PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Thompson MTZ Failure

WanderingTs
08-10-2011, 11:57 PM
I posted a thread after Camp Commander 2010 when I noticed that my tires had lost some fairly sizable chunks on Black Bear. It seemed like excessive wear, but others said they had lost some rubber also. I had never had a tire lose chunks that way before. I thought, "Well, now I have something to remember Colorado by."

A couple weeks ago, I ran parts of the Rubicon trail (before i get mobbed over this part - pictures taken - writeup pending, it is hard to get time away from work to post). After returning home, I am missing about a 3" in diameter circle of tread, all the way down to the threads, on one of the rear tires.

I asked the place I bought the tires about the warranty they supposed came with and was told about all the fine print. Basically, due to uneven tire wear (anything more that 1/32 from one side to the other), they consider it to be an alignment or vehicle issue. This is a bunch of horse leftovers. The tires don't have excessive uneven wear. Teach me to try to give some business to a local shop. I bought these tires, after some research, on their recommendation.

I guess my concerns were well placed. After talking to a few other people running the same tires, it appears they are not the same quality they used to be when they were first introduced. Rumor has it ( I haven't checked) the tires have been discontinued. The remaining three tires all have noticable chunks missing from the tread lugs, just not down to the threads....yet.

So, as of tomorow morning, my XK will be sporting a new set of Toyos. Expensive, but not nearly as expensive as a 4X4 tow out of the back country. I just can not go the places I want to go without reliable equipment. I may keep one of the better Thompsons as a full size spare on a junk rim, but at this point I question even that.

Sal-XK
08-11-2011, 02:26 AM
I'm running the maxxis big horns MT's. There wearing down great and I have tons of miles of rock crawling on them. There a cheaper option at just under $200 installed per tire.

Holaday07 4.7
08-11-2011, 05:47 AM
My BFG Muds have whole lugs missing. Cant complain for $25 a tire used, but it still worries me. Now post stuff on the Rubicon, lol

pjmjr508
08-11-2011, 10:01 AM
My BFG Muds have whole lugs missing. Cant complain for $25 a tire used, but it still worries me. Now post stuff on the Rubicon, lol

I have the SXT MT's I like them, great traction, just can't air down to much will pop a bead @ 20psi (if yours doing stupid things like me lol)

still want to see the rubicon pic's

Sal-XK
08-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I should add that I air my tires down to 12PSI all the time no issues with that either. I think I have about 15k on them now and they still look good and the tread wear is perfect but I do rotate every 6k with my oil change. Here is a pic of a little tire flex going on :)
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/100_4689JPG-1.jpg

NeilSmith
08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I run Duratracs and love em. I air down to 18 or so. They grip nice, wear well ( rotate every 6K ) and look good. I got a couple of tears in the sidewall from tree roots or rocks at Uwaharrie but never leaked, yet . :)

Sal-XK
08-11-2011, 03:19 PM
You can't rock crawl with out some type of damage on the sidewall thats impossible. It's how the tire holds up to that damage that counts. Like Neil's tires small cracks here and there but no real issues putting a 5k LBS jeep down on sharp rocks you'll get something to happen.

Holaday07 4.7
08-11-2011, 04:16 PM
I dont air down, so that may be my problem. I blame my hangover on most wheeling trips for not wanting to take the time to do it, lol

NeilSmith
08-11-2011, 05:01 PM
If you dont airdown, not only will you not get enough traction but you will get a flat. Imagine taking a kids balloon and blowing it up. If you blow it up all the way and poke it it will pop pretty easily. Now if you only put half that air in it it will absorb a lot more and it takes a little effort to pop it.

Holaday07 4.7
08-12-2011, 04:13 AM
If you dont airdown, not only will you not get enough traction but you will get a flat. Imagine taking a kids balloon and blowing it up. If you blow it up all the way and poke it it will pop pretty easily. Now if you only put half that air in it it will absorb a lot more and it takes a little effort to pop it.

So far so good. I dont have an air compressor, however I do see the benifits of airing down, I just dont.

WanderingTs
08-13-2011, 02:47 AM
Here are some photos of the failure:

My Toyo Open Country replacements are now happily installed.