PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket TV/DVD Player

Holaday07 4.7
08-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Has anyone installed on of these in their Jeep. What brands are good? What ones are easy to instal and use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thank you

Sal-XK
08-21-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't think anything worth while is easy to install. Just think outside the box get something cool so you're happy the first time out.

Matt
08-21-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm just going to get each of my kids their own separate entertainment kit when they're old enough. Things like the PSP that play movies, games, etc. That way there's no fighting over what to watch or what to play, it doesn't matter which vehicle we take on our road trip, they'll work on airplanes, and (most importantly) I can use it when im on travel for work.

In other words, I think in-car DVD/Entertainment systems are past their time... it's a lot of money and effort for a "good" system, but then its still only useful in that particular vehicle. Portable devices are much better and more powerful.

cico7
08-22-2011, 05:34 AM
holaday, what do you want to accomplish? There are a nmber of options availale.
in dash dvd,cd, etc. I have a ps2 set up for my commander that can play through
the head unit. do you want it for you to use while driving (music) or for people in
the backseat, or you while our in the backseat? Drop down monitors, headrest monitors,
computer mounts. I've skyped while driving down the road from my laptop so there are lots
of options. i have a mifi for my laptop.

IamJEEP
08-22-2011, 08:34 AM
If you are looking for an in-dash, you can't go wrong with a Pioneer or Alpine. $.02

Holaday07 4.7
08-22-2011, 03:46 PM
No in dash, I need something to keep the kid happy as he is getting bigger and more active. Starting to be tough to go wheeling... I wanted the factory setup, but I stole this Jeep and was willing to overlook the lack of a TV and DVD.

Holaday07 4.7
08-22-2011, 03:47 PM
I had not considered headrest monitors either, those could be good if we have a second kid down the road.

NeilSmith
08-22-2011, 04:25 PM
I have a Kenwood with a flip out screen, dvd and Garmin gps built in. I love it. It has a/v inputs for game console or video camera playback, or back up camera. It is a lot to install, Crutchfield wanted $300 to do it, I did it myself. This thing retailed fro $1500 back in '03. If I was to do it again I would just use a portable gps and portable dvd player, both of which I had at the time of purchase. LOL !

pjmjr508
08-22-2011, 10:22 PM
I want to have the dvd setup in mine as well.
From my understanding with the factory setup with nav there is no way to hard-wire a dvd with flip down screen to the deck so it can be heard thru the sound system? I was told that the reason why the factory dvd setup works is because it was on a wireless system from the dvd head unit to the deck up front. Is this correct?

cico7
08-23-2011, 03:38 AM
agree, you cant use the gps and watch a movie at the same time!

........If I was to do it again I would just use a portable gps and portable dvd player, both of which I had at the time of purchase. LOL !