PDA

View Full Version : Where are my MTB Borthren? I need a new rack!!

Matt
08-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Long story short, I just sold my Thule 964 Revolver bike rack. (FYI, you can only fit 2 29ers on it unless you take all the front tires off)

I'm looking for HITCH mounted TRAY style racks now.

Thule 916XTR T2
Yakima Holdup
Any others?

Anyone have any input?

Right now im leaning towards the 916XTR since its the newest release from Thule (supersedes the previous 916XT T2). Trying to keep the price point at $350 (that's what I sold my Revolver rack for... so that's sort of my budget here ;))

Matt
08-21-2011, 06:33 AM
I'm kind of liking the Kuat NV.... I need to sell my Thule ski attachment so I can buy this guy:

http://www.kuatinnovations.com/index.php?page=nv_images#nv_img/image07.jpg

IamJEEP
08-21-2011, 08:47 AM
What ever happen to roof mounting it?

Did you look at the yakima(sp?) Racks? They usually have nice ones for that price range.

IamJEEP
08-21-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm kind of liking the Kuat NV.... I need to sell my Thule ski attachment so I can buy this guy:

http://www.kuatinnovations.com/index.php?page=nv_images#nv_img/image07.jpg

This looks nice, but look at discountracks.com. They have some decent racks at good prices.

Matt
08-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Not enough room on the roof. I can mount the bike rack but the fork is too wide and hits the basket.

Matt
08-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Looks like im going to forgo getting a new rack this year. With some finnegaling i was able to get the bike in the back of the XK. Taking the wheel and seat off and maneuvering it into the vehicle doesn't take much longer than it would to add/remove a rack. So since we're so far into this season, i'll just save it for next spring... or maybe try to pick one up this winter on discount from somewhere.

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

IamJEEP
08-22-2011, 06:59 PM
This is what I do till I get a bike rack that I like. To be honest, it's not that bad putting it in there.......and if it rains, no big deal. I was considering getting a fork mount and attaching it to the jack cover so it stays put.

Matt
08-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Yeah its not that bad... would be a lot easier if i could put the middle seat down.

cico7
08-23-2011, 03:46 AM
why not build your own? 2" receiver tube, an upright post and 2trays to park the wheels
in. you have the skills.

my jeep with tires and lift is too tall to climb up and put a bike on....

IamJEEP
08-23-2011, 04:04 AM
why not build your own? 2" receiver tube, an upright post and 2trays to park the wheels
in. you have the skills.

my jeep with tires and lift is too tall to climb up and put a bike on....

Its cheap enough to just buy one, but they are a pain to carry from the condo downstairs to the Jeep (at least for me). Im going to try and set something up for the inside, but first gotta get a mud mat.

Matt
08-23-2011, 04:37 AM
There's a few reasons I don't want to build my own.... first is making the expanding clamp for the hitch to prevent sway is a PITA.... so its a bit more than just throwing a 2" receiver and hitch pin in there. Second, I often have 2 bikes on there (4 on a rare event) and the cheapest of those bikes has almost $2k into it, so a solid/proven carrier is worth the investment IMO. I can't stand when I see someone with a $4000+ carbon bike bungee corded to the back of a Honda civic (seen it)... spend $40 and get a trunk mount damnit!

So yeah, there's certain things ill draw the limit on fab'ing.. a bike rack is one of then. Hell look how much time I put into roof rack mounts..... lol I don't want to put the design time into a bike rack to get it up to MY standards; there's products out there I can buy already that I like. :)

Matt
08-23-2011, 04:40 AM
Oh, and inside is just a temp solution. I need an outside carrier for when I take the family with me and drop them off at the in-laws while I go riding.

IamJEEP
08-23-2011, 04:54 AM
Oh, and inside is just a temp solution. I need an outside carrier for when I take the family with me and drop them off at the in-laws while I go riding.

Dude, you have a roof basket now, put the family up there.....duh! ;)

Matt
08-23-2011, 04:58 AM
Then where do I put the post-ride beer cooler??? Duh. :p

IamJEEP
08-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Then where do I put the post-ride beer cooler??? Duh. :p

Good point, back to the drawing board.

NeilSmith
08-23-2011, 07:00 AM
i never understood how you get up on top to put the bike anyway, its way too high. just get a standard bike rack for the hitch and be done. you are talking about swaying, it cant possibly move in the hitch that much. i would like a good way to have a roof rack and receiver rack loaded up for the beach and be able to carry 3 bikes. maybe i need a trailer.

Matt
08-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Swaying is an issue. BUT I am going to get a bike rack for the hitch.... that's what this thread I'd about lol. Almost every bike rack on the market comes with a hitch mounting method to prevent sway/jostling of the bikes; so that's a non issue. I was only saying that would be an issue if I built my own.

Again, the main point here was getting others opinions on which tray style hitch racks they've used. We have quite a few mtbr's here so I figured some of the guys here have used some of the racks I'm looking at. For example there is a tray style rack pictured in the "post your mtb photos" thread. I believe that was the Yakima Stickup....

Matt
08-23-2011, 07:12 AM
Oh, and FYI the way I'm setup is:
hitch hauler off front receiver for cooler/food
Bike rack off rear receiver
roof rack for other cargo

I'm set for some good trips. :)

NeilSmith
08-23-2011, 09:26 AM
having a front receiver will come in handy. im looking at getting a pop-up now so my whole cargo plan will have to be rewritten.LOL

Matt
08-23-2011, 09:31 AM
I hear that.... I'm still missing my crew cab pickup truck with the load bars above the bed. That was nice, left me all the bed space and the receiver for towing the boat... (old mans boat)

strokeZ
08-24-2011, 06:21 AM
I use the Thule 954 Ridgeline - carry 3 bikes no problem - no 29'ers tho. The only thing I don't like about it is that the back up sensors alert all the time when in R (so I need to turn them off). I perfer Thule over Yakima becuase no one pronounces it correctly :cool:

Matt
08-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Yeah the ridgeline has the same prongs as the revolver. Can only fit 2 29ers on there (handlebars interefere with rear tires).

Going with a tray style rack from here on out... also helps if I take one of my buddies with me who has a full suspension bike.

AJeepZJ
08-26-2011, 06:40 AM
I'm think'n about doing a Hurricane MTB run tomorrow, lol. 50-75mph winds and rain, over treacherous terrain, roots, branches, boulders and rocks, several valley's and dips. The entire trail ways will probably look like creeks. It will be dangerous but also VERY fun (and possibly stupid) but still very fun.

pjmjr508
08-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Stay safe & enjoy yourself

AJeepZJ
08-26-2011, 08:40 AM
I won't do it by myself though, that would be really stupid. I have to have a strong biker come with me - otherwise it definitely won't happen, haha.

IamJEEP
08-26-2011, 02:20 PM
You are kookoo!