PDA

View Full Version : Courtesy Lights Stopped Working, Auto headlights Stopped Working

Chapman89
08-16-2011, 08:55 PM
So another issue has shown up with the XK. First the auto headlights/ auto wipers stopped functioning now my courtesy lights will no longer turn on regardless if I push the lens or open the doors.

Its little things like this that piss me off about this Jeep. I don't have the time/money to let the Jeep dealership screw around with it.

Is there some sort of main control module that may be linked to these issues? I'm getting tired of the headaches. I still haven't figured out why my AC makes the vehicle shake and tighten up the steering intermittently.

If someone could give me an answer on one of the three problems I'm having I'd be very pleased!

Thanks,

Nick

Sal-XK
08-17-2011, 02:24 AM
Clutch on the compressor or the compressor could be going bad that would cause those issues. I'm pretty sure you can just get the clutch for it check rock auto out. There should be modules and fuses for the lights I just don't know which ones and can't look that up on my phone. Check the alternator out put at idle with all the accessories turned on to

Matt
08-17-2011, 03:10 AM
Check your fuses?

superacerc
08-17-2011, 04:02 AM
Clutch on the compressor or the compressor could be going bad that would cause those issues. I'm pretty sure you can just get the clutch for it check rock auto out. There should be modules and fuses for the lights I just don't know which ones and can't look that up on my phone. Check the alternator out put at idle with all the accessories turned on to

How does the A/C compressor clutch failing cause the auto headlights/wipers or courtesy lights to not function? I've never heard the corelation between the two made before. Just curious.
Fuses or modules are a definite possibility. Talking about auto on items, The auto wipers work off a sensor as well as the auto head lights. Maybe there is a sensor malfunction.
Fuses are the most simple so check those first. It's probably something simple.

Sal-XK
08-17-2011, 04:10 AM
There is no correlation bro he said he was having several problems I was addressing the AC problem with the clutch idea. The lights are a separate problem by them selves. I also mentioned the alternator because under heavy load his engine is having issues.

superacerc
08-17-2011, 04:14 AM
Sorry sal. I just realized he mentioned the AC after the rest. I didn't read it thoroughly enough. Haveing missed that totally it sure seemed odd to need to replace the AC comp. to fix the headlights.

cico7
08-17-2011, 05:17 AM
After my runaround with my XK slipping into traction control, engine dropping back and finding it was a fuse
under the hood from an add on wire, nothing surprises me.

Electrical issues cause weird things to happen. It is all related.
Test all your fuses under the hood. You can use a continuity
tester across the open ends of the fuses.

Check the battery with a load on it.

Have you done anything to the Jeep recently?

Nick, is your AC cold? could it be leaking?

Sal-XK
08-17-2011, 05:21 AM
Sorry sal. I just realized he mentioned the AC after the rest. I didn't read it thoroughly enough. Haveing missed that totally it sure seemed odd to need to replace the AC comp. to fix the headlights.

LOL I figured you missed something bro. :) no big deal

Matt
08-17-2011, 05:21 AM
Don't forget the fuses under the dash.

CmmdrDan
08-17-2011, 05:22 AM
Nick have you had problems with your dash lights flickering? Mine do but if I tap the multifunction switch it tends to stop. Multifuntions switch is the one on the left of the steering wheel. From my understanding it will cause all kinds of light problems within the jeep. It should be to hard to replace either I believe it is one screw. When I looked into it, the part was only like 70 bucks not to bad.

Sal-XK
08-17-2011, 05:29 AM
I'm docking him cool points if he asked without checking the fuses :)

AJeepZJ
08-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Nick have you had problems with your dash lights flickering? Mine do but if I tap the multifunction switch it tends to stop. Multifuntions switch is the one on the left of the steering wheel. From my understanding it will cause all kinds of light problems within the jeep. It should be to hard to replace either I believe it is one screw. When I looked into it, the part was only like 70 bucks not to bad.

That was the first thing I thought when I read his posts.

Matt
08-17-2011, 05:39 AM
Happens to the best of us.... I blew a fuse and my trailer lights weren't working. I didn't think to check the fuse at first, thought it was the harness since my tail lights worked. Little did I know the trailer harness was on a different circuit!

superacerc
08-17-2011, 05:44 AM
Happens to the best of us.... I blew a fuse and my trailer lights weren't working. I didn't think to check the fuse at first, thought it was the harness since my tail lights worked. Little did I know the trailer harness was on a different circuit!
I had the same issue when i moved to texas pulling my car behind the xk. Didn't know why the trailer lights weren't working and everything else worked. Realized that with the tow package add on they had a whole different circuit for the trailer lights.

Chapman89
08-17-2011, 07:17 AM
I haven't done anything to the XK lately.

I'm going to check the fuses again, honestly I only checked the fuse box under the hood. I'll definitely check the interior fuse box. I was thinking it could be the multifunction switch as well. I removed it yesterday and cleaned the contact point. However if its failing cleaning won't fix it. When the auto headlamps/wipers stopped working it was so sudden. I went into the gas station with them working, left the gas station and they stopped working.

