05 AM
shoot I forgot to do pics last night sorry. It has taken me months now to get all the mud from Mudfest off, and I figured it would have to be easier to clean if it was all painted.

Matt
08-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Ill be doing mine this fall... just some black spray paint for me (I used to use flat.... but might try gloss).

cico7
08-05-2011, 04:23 AM
Ill be doing mine this fall... just some black spray paint for me (I used to use flat.... but might try gloss).

spray it with PAM and see if that helps it slide off....or a spray wax

Holaday07 4.7
08-05-2011, 05:46 AM
spray it with PAM and see if that helps it slide off....or a spray wax

The Mud guys do this on their tires, never thought to try it before going wheeling.

IamJEEP
08-05-2011, 08:49 AM
The Mud guys do this on their tires, never thought to try it before going wheeling.

A lot of people do that here around lovebug season to help wash off all the dead bugs on the hood/bumper/grill areas.

cico7
08-05-2011, 09:39 AM

A lot of people do that here around lovebug season to help wash off all the dead bugs on the hood/bumper/grill areas.

With PAM or wax?

NeilSmith
08-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, guys at the track been using PAM for years on their quarters to keep the rubber from sticking. Mud sucks though. Here, we have red clay mud and is freakin stains everything. I hate the stuff.

IamJEEP
08-05-2011, 11:27 AM
With PAM or wax?

Pam....

pjmjr508
08-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah, guys at the track been using PAM for years on their quarters to keep the rubber from sticking. Mud sucks though. Here, we have red clay mud and is freakin stains everything. I hate the stuff.

red clay here as well & it has stained everywhere in my jeep & not happy, how to get the stains out?

NeilSmith
08-05-2011, 12:24 PM
red clay here as well & it has stained everywhere in my jeep & not happy, how to get the stains out?

dont get it in there to begin with ? LOL ! I dont know, I have socks that have been stained for a long time, it doesnt matter how many times you wash em either.

pjmjr508
08-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Not what I wanted to hear. Also your way to late. I mean there is red clay stains ALL THRU OUT THE INSIDE OF THE JEEP EVERY WHERE!!!!!!!!. Keep in mind I had 7 people crawling in & out of the jeep while it was pourning rain & playing in the mud while camping for 3 days. So all over all the leather seats & carpet & dash & doors. I have been trying to get cleaned for the last 2 months.

cico7
08-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I went in the ohio river once in socks...they started out white. Were dark brown when I got out. what was left was brown....

Holaday07 4.7
08-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Not what I wanted to hear. Also your way to late. I mean there is red clay stains ALL THRU OUT THE INSIDE OF THE JEEP EVERY WHERE!!!!!!!!. Keep in mind I had 7 people crawling in & out of the jeep while it was pourning rain & playing in the mud while camping for 3 days. So all over all the leather seats & carpet & dash & doors. I have been trying to get cleaned for the last 2 months.

Last resort just pay somebody.

Sal-XK
08-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Last resort just pay somebody.

Ya bro short of some steam cleaning and harsh very hard to use chemicals I think your scre***

pjmjr508
08-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Kinda figured, just 300 is a lot right now for me.

Holaday07 4.7
08-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Kinda figured, just 300 is a lot right now for me.

Groupon man. Got the commander done for $46.00

pjmjr508
08-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Now I have to look in to that.