PDA

View Full Version : 4wd and 2wd differences

fosh69
08-06-2011, 12:03 PM
I just have a question for those in the know:

Is a 2wd commander electronically controlled limited slip? I have the awd '06 limited and realize that doing gear changes in these diffs are difficult mainly due to the computer controlled QDII system... so what does the 2wd guys have?

This is a lead-in question for a bigger one.

I've noticed very limited interest in the solid axle swap on these rigs and I think that is due to the QDII system (while an awesome system) limits the drivetrain options. So why not take a 2wd and go from there? At that point you could get a transfer case/trans and axle of choice... essentially downgrade the QDII to a more mod-friendly manual system.

I haven't put a huge amount of research into it, but the idea just came to mind. Any thoughts?

Sal-XK
08-06-2011, 03:20 PM
You start with the QT2 system and you are dealing with two open diffs at the point. There are lockers available for the rear not sure about gears.

Holaday07 4.7
08-06-2011, 04:38 PM
I would stay with a 4 wheel drive if you are doing a sas. There would still be massive amounts of custom fab work and figuring out the uptravel of the solid axle to worry about.

fosh69
08-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I would think you'd be figuring out axle up-travel either way... My thought was, to expound a little, to utilize the computer for a 2wd and graft in your 4wd sfa of choice... the computer would never have to know that front axle is there. Then with say, lockable hubs, you would get the benefits on pavement of the 2wd but still be able to wheel (with 35's+) when you wanted. It would undoubtedly take away the modern convenience of AWD, but if you still had the traction control in tact, it should be every bit as good as a modern 4x4 pickup on the roads.

I don't know too much about it, just brainstorming. I suppose if you're still making payments, it's not as practical an idea.

Matt
08-07-2011, 06:05 AM
If i was doing an SAS on an XK, i'd toss the OEM rear axle as well; upgrade the complete set. It really wouldn't matter 2 or 4wd because either way you're going to run into issues with the sensors that will need to be programmed out.

BUT, 2WD would be a good idea to start with since you will want to mate up a manual T-Case that gives you 2WD. I wouldn't want to run an AWD SFA setup, which is what you would get using any of the XK's t-cases.

Sal-XK
08-07-2011, 06:53 AM
I agree a clean slate starting with a 2d commander would be a good idea for sure. I guess you wouldn't have to worry about all those sensors getting in your way. You would just have to install the ABS kill switch and stuff like that or it might get made when wheeling in 4wd.