The only module I can think of is the Front Control Module.

As for the AC issue... I had the Jeep dealership look over the compressor, they said it operated fine. I'm wondering if its power steering related because the Hemi XK's have a hydraulic systems. I'm wondering if the power steering pump is failing, possibly causing it to stress harder when the AC is on.

Sal-XK
08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Well check ALL the fuses especially with a sudden failure like that :confused: The dealer ship from what I understand in checking your AC will only check your high and low side pressure and the temp blowing out the vents. If all those are in range then its fine if there not standard answer you need a new compressor. What exactly is going on when you feel the engine struggling can you duplicate it?

Chapman89
08-17-2011, 02:34 PM
I'll definitely check the fuses when I get off work tonight around 7.

As for the AC issue, it occurs most frequently on hot days when I'm traveling at low speeds around town.

Within a minute of turning on the AC the fans kick on and spin extremely fast as if the vehicle is over heating. The Jeep vibrates/shakes for a bit and the power steering gets somewhat tight as if its fighting back at you. It does this briefly, maybe a minute or so and eventually stops.

I had an AC test done at Jeep, they said it operates fine and blows at the correct temperatures. So I'm sure that's they ruled out the compressor. Also the tech never actually heard the vehicle act funny which figures.

I'm wondering if its something electrical on this issue as well. Maybe some sort of sensor/relay/module/etc is telling the Jeep to "cool down"? Or it could be power steering related. For all I know the Hemi XK's might all kick the fan speed up with the AC on briefly but I highly doubt the steering is supposed to get tight and vibrate.

Who knows, it's almost cool enough outside to let it go for now...

Chapman89
08-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Okay, something to add.

The courtesy lights do work when the doors are shut and the vehicle is running. When you open the doors they don't turn on.

So is that indicating a sensor or switch malfunction or could that still be a fuse problem???

Matt
08-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Are you turning them on manually or trying to turn them on via the switch? There's a setting on the switch that keeps the lights off when you open the doors.... are you sure its not on that setting?

Chapman89
08-18-2011, 08:15 AM
I have the multi-function switch set on the second to last setting. The one with the timer I think. The last setting turns on the foot well lights.

Matt
08-18-2011, 08:41 AM
If you turn the switch to the full "on" position, do the lights turn on?

When the door is open do you get a notice on the dash? Try to rule out other systems such as the prox sensor for the door thinking its still closed when its not

Chapman89
08-18-2011, 08:56 AM
If I turn it to "full on" only the foot well and cargo light comes on. I thought all the lights were supposed to come on?

If I open the door it says "door open" on the evic display

Matt
08-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Hmmm.... I'm starting to agree with it being a bad switch.

NeilSmith
08-18-2011, 10:54 AM
may sound dumb but make sure each light hasnt been turned off seperately by pushing the lense. my daughter turned on the rear dome light and it freaked me out cause it wouldnt go off with the rest.

Chapman89
08-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Neil, I did that already. Actually I remember mentioning it to you at Camp Commander because I noticed all your lights came on when you opened the door. Mine were intermittently working at that time.

So I'm wondering if its entirely possible that this multi function switch is failing or a fuse associated with it. But on the other hand if the switch was bad wouldn't it cause nothing to turn on?

AJeepZJ
08-18-2011, 01:15 PM
That would be the primary difference between something failing and something that has failed. You have the symptoms of something that is failing, eventually it will just stop working. I've replaced a multifunction switch on a previous vehicle when the headlights would not turn on, but signals and everything else associated with the switch worked great.

But yes.. it could still also be a fuse or a relay

Chapman89
08-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks A.J. that would make sense. I suppose I could order switch and pray it works. Heck, I might be able to return it if nothing changes.

AJeepZJ
08-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Or sell it - People asking for that thing often. But dont' forget to check fuses and relays if you haven't already - those are cheaper and relatively quicker to check.

Sal-XK
08-18-2011, 01:41 PM
That MFS can reek havoc on stuff trying to trouble shoot. Since it's so cheap to replace I would just do it you don't have much to loose bro.

Matt
08-18-2011, 05:47 PM
When a fuse goes bad, stuff doesn't act weird, it just stop working. When a MFS goes bad (or starts failing, semantics...) weird stuff can happen. There's so many connections within that switch that i've seen interior lights come on when someone tried turning fog lights on.... or to get the high beams to work they had to hold the lever at a special angle.

Granted im not a fan of just throwing parts at vehicles... but if all of your fuses are good and those are your symptoms, i personally would throw a MFS in there. $60 from rockauto...

NeilSmith
08-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Nick, I do remember the conversation we had now that you mention it. My memory isnt what it used to be. Did you check and make sure the lights havent been turned off.............. LOL !!

Chapman89
08-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Fuses are fine, I guess I'll be ordering the switch after all!

Now it would really make my day if it made the auto headlights and wipers work again!

AJeepZJ
08-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Autoheadlights - probably. Wipers, thats a different switch.

Chapman89
09-02-2011, 08:07 PM
As I was driving along this evening I hit a nasty bump and the road and the map lights randomly turned on just for a moment and went out! How strange is that???