PDA

View Full Version : Lights

cico7
08-26-2011, 03:05 PM
I had this idea....I activated my DRL's some time ago. They operate off highbeams at low volts. I was thinking about putting my fogs on the wire for highbeam thwn my fogs would be the DRL's and I could make them brighter. Then i could use the fog switch for highbeam. It would also allow mw to have the low and high on at the same time.

Once DRL's are activated, they can not be deactivated.

NeilSmith
08-26-2011, 03:11 PM
I know in Va you can get a ticket for not dimming your headlights when meeting another vehicle. Will what you are thinking of doing cause problems when dimming headlights or will you simply be cutting the fogs off when you dim ? Im kinda lost if you haven't noticed. LOL

cico7
08-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Sure, if i had the brights on normal brights or fogs, i would dim them when someone came up whether i used the fog switch or bright switch.

AJeepZJ
08-27-2011, 07:35 AM
I know in Va you can get a ticket for not dimming your headlights when meeting another vehicle. Will what you are thinking of doing cause problems when dimming headlights or will you simply be cutting the fogs off when you dim ? Im kinda lost if you haven't noticed. LOL

That is one of those unenforceable codes. You can also get tickets for not having your lights on while your windshield wipers are running. Or you can get tickets for going 5 over. Neither will amount to anything more than a warning.

NeilSmith
08-27-2011, 08:02 AM
That is one of those unenforceable codes. You can also get tickets for not having your lights on while your windshield wipers are running. Or you can get tickets for going 5 over. Neither will amount to anything more than a warning.
Yeah its tpicall not an issue, unless you highbeam a cop. LOL

Sal-XK
08-27-2011, 09:19 AM
I had a cop flash me and turn his lights on but my bright weren't on I was just sagging in the back with a load nothing I could do but ignore him he kept driving.

LWM
08-27-2011, 09:26 AM
I actually got pulled over for failing to dim to an oncoming cop when I was about 17 years old, I did dim but I did not turn off my driving lights. I got the ticket!

Budasac
08-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I had this idea....I activated my DRL's some time ago. They operate off highbeams at low volts. I was thinking about putting my fogs on the wire for highbeam thwn my fogs would be the DRL's and I could make them brighter. Then i could use the fog switch for highbeam. It would also allow mw to have the low and high on at the same time.

Once DRL's are activated, they can not be deactivated.

Not sure if I'm following you. You basically want to swap your hi beam and fog light harness so you control fogs with high switch and highs w/ fog???

As far as having hi and low on at the same time, that's how it is from the factory. When you turn your hi-beams on your lows stay on but your fogs power off.

cico7
08-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Not sure if I'm following you. You basically want to swap your hi beam and fog light harness so you control fogs with high switch and highs w/ fog???

As far as having hi and low on at the same time, that's how it is from the factory. When you turn your hi-beams on your lows stay on but your fogs power off.
roughly speaking yes, that would put my drl's on the fogs.
If I remember correctly, I will check, the lows go off when high's come on. I do not have the factory connect to the fogs.

lekmedm
08-27-2011, 02:38 PM

Someone from Texas ;o) on the other forum once said that he was able to activate fogs for DRLs using an aftermarket programmer instead of going to the dealer. You might not have to mess with the wiring at all.

Matt
08-27-2011, 03:29 PM
If I remember correctly, I will check, the lows go off when high's come on. I do not have the factory connect to the fogs.

The lows stay on when the highs come on.

Do you want the fogs on with the dlr's or do you JUST want the fogs to be the dlr's?

pjmjr508
08-30-2011, 11:41 AM
If I read this correct the question is that you want the fogs as your DLR, if so yes it can be done with out having to mess with the wiring. When the Dealer sets up the DLR the choice is the fog's or the Hi beams (at least from what the dealer told me) this is new with the resent star scan upadate.

cico7
08-30-2011, 01:21 PM
I dont know if they can change it once it is set up but I will ask the service manager.
But, if I do that, the DRLS go out when the headlights are on, so that would but out my fogs.
Since it isnt the factory hookup for fog lights, probably wouldnt work together.

1USMC
07-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Another question on the topic of fog lights.

Does anyone know an easy way to keep your fog lights on when you switch the hi beams on ?

madrock
07-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Another question on the topic of fog lights.

Does anyone know an easy way to keep your fog lights on when you switch the hi beams on ?

You can run a relay and tap into the parking lights. That way the fogs will remain on as long as the parking lights are on. It would require you to add a switch.