PDA

View Full Version : Flag Poll Knob / August 19-21, 2011

Sal-XK
08-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Flagpole Knob (http://jeepdex.com/Flagpole/Aug2011/Aug2011.htm)

A group is getting together to go camping at Flagpole Knob in George Washington National forest. It's always a good time click the link above for more information.

AJeepZJ
08-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Awee - This scheduled on the same weekend as my Uwharrie maintenance trip, but I will go to this event. It's just a matter of if I decide to leave Friday or Saturday.

EvilJager
08-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Wish I could go but had already canceled plans and made new ones already :(

cico7
08-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Awee - This scheduled on the same weekend as my Uwharrie maintenance trip, but I will go to this event. It's just a matter of if I decide to leave Friday or Saturday.
Come Friday so we can start early Saturday........

cico7
08-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Wish I could go but had already canceled plans and made new ones already :(
How far away are you? there will be more!

AJeepZJ
08-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I will see how the cards play out - Friday and that weekend are pretty busy. I want my ZJ squared away and gracing the parking spot my XJ once stood in so I can stop feeling weird every time I walk to my WK. But At the latest, I will be leaving Saturday around 12 from Troy, N.C. The earliest would be Friday Night.

Sal-XK
08-13-2011, 09:45 PM
AJ you do realize its about an 7hr drive bro

AJeepZJ
08-14-2011, 05:37 AM
AJ you do realize its about an 7hr drive bro

Yeah, guess i'm not going................................. to Uwharrie.
I need to buy some camping stuff... All mine blew away that last time I camped out at Carolina Beach. Sal when are you leaving??? I don't have classes on Wed-Fri. I could probably meet up with you and trail ya.. Ur probably coming up 95 right... or 95 to 40?

NeilSmith
08-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Here is my schedule. My wife and 7 year old daughter will be making the trip this time, a first for both of them. Also will be their first time camping without water and electricity hookup or a bath house, this will be something to see.
I am planning on leaving my house Friday morning at at 8:00 am sharp. This is dependent on them but they know that I will leave them if they aren't ready. That will put me in Harrisonburg at 9:30 to 9:45. I know the way to camp so if there is anyone who is going to be making the trip at the same time and would like to meet up and follow me , post it here. Meeting up is never a problem so please dont be afraid to ask. I think I am the closest member to Flagpole so I kinda feel like a host, although Cico is the one who set this trip up. I have lived here in Va since 1982 and feel like a native Virginian. I will do my best to provide some southern hospitality to everyone, even Sal if he shows up.( he's a CONVERTED southern gentleman ).

Sal-XK
08-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Not sure If I'm going to make it yet but If I do I'm sure I have enough camping gear for both of us no need to go buy any. Last few times I went I don't think I took 95 at all. I've had a lot of things pop up on me lately which I've posted about. Wife's AC and top motor mount needs fixing, new furniture need purchasing, my oil needs changing and my PS3 might need replacing WTF been a bad two weeks man its all putting a dent in my account. Oh and I just bought a JEEP LOL!

AJeepZJ
08-14-2011, 08:40 AM
lol - the Jeep was probably the cheapest fix/purchase of the entire list. If you want, we can carpool - I'll split gas if it helps any. Get ur STUFF together!

NeilSmith
08-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Sal, my daughter keeps asking me if you are coming and bringing Sal with you. She wants to play Bay Blades with him. :)

CmmdrDan
08-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Might be in on this. About a 4 hour drive for us. A.J. I need you to do some convincing of Mia.

cico7
08-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Sal, Bill and little bill will be there too..(ME07XK)

NeilSmith
08-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Sal, Bill and little bill will be there too..(ME07XK)
Cool. I haven't seen anything out of him lately.

cico7
08-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Cool. I haven't seen anything out of him lately.
roughly speaking:
neilsmith
AJ
cico7
ME07
detroitmaurader
holaday
littleevil
Sal?
Romeo?
xkdriver(from Columbus)
i know i missed someone.....

