PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's official... back to school!

Matt
08-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Starting my Masters back up in the Spring. Just had a meeting with the engineering department today and they're bringing classes on site. Will be a part time Drexel student after winter (might as well knock it out now while my kids are young!!)

pjmjr508
08-09-2011, 03:07 PM
GL with that Sir, I need to finish my MBA. Hopefully I will be able to put time in with in the first few months of 2012

AJeepZJ
08-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Congrats dude... I should be wrapping up my masters this time next year. Gonna knock it out while I have NO children, lmao.

Matt
08-09-2011, 03:38 PM
lol i hear that man. I started my MS right out of school, but then i switched jobs and was a contractor. I could have continued taking classes as a contractor but didnt want to have to pay the company back if I got offered to convert to a civilian employee. Then, as i expected, i was converted as a civilian employee and figured that I could start classes back up. Nope... the program used to convert me wasn't funded for graduate classes, so I had to wait until I graduated from that program.

4 years later... im finally able to start back up 814

LWM
08-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Good for you, I was 48 when I finally got my Masters Degree.

Matt
08-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I hope to have my PhD by then!

Seriously though, that's my plan. I'll eventually get my PhD, get my PE license, and then when i retire I plan on starting my own little consulting firm. (yeah, im young... but i've always been a "big picture" type of guy)

AJeepZJ
08-09-2011, 04:41 PM
I was talking to a few buddies about this the other day. I'm so exhausted from school. When I started my Masters I was sure I was going to get my PhD afterwards. Now.. I'm just not so sure - I'm tired of being a poor grad student, lol. If the economy turns around and the market is doing well, and I can get a job. I will just go that route. But if the economy is still running on 'E' I think I'll end up getting my PhD it'll probably be in Biochem, Toxicology, or Forensics.

Matt
08-09-2011, 04:57 PM
That's why i went the route I did... in the MAE field, you're much more marketable with just a BS since companies don't want to pay more for a "fresh out" MS grad and not know what to expect in terms of real world performance. Plus, any company worth working for has a good tuition reimbursement benefit. So i don't mind taking one class a semester to slowly knock out my masters. (The PhD will be out of my pocket though)

CmmdrDan
08-10-2011, 05:23 AM
Awesome Man. Good luck. I wish I had that drive. Maybe once I have my career Ill get back in it.

IamJEEP
08-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Thats great news bro, knock'em out cold! I need to go to school for a different career, just don't know what to go for......Good luck.