PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to The Steel Armadillo

LWM
09-17-2011, 12:46 PM
TheUltimateJeep.com is pleased to welcome The Steel Armadillo as a Supporting Vendor to our forum. The Steel Armadillo is a new start-up Company specializing in Stylish Rugged Protection for your Jeep Commander & Jeep Grand Cherokee with plans to expand to cover many other models in the near future. I can personally recommend this Company and their products to the members of theultimatejeep.com because not only do I use many of their products on my personal vehicle but I also own the Company and know the pulse of the Commander & Grand Cherokee owners. Stop in and say hello and welcome to Jonathan and the fine folks at www.thesteelarmadillo.com

The Web site will be up in about two weeks when the rest of the product photos are completed.

IamJEEP
09-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Awesome! Welcome and it's great to have another company looking after our platforms. And, with Jonathan in charge we should have some great products comming our way!

NeilSmith
09-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Ok, fill us in. Ive seen you allude to this a couple of times, LOL . Who are you doing this with ? And, most importantly, do yall have any armadillos out there ? LOL !!

LWM
09-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Ok, fill us in. Ive seen you allude to this a couple of times, LOL . Who are you doing this with ? And, most importantly, do yall have any armadillos out there ? LOL !!

I have one partner, I will let him announce his involvement when he is ready just in case he wants to remain silent.

I have set everything up over the past month and will publish the web site as soon as I get some finished photos, The first week of October I plan to work out skid plates and other smaller items and then the front bumper will follow when a loaner vehicle is found for measurements (mine was too damaged in the accident to get OEM specs from).

Sal-XK
09-17-2011, 03:27 PM
looking forward to seeing what you turn out :)

AJeepZJ
09-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Ohhhhhh...

Holaday07 4.7
09-17-2011, 05:32 PM
I will ship my Commander down to you, if everything pt on is at no cost, lol> I am really excited to see this, I hope the partner is who I think as well. Thank you for bringing opeions to us as well, this is really cool.

Matt
09-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Very cool. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with :)

cico7
09-18-2011, 01:36 PM
is his partner Doc or Dr. Livingston??
Probably not our Castilian Nobleman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Cid)
could be a conflict of interest.

NeilSmith
09-18-2011, 01:54 PM
that link confused the hell out of me, well, maybe it was the 6 beers that did that.

cico7
09-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Did you figure it out?

LWM
09-18-2011, 05:03 PM

You would be incorrect in both your guesses. my partner does not have nor has he had a business making parts for the Commander, he is a loyal Jeep owner who thinks this is a good opportunity (and I agree).

NeilSmith
09-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Cico -:p

cico7
09-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Cico -:p
It was just a guess NeilSmith.... :o man...just roast me.....
I did say I didnt think it was the castilian nobleman....

LWM
09-18-2011, 06:05 PM
I did say I didnt think it was the castilian nobleman....

The Castilian Nobleman would have been a good choice and I did not check with him but I would assume he has a non-compete clause with JeepinbyAl

Tymac
09-19-2011, 11:25 AM
As long as your partner isn't fabbing parts up in a mobile surgery unit I'll probably buy something.

LWM
09-19-2011, 11:53 AM
As long as your partner isn't fabbing parts up in a mobile surgery unit I'll probably buy something.

Nice guess, Bill would have been a great partner too but it's not him either.

Holaday07 4.7
09-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Is it a forum member?

LWM
09-19-2011, 02:11 PM
The draft version of the web site is now online, the look will change over time but you will get a good idea where we are heading.

http://www.thesteelarmadillo.com/

pjmjr508
09-19-2011, 02:21 PM
I like what I see & waiting to see what prices are going to be like. Question where will products be shipped from (State) this way I can guess on how bad the shipping costs will be like.

Holaday07 4.7
09-19-2011, 02:36 PM
$0.00! I am like the prices for this!

HueyPilotVN
09-19-2011, 02:38 PM

Nah, I would not make a great partner. I would give away all the parts for free at the Camp Cpmmander...LOL

LWM
09-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Question where will products be shipped from (State) this way I can guess on how bad the shipping costs will be like.

Parts will ship from Arizona (85301) and Arizona residence will have to pay sales tax (sorry).

cico7
09-19-2011, 04:35 PM
are you a reseller in addition to your products? is your console on there too?

pjmjr508
09-19-2011, 04:51 PM
K thanks for the update.
Just to make sure this is in no way connected to Jeepingbyal right?

Matt
09-19-2011, 05:00 PM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/confused0006-1.gif

Sal-XK
09-19-2011, 05:34 PM
K thanks for the update.

If that were true, that would be one I didn't see coming.

Holaday07 4.7
09-19-2011, 05:53 PM
K thanks for the update.

Did I miss the memo? Does our group of outcasts not like them?

LWM
09-19-2011, 06:07 PM
are you a reseller in addition to your products? is your console on there too?