HueyPilotVN
08-14-2011, 02:07 PM
I have a couple of questions. Where are you planning on setting up camp, on flagpole knob? What is 257 like as a road and what is the dirt road like that you turn on to for the final section. Could you drive a large truck on it? What is the earliest that anyone will be there? I am over by the New River gorge and thinking about making it to Flagpole if possible. Don, I am sending you my cell phone number in a PM, Call me.

NeilSmith
08-14-2011, 02:30 PM
You can get a truck all the way to the gravel fire road. I wouldnt take anything larger than a full size pick-up on the fire road. Not to say that you couldnt but it is very narrow and difficult to pass oncoming vehicles. There are many hunters this time of year that are training their dogs getting ready for bear season so the chances of meeting a truck on the fire road is pretty good. In some places we had to get over in the bushes and could barely pass, there just arent many places to pass cause the road goes along a ridgeline, a steep bank on one side and a drop-off on the other. Now there is a small campground near the entrance of the fireroad, within a few miles. Hone Quarry Recreation Area, but only has 10 sites.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/vbwt/site.asp?trail=2&loop=MNR&site=MNR04

NeilSmith
08-14-2011, 02:38 PM
For you guys that may be new to Flagpole, you will be about 30 minutes from the nearest store. 257 Grocery is just a small local convenience store / gas station. They have basics but are not a grocery store by any means. Bring what food you need but if you need something / forgot something we could always arrange a stop at the store, we always need to get ice and what not. The trails tend to dump you out on the road somewhere and we loop back around past the store on the way back to camp. As far as meals go, bring whatever you wish, bring a grill, and have at it. We do tend to share among everyone and meals end up being a big family meal, very laid back. Feel free to do whatever makes your trip happy. If you wish to treat everyone to the local steak house in town , that can be arranged also. LOL !! Just kidding.

cico7
08-14-2011, 02:41 PM
257 isn.t bad, kinda curvy, but otherwise smooth.
briery branch gets tight but the Flag Pole fire road, is rough.

Right at the corner across from the 257 grocery is another grocery type store.
This is the guy that gave us the wood, I have his phone number.
I imagine he could help find a place to park your motorhome.
I could ask if you could park there, but there wont be any hook ups....

NeilSmith
08-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Aint nothing like gettin' a full hook-up ! Oh, you mean for the motor home. Oh.......nevermind. :)

AJeepZJ
08-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Just out of curiosity will any children under the age of 21 be attending...

NeilSmith
08-14-2011, 04:04 PM
My daughter Mia will be there , she is 7. Bill's son Bill is 7 or 8. If Sal comes and brings Sal, he is 8 I think.

AJeepZJ
08-14-2011, 04:10 PM
My daughter Mia will be there , she is 7. Bill's son Bill is 7 or 8. If Sal comes and brings Sal, he is 8 I think.

Oh ok - I only ask because it's a long drive - Any drive more than 3 hours during the day makes me prone to end up in a ditch. So I was thinking of bringing a companion. I'll be a G-rated companion, IF sal doesn't come, lol. :)

cico7
08-14-2011, 04:19 PM
My son will be there.
He is under 21. By 3 months.

AJeepZJ
08-14-2011, 04:25 PM
According to one of my friends, apparently I need to clarify my post, lol. I hate when people read over my shoulders.

I wasn't sure if it was kind of like a 'Guys Weekend' kind of deal or if it was a 'Family Weekend' type deal - Because that would influence who I would bring. But I've decided to just go solo. Unless SAL comes! Sal's is like a big brother to me! I wanna be like Sal! (But i only want one kid) lol.

cico7
08-14-2011, 05:02 PM
........But I've decided to just go solo. Unless SAL comes! Sal's is like a big brother to me! I wanna be like Sal! (But i only want one kid) lol.
AJ, a couple ground rules before you come.
1) no streaking before the kids go to bed
2) no well i dont remember the other rules.

