PDA

View Full Version : I de-badged, but have a small problem.

DetroitMarauder
08-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I de-badged my XK today and I am overall happy with the way it turned out.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_1721-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_1722-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_1719-1.jpg

But there is an issue with de-badging the lift handle. There are two small shallow holes and the outline of "Jeep" that can be seen when you get close enough. It is bad enough that it bugs me. Anyone have suggestions on ho or if I can fix this? Thanks.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_1720-1.jpg

cico7
08-29-2011, 11:56 AM
I debadged and have the same problem. After a while, you forget about it.
I am sure there is a way.

NeilSmith
08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
other than having that area sanded, filled, and painted, you have to live with it

harvy3317
01-17-2012, 11:25 PM
This is a really easy fix. Just remove the plastic or ether use painters tape and tape it up really good edge to edge. Lightly sand the plastic just good enought to get a bond for the paint application. Next take some filler and you can use bondo or filler of some sort (dont buy a huge thing, just a small amount). Fill the holes up and let them dry. Now re-sand to make it even with the plastic and go over the plastic again one for time and please make sure to keep tape on while sanding (dont wanna scratch paint) lol. Now remove the tape and air off or wipe down the area and clean it off. Now tape up again and use newspaper to cover the back end of the vehicle and distance around the plastic within 3 feet or so. Try not to paint in windy conditions as paint will be carried by the wind, lol. *If this becomes the case with paint over spray from the wind or your own fault then use Meguiars Ultimate Compound which will remove anything ontop of the clear coat and not damage your clear coat, paint and will even bring the vehicles looks too :) . Now use a flat or semi gloss black and use about three coats and allow 30 minutes between coats for drying.

Trust me once you are done it will look great and like nothing was ever their before.

Note: Try and use a good paint and not cheap crap. I would recommend Dupli-color paint which can be found at auto stores.

Adondo
01-18-2012, 11:57 AM
If you REALLY want to de-badge it, get a B&G grill. Nobody will figure out what you're driving then. :)

DetroitMarauder
01-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks Harvey. Is there a brand of filler you recommend? The only thing I have found are large containers for about $20 but I only need a little bit.

Adondo: I've seen those. I kind of like them but I don't like the price too much.

Adondo
01-18-2012, 12:21 PM
They are expensive, that's for sure. I didn't want one because they turn the jeep into a "whatisit" mobile, which can be good or bad. :)

NeilSmith
01-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Is there a brand of filler you recommend? The only thing I have found are large containers for about $20 but I only need a little bit.
You can buy small tubes of what we in the business call " spot putty ". You dont even have to mix it with a hardener, its ready to use right out of the tube. If you cant find it at your local parts store try an automotive paint supply store.

harvy3317
01-19-2012, 12:24 AM
DetroitMarauder, like Neil Smith said below you should be able to go to your local auto parts store and get a small tube. I would first try and look for plastic filler or plastic hard filler. I bought some by 3M but it was expensive but I had to buy enough to do a hole in a plastic bumper the size of a basketball. lol. But you dont need this much just look for a small tube. It may come as a one single tube or maybe two tubes to mix. Like I said try and get a plastic bumper filler harder product, last option would be bondo or whatever.

But...

Like Neil Smith said, spot putty is great option and very cheap to buy and in a small tube. I have provided a link of what it looks like and the price range. Just go into your local auto store and ask for automotive spot putty and they will know exactly what you are talking about.

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/90-549-auto-body-fillers/gazing-and-spot-putty-225532.aspx

Remember when doing this to please take your time and do not rush. So take a day your off work and nothing planned for the day to do this. Nothing worse than a sloppy or crappy job. Make sure when you tape off and tape up newspaper for when your ready to paint, make sure to even tape over the edges of the newspaper where they cross over each other because trust me, paint will find a way through. If you take your time and properly setup everything then you will have great new looking results.

Like i said,

Clean area and prep.
Tape off using automotive painters tap and lightly sand the black plastic piece.
Clean area off again.
Take a small amount of your putty and fill in the two spots, just enough to fill in the spots. (buying a plastic filler spreader might help make it easier to fill and not get outside the spots).
Allow putty to dry.
Next re-sand again, just enough to make sure everything is level and sandpaper has etched into the plastic to make a bond with the paint that you will apply. (if you need to add more putty then do so). You do not need to go serious on the sandpaper, a little rubbing will do but nothing serious. Just make sure to get the whole trim piece.
After the sanding has been done and everything is dry and looks good, you will remove the old automotive painters tape and clean area really well.
Now lay down new tape and cover the area well with newspaper and even tape over the areas where the newspaper overlays each other.
Now you will use your spray paint of your choice, I would stick with duplicolor and nothing else because I know I will always get great results. You will ether need to go with semi-gloss black or flat black, whatever you like best. Probably semi-gloss.
Spray up to 3 coats and no less and no more. Do not overcoat or overspray.
Allow 15 to 30 minutes between coats. Even though it may look pretty and nice please allow a longer time to dry as you do not want to remove the paint or cause any damage to your new paint job.

Items:

Automotive Painters Tape
Newspaper
Spray Paint
Sand Paper
Plastic Filler Spreader
Spot Puddy or Plastic Filler

BTW, sorry it took forever to get this information on here DetroitMarauder, as it seems every Commander forum is dead. Come on people we need to keep these forums running.

NOTE: If there is a way to get this black plastic piece off then you wont have to worry about taping up and newspaper. Quicker and easier. Maybe someone here knows how to remove and re-attach the plastic piece.

cico7
01-19-2012, 05:35 AM
yeah, remove the rear hatch cover, unplug after you remove the packing/sound
deadening material, remove 2 10mm hex head screws and the unhook the opening
mechanism, stick your hand in sideways with a pair of pliers and pinch the plastic
retainer together and there you have it. figure 45 min apart and then another 45
to figure out how to put it together. Read some of my mods, it is in there with
installing a backup cam. Be sure to clean your hands before touching anything
and disinfect all the nicks dings and scratches on your hand. I wish I had taken
pics when I de-badged.

NOTE: If there is a way to get this black plastic piece off then you wont have to worry about taping up and newspaper. Quicker and easier. Maybe someone here knows how to remove and re-attach the plastic piece.

Sal-XK
01-19-2012, 12:38 PM
BTW, sorry it took forever to get this information on here DetroitMarauder, as it seems every Commander forum is dead. Come on people we need to keep these forums running.

Every commander forum is dead because we're all on this one. Even this forum slows down a tad after the holidays and cold weather sets in.

superacerc
01-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Everyone's busy playing with new toys. Then they eventually remember the most important is their Jeep and come back to reality! Happened to me. I was playing with the subaru and now that it's no longer new i'm back to the Jeep stuff.