PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Type of Offroading

AJeepZJ
08-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Whats your favorite type of wheeling guys

Matt
08-11-2011, 08:59 AM
With my full-size truck on 37s it was all about mud.... thing was just too big for trail riding.

With my XK I like rock,trails, climbs, etc.... a bit slower paced and more technical.

LWM
08-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Well sand & mud are out of the question iz AZ, so I had to go with rock & snow (high country).

My favorite is anywhere there are a bunch of friends doing the same trail!

pjmjr508
08-11-2011, 09:14 AM
I enjoy both Snow & Rocks/Mud

AJeepZJ
08-11-2011, 09:15 AM
It's a tough one I still struggle with, lol. I like the thrill of mudding and I love all the mud on my Jeep but don't care for the clean up. I love the beach, but it's not very tough. I like rock crawling, but always afraid of jacking something up. Snow is always a nice feeling - But I'm going to have to go with rock crawling (in the spring if I had no A/C in the XJ - and it was hot as Satan's... I will have to go with rock and dirt - mudding/snow/sand come at a very close 2nd, lol.

Btw, Knapp - I saw a couple of the pics of your WK - you have one serious machine, lol.

CmmdrDan
08-11-2011, 09:21 AM
It's a tough one I still struggle with, lol. I like the thrill of mudding and I love all the mud on my Jeep but don't care for the clean up. I love the beach, but it's not very tough. I like rock crawling, but always afraid of jacking something up. Snow is always a nice feeling - But I'm going to have to go with rock crawling (in the spring if I had no A/C in the XJ - and it was hot as Satan's... I will have to go with rock and dirt - mudding/snow/sand come at a very close 2nd, lol.

Btw, Knapp - I saw a couple of the pics of your XK - you have one serious machine, lol.

Fixed it for you. Ive only been through two. Sand is boring but fun when you get speeds up..Mud is ok. Didnt have much snow to play in.

CoreyZ
08-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Trails for sure.... Not big into krawling, but the nice scenic trails are always a blast!

I work in the mountains... so snow is a normal thing for me lol

Sal-XK
08-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Went with Rock\Sand I love the beach and chilling out there but get my kicks on the rocks I didn't name my XK BAM! BAM! for nothing :) We don't get snow down here but last year we got caught at Uwharrie in a freak snow storm it was kinda fun.

LWM
08-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Btw, Knapp - I saw a couple of the pics of your WK - you have one serious machine, lol.

Thanks, I like your XK too. :)

hoaxci5
08-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Really I love it all, but having to pick it would be rocks or snow.

AJeepZJ
08-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks, I like your XK too. :)

I'm allowed type-o's once in a while.

IamJEEP
08-11-2011, 11:54 AM
STREET.....it's all about the mall curbs, baby!

hoaxci5
08-11-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm allowed type-o's once in a while.

That wasn't a typo it was a sin. :p

NeilSmith
08-11-2011, 02:54 PM
The beach is wonderful but " wheelin " in the sand was lack luster. I know only two guys who ever got stuck at the beach, one was in a Honda Ridgeline and the other was , well... you know. :D It seems that you cant go in the mountains without being surrounded by rocks and I hate mud. I would like to try some low country , forest trails once.

Budasac
08-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately I've never experienced rock crawling so I can't comment. I love just cruisin a trail in the woods and don't mind mud ( I find cleaning my rig to be therapudic) but I've spent most of my time on sand and snow. I gotta say, I do love bombing around in deep snow while everyone else is spinnin' their tires.

A while back I had a trip to Vermont planned and we got hit with a blizzard the day before. I got up at 4am to find there was a state of emergency declared in NJ. I was the only one on the road. Not even the plows were out. Couldn't even tell where the exit ramps were on the highway ( I drove over quite a few curbs and probably a bunch of other stuff too.) Might not have been the smartest thing to do but we had lots of recovery gear (heading to VT in Jan) and there was no way I was going to miss a ski trip because it was snowing.:rolleyes: Although it was kind of a white knuckle ride I found it to be pretty relaxing.:)

So... I picked snow.

BTW, I think I had my WJ at the time.

Holaday07 4.7
08-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Hate Sand, Hate snow. I gotta admit its just too much fun to be messing around in the mud pits, but rocks is where the challenge is at for me, so that takes the cake. Tough tip-toeing a giant jeep through a rock feild, just gets the adrenaline pmping. You forgot Hillclimbs and decents, they pucker me up as well.

HueyPilotVN
08-12-2011, 02:37 PM
I got my Jeep to use as a "Go Anywhere" vehicle. I like to explore back roads and jeep trails. I do not especially look for tough trails but rather like the idea that I can usually find a way thru most any obsticle on most common trails. I added the second 30 gallon gas tank so that I would not have to worry about turning around if a trail seemed to long. I try to avoid snow, because I do not like to be cold. However, Once I was exploring the logging roads in teh Trinity Alps north of Redding, California west of Mt Shasta and crossed over to the west side of the ridge. The entire way down the mountain I was busting thru snowbanks using downward momentum. Half way down I realized that if there was not a road at the bottom I might be in big trouble. Worked out ok as there was a road. I usually avoid mud because it never all goes away with cleaning. I guess I would vote for dirt trails that go somewhere. I go out alone too much but I do have recovery gear and a winch that workd on either end of the Commander. I am in West Virginia now. They have lots of trails and mostly they call them roads.