NeilSmith
08-14-2011, 05:14 PM
its all good. its always been a family event and always have been kids present. we sit around and have a few beers but thats about it. theres not a whole lot of trouble one can get into in the middle of the national forest. LOL

Sal-XK
08-14-2011, 05:22 PM
You guys crack me up LOL

CmmdrDan
08-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Well we just got invited to a Birthday party. So we wont be coming. Too bad then there would be two Mia's there.

AJeepZJ
08-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Well we just got invited to a Birthday party. So we wont be coming. Too bad then there would be two Mia's there.

That means that you had the opportunity to say you had other plans... "Thank you for the invitation, we do wish you a happy birthday, and would have loved to attend your party.... BUT - WE have already planned a camping trip this weekend"

of course, if you didn't want to go. You could say "Guys if it had been a little later, we'd go - We just came from camping in the OBX" I wouldn't have touched that because I get home sick after a while. But you didn't use that one, you used Birthday Part.

I'm just going to shake my head in the highest level of disappointment, and go to bed. Good night, Sir!

Little Evil
08-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Just out of curiosity will any children under the age of 21 be attending...

My son is 13, and daughters 9 and 7 will be coming. Guess I should start putting the Jeep back together so I can go...

AJeepZJ
08-15-2011, 05:37 AM
I'm going to update my status for this event. If Sal is not going to be able to go, I will probably just end up doing the trail maintenance @ Uwharrie. Only because it was a prior commitment - and for some reason I'm still on their attendance list for this weekend.

NeilSmith
08-15-2011, 05:55 AM
:(
:(:(:(:( lol!

AJeepZJ
08-15-2011, 05:59 AM
What is this... this unsportsmanlike behavior!

Harass, Sal to go!

NeilSmith
08-15-2011, 06:59 AM
What is this... this unsportsmanlike behavior!

Harass, Sal to go!
We all want Sal to come, we want everyone to come. The more, the merrier. We're just giving you a hard time.

NeilSmith
08-15-2011, 08:16 AM
........:(.................:(

....:(.......:(......:(.......:(

.:(................:(................:(

you need to get a job. LOL !!!!

cico7
08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Cajn & family
Friend & family
------------
NeilSmith & family
cico7 and Ben
Holaday & Gf
Detroitmaurader & Gf
Little evil & family
brendenV
Xkrider
ME07XK
Sal?? No
AJ?? no
Huey?
Romeo? no

NeilSmith
08-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Mid 80s, small chance of isolated t-storms. It has started cooling off a little here in Central Va, it was 61 at 6am this morning. Im at 300 ft elevation, Flagpole is at 4000 ft so it may dip into the 50s at night and low 50s or so if it rains at night. Lets be prepared this time. :)

cico7
08-16-2011, 03:03 PM
avg rainfall is 4.45 for august, its thier rainiest month.
WEATHER LINK (http://www.summitpost.org/flagpole-knob/151590#chapter_7)

cico7
08-17-2011, 06:39 AM
1 Day to Flagpole
Flagpole August 2011 (http://jeepdex.com/Flagpole/Aug2011/Aug2011.htm)

Holaday07 4.7
08-17-2011, 06:55 AM
I am frustrated and sad to say that I have to now work on Friday. I have a bid opening that I must attend (too much cash on the line) and myself, my fiance and our son will no longer be able to make it. It is too far to drive after work on Friday. I am really sorry to miss this and was really looking forward to meeting everyone. Hopefully you guys will do this again soon :( Take lots of Pics so I can be even more angry later...

CmmdrDan
08-17-2011, 07:37 AM
I am with Holaday on this one. We need to do a monthly or Bimonthly meet up. Maybe not so much in the winter. But this seems like a good central point for everyone..no?

cico7
08-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Cajn & family
Friend & family
------------
NeilSmith & family
cico7 and Ben
----------------------
Detroitmaurader & Gf
Little evil & family
brendenV
Xkrider
Huey?
---------------------
Sal and Family ?? No
AJ?? no
XJdriver No
Romeo Raquel? no
Holaday & Gf no
ME07XK No

Who will be the next to fall?

