PDA

View Full Version : Track Bar bolt

Adam OJ
09-12-2011, 09:56 AM
I tackled my RRO 2.25 lift install yesterday. Took longer than expected, but got through it, but I created a problem. When removing the upper Control arm bolt on the drivers side, I used the air gun to remove it, not realizing how much tension was still on the bolt. :mad: As a result, the bolt has unusable threads... I hit the Jeep dealer, Grainger and Fastenal this morning. Grainger had the bolt, but min purchase was 25... Dealer can get it for me, but not until this afternoon. So I'm working from home today....

What is the best way to 'unload' that upper Control arm mount? I got a temp bolt in there now, and had to use a come-a-long from the trailer hitch to the axle to pull it back far enough to get the bolt in. Is there any other tricks?

Loving the look of the lift.. Still need to handle the spare tire, and the fender well clearance...

Thanks!

Sal-XK
09-12-2011, 12:00 PM
You need to jack up and or lower the suspension not the jeep just the suspension that will release the pressure on stuff.

Adam OJ
09-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks Sal, I had that side hanging, and still ended up using the come-a-long to line it up. Once I got it aligned it went right in. Thanks again!

Matt
09-12-2011, 06:10 PM
So you still had weight on the other spring?

If you had the entire axle hanging so the springs were fully unloaded there wouldn't have been any pressure on it. Normally you disconnect the shocks and sway bar, then drop the axle down as far as possible without over extending the brake lines (sometimes you need to put the axle on another set of jack stands). At that point, there's no pressure on the track bar.... to line it up you just use a floor jack to raise the passenger side up until it's where it needs to be (and pull the axle left/right).

There's a trick for aligning the front track bar in SFA vehicles... put the vehicle back on the ground and have someone turn the steering wheel; that shifts the axle over and makes it easy to line up. I know, it doesn't apply to our XKs/WKs... but there plenty of members here with XJs and Wranglers that may find that truck useful.

Adam OJ
09-12-2011, 07:05 PM
I had it jacked up on the axle on the Passenger side enough to lift the drivers side into the air. The way you describe it, I should have lifted the chassis and let the axle hang evenly.. Got it done, but I think what you are describing would have been easier.

I'm the former owner of 2 XJ's so I'm familiar with the technique you describe.

Thanks!

Matt
09-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Exactly.. you needed to lift from the body/chassis and let the axle hang freely. You actually increased load on the track bar by jacking up on the passenger side of the axle until the driver side was in the air.

Adam OJ
09-12-2011, 07:57 PM
I was going off the lift install instructions. In retrospect, the instructions should read to let it hang level to get that bolt out, then jack up the pass side to get the axle to droop enough to drop the spring...

Oh well, lesson learned.

Also, I should have titled this post "Upper Control Arm Bolt". It's not the track bar.. I called it that this morning at the dealer and low and behold, he ordered me a bolt for the trackbar.. could have saved myself some trouble if I used the right terms :)

Thanks