PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue

CmmdrDan
08-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Ok. So I believe it is the battery. But i just went out to start it and it sounded like the starter wasnt engaging. Tried it a couple more times and it started. But it was making a sound like it was the starter not catching the gears right. Matt can you check the book about the starters on the 3.7L's? Thanks Any ideas on what it is? Im gonna pick up a battery tonight. Cause Im sure this is the oem battery.

LWM
08-10-2011, 02:05 PM
If you are on your original battery you are most likely correct, a battery lasting almost 5 years is a good thing but likely to be the cuase of your lack of starting.

There have been starter issues but my money would be on the battery as well.

Most auto parts stores will check the battery for free and let you know if it needs replaced. Wal-Mart has good prices and many after market battries will work inthe space provided for the Commander as the rack is enormous. I have a yellow top in there now.

Sal-XK
08-10-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm going to go with the batter don't mess around to long with it just change the thing bro.

AJeepZJ
08-10-2011, 02:19 PM
These Jeeps act really weird with a failing or dead battery. Mine died in the middle of downtown Greenville, this time last year. It's no Atlanta or New York - but having a battery die in the middle of an urban area is by no means a picnic. My Jeep was throwing tranny codes, and sensor codes left and right. Then I tried a few things out and isolated it to the battery - So thats what I did - My OEM battery lasted me 4 years. - I tossed in a Mopar battery, didn't know anything about Optima batteries then. She's been fine since.

cico7
08-11-2011, 05:57 AM
On "the other forum" was a battery discussion regarding battery testing. The old testing equipment put a load on the battery
and that would tell if you if the battery would hold a charge. The new equipment oftens says the battery may be charged, but
doesnt put a load on the battery. Some of the newer testers are wrong.

The battery is far less expensive to change in time and money than the starter. but 5 yrs or 50,000 miles, time for a new battery.

Sal-XK
08-11-2011, 07:35 AM
On "the other forum" was a battery discussion regarding battery testing. The old testing equipment put a load on the battery
and that would tell if you if the battery would hold a charge. The new equipment oftens says the battery may be charged, but
doesnt put a load on the battery. Some of the newer testers are wrong.

The battery is far less expensive to change in time and money than the starter. but 5 yrs or 50,000 miles, time for a new battery.

That's true my understanding is the new testers use a mathematical equation to determine if the battery is good not actually put a load on the battery so there getting a lot of false positives.

CmmdrDan
08-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Well I got a new battery last night. I went to auto zone and they wanted 154 bucks for whatever brand. They had an Optima for 169..I didnt get it. Im sorry that is just to much for me right now. Went to walmart and got a 109 dollar battery.

Matt
08-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Don't know why I didn't are this thread sooner. Either way my answer would have been "no, I'm not opening the book... you need a new battery" lol.

CoreyZ
08-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Maybe that awesome girlfriend of yours will surprise you with a new Optima? :D

CmmdrDan
08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Haha she told me know when I told her the price of the regular autozone one. haha

CoreyZ
08-11-2011, 12:55 PM
We really gotta teach you to sell things to her better! lol

CmmdrDan
08-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Well she wants to buy me a tattoo and get the windows tinted before Jeep week which is the 28th

EvilJager
08-14-2011, 06:39 AM
Well she wants to buy me a tattoo and get the windows tinted before Jeep week which is the 28th

Have you got either yet?!?!?!

CmmdrDan
08-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Windows will be done this week.

CoreyZ
08-15-2011, 07:38 AM
What ink you getting?

EvilJager
08-15-2011, 07:41 AM
I heard he was getting " all hail chris north"

CmmdrDan
08-15-2011, 07:41 AM
What ink you getting?

Will either be a crab outline with the maryland flag colored inside. Or if you google "blackbeard's flag" and theres one that looks like it is "waving" all tattered and torn. I was thinking that. Im a big pirate guy. already have a skull and crossbones on my inner bicep. I am thinking a pirate sleeve would be badass.

CoreyZ
08-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Will either be a crab outline with the maryland flag colored inside. Or if you google "blackbeard's flag" and theres one that looks like it is "waving" all tattered and torn. I was thinking that. Im a big pirate guy. already have a skull and crossbones on my inner bicep. I am thinking a pirate sleeve would be badass.

What kind of message are you sending with tats of crabs and pirates!?!?! lol

Ive got a lil bit myself, getting more done over the course of the next year or two. Gonna get my whole upper back and right arm done as well as a new tat on the inside left forearm.

Right now I got:
My right shoulder

My right inner forearm (live drunk, die dreaming)