Holaday07 4.7
08-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Uhhh its a hell of a drive for me, but I think it would be cool to do a camping/wheeling trip for sure. I was soo mad when the RFP came out and the bid opener is on my vacation days. What can you do...

Holaday07 4.7
08-17-2011, 07:57 AM
Cajn & family
Friend & family
------------
NeilSmith & family
cico7 and Ben
----------------------
Detroitmaurader & Gf
Little evil & family
brendenV
Xkrider
Huey?
---------------------
Sal and Family ?? No
AJ?? no
XJdriver No
Romeo Raquel? no
Holaday & Gf no
ME07XK No

Who will be the next to fall?

Sorry man, I was really looking forward to this

cico7
08-17-2011, 09:59 AM
I am with Holaday on this one. We need to do a monthly or Bimonthly meet up. Maybe not so much in the winter. But this seems like a good central point for everyone..no?
Wait, this is from the guy that passed us up to go to a birthday party? No. I don't think so, Dan.

Oh yeah, next months ride is with Holaday in St louis......:p

edit: No, wait, he didnt pass us up, he changed his plan from Flagpole so he could go to a birthday party.

edit edit: You missed my speeling error - birthday policy too much insurance on my mind I guess......

CmmdrDan
08-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Wait, this is from the guy that passed us up to go to a birthday policy? No. I don't think so, Dan.

edit: No, wait, he didnt pass us up, he changed his plan from Flagpole so he could go to a birthday party.

Im sorry..please dont eat my soul..:(

cico7
08-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Im sorry..please dont eat my soul..:(
You sound like my son now......

Holaday07 4.7
08-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Wait, this is from the guy that passed us up to go to a birthday party? No. I don't think so, Dan.

edit edit: You missed my speeling error - birthday policy too much insurance on my mind I guess......

That would be great, but I dont see this happening anytime soon. Only chance I am going to get to wheel with you guys is to head East.

Sal-XK
08-17-2011, 01:55 PM

Bimonthly meet up ;) we have a hard enough time getting people to the Annual meet ups. With the dates posted 11 months in advanced hahahahah

Holaday07 4.7
08-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Bimonthly meet up ;) we have a hard enough time getting people to the Annual meet ups. With the dates posted 11 months in advanced hahahahah

We are just too few and far apart.

cico7
08-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Holaday and I are both midwestern region as the rest of you are EC, other Caleb. Are you South or east Caleb?
Anyway, finding a "central location is tough. I am a good 9 hours out. detroit is 10-12,
No I think Moab would be more central...

Holaday07 4.7
08-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Cico where are you located? I didnt know I had another midwesterner (sp?/real word).

cico7
08-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Cico where are you located? I didnt know I had another midwesterner (sp?/real word).columbus oh

Holaday07 4.7
08-17-2011, 07:17 PM
columbus oh

Cool thats not too too bad. If you are in a Jeep club ther give me a heads up on their next trail run, I need a weekend out.

cico7
08-18-2011, 08:16 PM
i am here. roads in rough shape, water really chewed up the traillightening so we are back in the trees, didnt want to be the highest point on the mountain top.

Holaday07 4.7
08-19-2011, 05:27 AM
Damn I wish I was out there this weekend.

pjmjr508
08-19-2011, 09:20 AM
have a safe & great weekend

cico7
08-19-2011, 06:26 PM
We are here and its raining heavily. Today was good

Sal-XK
08-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Bad weather always makes flag pole more enjoyable. I wish I was there.

