PDA

View Full Version : u1411 and airbag light?

BonesWK
08-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Hey guys, new to the forum, but not new to jeep forums if ya know what I mean.

I have a question about a u1411 code and an airbag light coming on. I know the u1411 is usually that dastardly ignition switch issue.

So I'm getting both airbag lights lighting up solid while driving down the road after about 5-10 minutes.

My question is ya think they are related? Could a bad ignition switch cause the airbag light? I know our WK/XK are funny with stuff be ing linked to silly items (battery issues).

And is there a write up on how to change the switch? I would love to save some money and do it myself.

Thanks guys.

Matt
08-30-2011, 06:14 AM
Welcome to the forum!

If you promise to hang out here a bit more often ill check my SM tonight to see what the causes and trouble shooting steps are for that code. :)

Lol j/k. Hang tight and if no one beats me to it, ill check it out after I put the kids to bed.

BonesWK
08-30-2011, 09:59 AM
ok weird thing happened today - both airbag lights turned off when the passenger seat was sat in.

WTF - both airbag lights?? haha

Matt
08-30-2011, 05:45 PM
U1411 = Implausible Fuel Volume Signal Received
"The Front Control Module isn't receiving a fuel volume signal over CAN B from the Cluster Module. The FCM has to send the PCM a fuel volume signal over CAN C. The signal the FCM sends over CAN C is implausible."

Possible Causes:
CAN B Open or Shorted
Cluster Module
Front Control Module
PCM

Diagnostics:
Correct any CAN B hardware related DTC's
If none, replace and program PCM

.... I believe (not 100% sure) that the airbag sensors are relayed through CAN B. So i'd start by trying to pull the stored air bag codes and fix that issue first. Edited with description of operation. On second thought... probably has nothing to do with airbag light.

BonesWK
08-31-2011, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the reply Matt... I think im going to try to have the ignition switch changed out. Since I looked around and it seems to be the culprit for the u1411 code for most people. I was just hoping that would fix both the code and airbag light at once.

Now to find a video/write up on how to do it!

Matt
08-31-2011, 06:33 AM
Where are you finding that the U1411 code is for an ignition switch on our vehicles?

BonesWK
08-31-2011, 07:12 AM
JF - everyone over there is showing that's the fix.

Matt
08-31-2011, 07:31 AM
For JUST a U1411?

If the ignition switch was causing the cluster to lose power I'd imagine you'd have another code in conjunction.

BonesWK
08-31-2011, 07:52 AM
For JUST a U1411?

If the ignition switch was causing the cluster to lose power I'd imagine you'd have another code in conjunction.

Well I have had the cluster do the whole shut down on me before, numerous times. I just figured it all was related somehow.

Matt
08-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Well that's a bit more info that kinda helps lol.

Check your cluster connections. .. make sure all the tabs are good.

BonesWK
08-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Well that's a bit more info that kinda helps lol.

Check your cluster connections. .. make sure all the tabs are good.

lol, I guess you are right. my problem is I dont know WTF im doing when it comes to this stuff. Cluster connections, ignition switches im totally lost. Hell I just learned to change my spark plugs back in may lol.

Matt
08-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Cluster = instrument cluster. It "talks" to the front control module via the CAN B connection and the FCM relays the info to the PCM.

Since you say you have some flickering issues with the cluster, its likely/possible that the plug in the back of the instrument cluster may have worked itself loose (vibrations from offroading), tabs could have corroded due to moisture, or the tabs may have just weakened over time resulting in an intermittent disconnect.

So since one of the primary causes to the U1411 code is incorrect communication between the cluster and FCM, the first thing I would do is check/clean those connections.

BonesWK
08-31-2011, 10:33 AM
this would be under the steering wheel right? under the dash?

Matt, thanks so much for your replies man. Im slowly but surely learning. Thanks for helping out man

Matt
08-31-2011, 10:46 AM
I've never changed out a WK cluster so I'm not sure if the plug is accessible without pulling the cluster out. They're usually not hard to get out so I'd just remove it. Even if you can get to the plug from under the dash you probably wont be able to insect/clean the contacts really good.

BonesWK
09-06-2011, 05:19 AM
all this talk, and the light has mysteriously disappeared and the code is gone. im lost, but not complaining.

Matt
09-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Lol I Just went through a similar issue with my vehicle and intermittent codes. Those are the worst IMO.... I hate not knowing what's wrong.