PDA

View Full Version : When the battery goes, it goes....

hinchcliffe
09-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Driving the XK this weekend she started slow, so I thought to myself, OK, Battery soon, looked original. Wife was driving tuesday for work. Shut it off in a parking lot then when she tried to starty back up, nothing. Then starting getting wacky messages on the display. No clicking or anything. Ran over with a truck and tried jumping it, finally started to at least click. Grabbed a battery at sears (closest place) and started right up. Seems like the battery just dropped out. 5-1/2 years on an original battery not so bad.

cico7
09-15-2011, 07:08 AM
I would say that is not surprising. Many posts on batteries dying at 5yr or 50,000 miles or there abouts.

Matt
09-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Yup... I always replace my batteries around the 5 year mark. I don't like waiting for them to fail.

CmmdrDan
09-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Same thing happened to me. But I was sitting on the beach. It started there and lasted another week and a half!

Chapman89
09-15-2011, 09:28 AM
I had no warning with mine either. I went to campus for class and came back about 2 hours later to a completely dead vehicle!

pjmjr508
09-15-2011, 02:47 PM
mine is coming up on 5 years, sounds like time for a yellow top one

lekmedm
09-21-2011, 02:53 PM
mine is coming up on 5 years, sounds like time for a yellow top one

Get yourself a D35 size Yellow Top. It should fit better than a standard D34 because the terminals are out to the edges.

:cool:

ScorpionCrawler
10-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Went out this morning and no clickie, jumped it and went to a meeting at work, I didn;t make it all the way ahd she died at a traffic light.
What sucks is I've been reading the optima/ yellow,red top thread and was going to do this before winter.
Shouldn't have procrastinated.
Now I got a battery but not the one I wanted.
I didn't see it in this post but somewhere else where all the dash lights flash and and the spedo and tach go crazy.
It was the weirdest thing to watch.
When I put a load on it (turned on the blower) everything would go back to normal.
Oh well

Sal-XK
10-07-2011, 11:14 PM
It shouldn't of died once it was running with a 160amp alternator it should of been able to keep up and keep you going weird unless you had all your accessories on then maybe I guess or the idle dropped to low....

ScorpionCrawler
10-08-2011, 05:49 AM
It shouldn't of died once it was running with a 160amp alternator it should of been able to keep up and keep you going weird unless you had all your accessories on then maybe I guess or the idle dropped to low....
I think I lost a connection inside the battery to one of the posts and or shorted between cells.
On the second jump attempt I couldn't get it to take a charge at all, like no arcs at all when hooking up the cables.
She is running fine now.