EvilJager
08-20-2011, 04:03 AM
Bad weather always makes flag pole more enjoyable. I wish I was there.
I thought you were going??? I guess the idea of you doing my garage floor got you excited :D

Sal-XK
08-20-2011, 08:34 AM
I thought you were going??? I guess the idea of you doing my garage floor got you excited :D

I wish man just bad timing I guess my plate is full at the moment and I just can't break away. I'm taking a break on Sunday and taking the XJ out for some wheeling. :)

AJeepZJ
08-20-2011, 08:47 AM
I wish man just bad timing I guess my plate is full at the moment and I just can't break away. I'm taking a break on Sunday and taking the XJ out for some wheeling. :)

That's what I wanna hear!!! I see you and the XJ are getting along very well. But you didn't chose her. She chose you.

NeilSmith
08-21-2011, 03:18 PM
We got home at about 4:00. We all had a good time, even Romeo who had some mechanical issues. Weather wasnt bad, mainly a little rain on Friday morning . I had to set up camp in the driving rain then it stopped after I was done. Pics a little later. I didnt take many and no video but the others did.

NeilSmith
08-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Ok, so Romeo, Don, and I were riding and went thru some water. We went thru one hole and Romeo's XK just died on him. The hole wasn't deep at all, never even covered the fog lights. He sucked up a bit of water and that was that. Don towed him back to camp so we could get a better look at it. We started pulling plugs and they were looking ok till the ones in the back, both sides. Got em all out, cranked it over and shot water all over the engine bay. Did this a few times then blew some compressed air down in each cylinder trying to dry it out. Put the plugs back in and after a few times she started back up and cleared up. Cool right ? Not ! Went riding again and now it runs hot. The damn fan went tits up. He got a generic elec fan at the parts store and put it on there and wired it up to the factory wiring and it worked with the thermostat. It still wasn't perfect but so far it has gotten them to Philly and seems to be able to get them home. We had six vehicles, including one JK, with a total of 18 people camping. Here are a few pics.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/007-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/008-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/0123-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/120-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/100-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/111-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

EvilJager
08-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Looks like you guys had fun... I like all the rigs! Its nice not seeing all wranglers all the time now

AJeepZJ
08-22-2011, 05:06 AM
great look'n group of rigs and folks. I wish I could have made it. I just had too much stuff to clear up before classes started. I didn't get very far this weekend. But i'm glad you guys had a good time. If you don't mind me asking, who is who in this pic? I recognize some folks but not others.

NeilSmith
08-22-2011, 05:25 AM
L to R
Romeo
Don ( Cico )
Don's son Ben
then Cajun's friends and their son and daughter, sory dont rember their names. they had the JK
then its my wife Margie and I and our daughter Mia
Blake ( Crz Cajun ) and his two girls
Chris ( Goterdid ) and his sons

NeilSmith
08-22-2011, 05:39 AM
by the way, heres how the water got in the intake. the water level didnt come over the fog lights so it was nowhere near the intake in the grille. Romeo has removed the factory airbox and installed a K&N intake. Below the filter, the sheet metal apron has been cut open. I assume this was to allow more air to get to the filter. Problem is the right front tire just slung all that water directly up through the hole right on to the filter. There is a lesson to be learned here for everyone, I think. Something to take into consideration when doing mods and the reason I find it amazing that guys would remove their fender liners and leave em out. you are asking for trouble.

IamJEEP
08-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Looks like a great time! Where are the wheelin pics?????

IamJEEP
08-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Holaday and I are both midwestern region as the rest of you are EC, other Caleb. Are you South or east Caleb?Anyway, finding a "central location is tough. I am a good 9 hours out. detroit is 10-12,
No I think Moab would be more central...

SouthEast......

NeilSmith
08-22-2011, 09:03 AM
i didnt take any pics, my wife took them. she never got out of the Jeep while on the trails. we didnt do much trail riding. kinda like Sal's weekend, mechanical issues held us back a bit. very good time though.

cico7
08-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Some Pics....