NeilSmith
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Huey,what part of WVA are you in and for how long ? Anywhere near Harrisongurg Va and RT 33 ? If so, Flagpole trip is next weekend. :)

WanderingTs
08-12-2011, 06:29 PM
I have found snow to be a pain. I am as armored as I can get underneath. While you would think this would lead to surfing across the top of the snow drift, I have found it more often acts as a skim, piling snow in front of the rig and bringing me to a high centered grinding halt.

My favorite wheeling area is in Northern CA volcano country and is a great rock area. I tend to be up there when there mud is around, so I see some of that too. It is great to know though that any mud pit I go into is only there because of the rock bowl at the bottom and that even if I get stuck, I can dig out.

My only real sand experience was in Moab on the way to WCCC. It was new and interesting. Looking forward to more of it is 2012 if I can make the Moab trip.

Not too much beach driving available in CA as it is seen as "environmentally unfriendly" at lakes or the ocean. Your car might drip a drop or two of oil and that is just unacceptable to tree huggers. Not to mention here they think you should feel guilty just for having a V-8, or a gas powered anything, etc ,etc..... More and more places are getting closed off and gated....

Ok, off my soapbox.

HueyPilotVN
08-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Huey,what part of WVA are you in and for how long ? Anywhere near Harrisongurg Va and RT 33 ? If so, Flagpole trip is next weekend. :)

I am within a mile of the New River gorge bridge, close to Oak Hill on Hwy 19

Omelet
08-15-2011, 10:10 AM
The beach is wonderful but " wheelin " in the sand was lack luster. I know only two guys who ever got stuck at the beach, one was in a Honda Ridgeline and the other was , well... you know. :D

Hmmm! I think Hoaxci5 has some experience with sand! :D

I enjoy dirt and rock. Just hitting a dirt trail to see the sites is enjoyable. I love rock crawling though. Taking your time to navigate the obstacles is a lot of fun. And makes for good entertainment for those watching!

Mud is fun while I am in it, but as soon as I get home I immediately regret it. The cleanup is so annoying! Plus with how much of these Jeeps rely on electrical components makes them a nightmare!

Sand is fun at first, but the thrill quickly fades. You can only go up and over so many dunes before it just gets old.

hoaxci5
08-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Hmmm! I think Hoaxci5 has some experience with sand! :D

Yup.. expensive tow when you are by yourself on a weekday on the beach.

AJeepZJ
08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
lol I like this smiley btw.... :D :D... looks like he's having so much fun.

cico7
08-15-2011, 11:30 AM
lol I like this smiley btw.... :D :D... looks like he's having so much fun.
You know why he is having som much fun??? He went to FLAGPOLE!!!!. :D :D... .

Ok, can we see who voted for what???

AJeepZJ
08-15-2011, 02:47 PM
You know why he is having som much fun??? He went to FLAGPOLE!!!!. :D :D... .

Ok, can we see who voted for what???

Lol I told you I'd go if Sal goes, lol. We are two beers in a cooler!
...edit: separated by a lot of ice

I didn't select it to show who voted which way - did I fail? :(

Matt
08-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Just another thought... i love the snow and wheeling in it, but its more of an "addition" to other wheeling types. For example, i love trail riding in the snow... but during summer its just trail riding. Same with mudding... i've gone mudding in the snow, which makes it more fun at times (worse when you get stuck though), but its not really a "wheeling type", its just a weather condition. It'd be like adding "raining" to the list... would you prefer to wheel in the rain or not?

pjmjr508
08-15-2011, 03:54 PM
I do like to wheel in the rain, you have to approch each section differently then when dry, in turn makes it harder & you have to watch what your doing. (Hope that makes sense... lol (it did in my head))

AJeepZJ
08-15-2011, 04:05 PM
I don't care for wheeling in the rain - can't roll my windows down or roll back the sunroof. These luxuries are important to Pretty-Boy Jeep offroaders. And besides, I might get water on my immaculate leather seats and stains on my vinyl.

cico7
08-15-2011, 05:39 PM
I didn't select it to show who voted which way - did I fail? :(
No you didnt fail....it would be nice to see who voted for what....we all know Caleb voted for mall crawling
(street wheeling)

wmjacobsjr
09-23-2011, 07:44 PM
I love to wheel through the snow, mud, sand. Water fording is fun also. Love it when he go on the trails at JeepSkool where you have to through water.

cherrybomb05
09-28-2011, 04:12 PM
I wanted to select street but since I ride atvs i chose dirt/rocks. Its mostly dirt, but there is sand dunes where I ride.