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/20110819_200047_211-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/20110820_143816_950-1.jpg

Dont Smoke...
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/20110819_211004_769-1.jpg

Bad for you.....
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/20110819_211000_192-1.jpg

cico7
08-22-2011, 11:04 AM
My Machette mod
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/20110818_120224_662-1.jpg

More Pics (https://picasaweb.google.com/104482082063124697988/FlagpoleKnob8192111)

NeilSmith
08-22-2011, 11:21 AM
that pic link no workie for me.

Holaday07 4.7
08-22-2011, 12:12 PM

x2

cico7
08-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Try again....U2

NeilSmith
08-22-2011, 12:30 PM
same

cico7
08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
did you refresh?

same

NeilSmith
08-22-2011, 12:52 PM
yeah, closed out browser twice. it just says this :
Oops... there's nothing to see here. Either you do not have access to these photos, or they don't exist at this web address. Please contact the owner directly to gain access.

cico7
08-22-2011, 12:55 PM
ok should work now

More Pics (https://picasaweb.google.com/104482082063124697988/FlagpoleKnob8192111)

pjmjr508
08-22-2011, 01:29 PM
I got this link as soon as i click on it
"Oops... there's nothing to see here. Either you do not have access to these photos, or they don't exist at this web address. Please contact the owner directly to gain access"

NeilSmith
08-22-2011, 01:30 PM
still doesnt work. im at work and never have problems viewing anything. i will try at home.

cico7
08-22-2011, 01:45 PM
I give up.
If you want to see my pics, we uhhh....

still doesnt work. im at work and never have problems viewing anything. i will try at home.

cico7
08-22-2011, 01:50 PM
ok, i had the security set to me only.....duh....
those ID10T errors cause the mouse to be off....

Holaday07 4.7
08-22-2011, 03:44 PM
8.88 a gallon! its 3.24 here, that hurts bad! Looks like you all had a great time. I am soo mad i missed this

NeilSmith
08-22-2011, 04:16 PM
I see em !!

NeilSmith
08-22-2011, 04:28 PM
the lift and new wheels/ tires made a big difference on the pop-up. I like it. Im looking at getting one but it has to have the ground clearance. May go the same route you did for that.

cico7
08-22-2011, 06:01 PM
the lift and new wheels/ tires made a big difference on the pop-up. I like it. Im looking at getting one but it has to have the ground clearance. May go the same route you did for that.The 12" wheels made a difference. the one hairpin turn near the entrance with its big deep cut didnt swallow the trailer like it might have.

cico7
08-23-2011, 09:07 AM
http://youtu.be/TSpfdu05TFY

http://youtu.be/dDCGw9EbNzk

http://youtu.be/pfBcIeg30FQ

Sal-XK
08-23-2011, 09:53 AM
looks like you guys had fun sorry I missed out maybe next time.

cico7
08-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Yes, we did have fun. What's worse, you werent there to build shelters and wind breaks!
But camping in the trees was nice, we were out of the wind and lightening.

looks like you guys had fun sorry I missed out maybe next time.

Sal-XK
08-23-2011, 01:56 PM
I wanted to go man just a crazy time for me right now and no end in sight LMAO

NeilSmith
08-24-2011, 04:54 PM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/Untitled-1.png

Sal-XK
08-24-2011, 05:26 PM
You guys and that water LOL

NeilSmith
08-24-2011, 05:33 PM
You guys and that water LOL
I was trying to wash my wheels. :)

pjmjr508
08-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Nice

AJeepZJ
08-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Thats a nice pic, Neil.

NeilSmith
08-26-2011, 04:58 AM
Thats a nice pic, Neil.
thanks. Its not too bad considering its a screen shot from a video then cropped down. LOL

cico7
09-05-2011, 06:18 AM
There is a flagpole knob group on facebook. if you have been there or going there have a map of a trail, pics...
please join. Post pics. I want an open resourse for information for the Flagpole Knob area. Search Flagpole Knob groups
on FaceBook.