Yes, I will be a reseller and hope to offer the best price available, and yes the secure console is already in R & D at a local shop where I hope to get a better price then I did out of Las Vegas so I will be able to sell them a little cheaper (my apologizes to those who paid the original price).

LWM
09-19-2011, 06:09 PM

If that were true, that would be one I didn't see coming.

I am not in any way affiliated with JeepinbyAl, they have some great products but I plan to have better products and as a owner of a Commander and long time member of both forums (plus many others) I feel I can deliver what is wanted.

LWM
09-19-2011, 06:11 PM
I was given license (Thanks Friend) on another product today and it has been added to the line-up, I am working on securing ownership of a couple more products and as soon as that happens you will see them added to the website.

Sal-XK
09-19-2011, 06:16 PM

I like JBA but there who they are and I was looking forward to a fresh take on things with Jon so that would of been unsettling.

LWM
09-19-2011, 06:43 PM
I like JBA but there who they are and I was looking forward to a fresh take on things with Jon so that would of been unsettling.

Thanks Sal, I agree. I wanted something to do with 4xGuard and that did not work out, but it did light a fire in me to get something done and a have taken the bull buy the horns and am pushing forward with what I hope will be a very successful business.

sean112280
09-20-2011, 11:25 AM
This looks pretty promising guys. Good job Knappster.

IamJEEP
09-20-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't know you personally Jon, but from being on this site and seeing your passion for the XK/WK platform, I know that your products will be top notch. Good luck in your new business and thanks for stepping up to bat.

LWM
09-20-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't know you personally Jon, but from being on this site and seeing your passion for the XK/WK platform, I know that your products will be top notch. Good luck in your new business and thanks for stepping up to bat.

I am one who believes the only things worth doing are worth doing well, I will not disapoint you!

Holaday07 4.7
09-20-2011, 12:21 PM

Thanks! I totally understand, and think that competition will drive new, better products, get somemore interest in our Jeeps, and maybe even cut down on the cost. Judging by Johns dedication here, I am sure this will be very good for us!

pjmjr508
09-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Let me explain I do not have an issue with JBA. Just was wanting to make sure it was not another extension of them. I want more companies to serve out Hobby (As Matt put it our Obsession) More companies will drive the way to high prices down for us jeep owners too.

cico7
09-20-2011, 01:51 PM
I am throwing a wet-nap in here. I am always thinking about the market size. Is there enough of a market to
warrant the entry of another developer? I forsee the downfall of the other forum, which is a commercial enterprise,
since Chrysler discontinued production of the Commander. A few years from now, they will have few supporters
and less need of a Commander site.

This is not a high valued class or truly unique class of vehicles where everyone is clamoring to get a Commander.

I may be wrong, and thats ok too. if I am wrong, the markets thrive and all is well.

Holaday07 4.7
09-20-2011, 01:55 PM
I am throwing a wet-nap in here. I am always thinking about the market size. Is there enough of a market to warrant the
entry of another developer? I forsee the downfall of the other forum which is a commercial business since Chrysler discontinued
production of the Commander. A few years from now, they will have few supporters and less need of a Commander site.

This is not a high valued class or truly unique class of vehicles where everyone is clamoring to get a Commander.

I may be wrong, and thats ok too. if I am wrong, the markets thrive and all is well.

However, in my personal experience vehicles like the lateer model Land Rovers and Land Cruisers are now out on the trail. A few years ago, they were someones $50,000 Luxo Ute. Availability of Commanders are there, and the price is getting into a place were enthusiats can justify taking one out on the trail. It could totally fall out from under us though, I just hope not.

AJeepZJ
09-20-2011, 04:09 PM
I am throwing a wet-nap in here. I am always thinking about the market size. Is there enough of a market to
warrant the entry of another developer? I forsee the downfall of the other forum, which is a commercial enterprise,
since Chrysler discontinued production of the Commander. A few years from now, they will have few supporters

However, in my personal experience vehicles like the lateer model Land Rovers and Land Cruisers are now out on the trail. A few years ago, they were someones $50,000 Luxo Ute. Availability of Commanders are there, and the price is getting into a place were enthusiats can justify taking one out on the trail. It could totally fall out from under us though, I just hope not.

I have certain points to make that might make you think twice. I'll kind of discuss each.

1. The XK platform rides on the shoulders of the WK. (we hear this all the time. Virtually anything that comes out, with the exception of bumpers will most likely apply to the XK. This point is self-explanatory.

2. As stated previously, the XK is getting cheaper. Which translates to a broader range of folks purchasing it. This point is also self explanatory.

3. I think the most important point is the sustainability or even profitability of this segment of the market... the XK/WK market. Granted the % of folks wheeling the WK/XK is small, the variable you guys are forgetting the most that can really effect this market are YOU. We already KNOW there are 100,000's of WK/XK's on the road. So there is endless possibilities for this market. I think what you guys are forgetting is the exposure factor, and showing folks the possibilities of what it is capable of becoming. When you guys are about driving around town in your WK's and XK's people DO take notice. I think you are really forgetting the impression these vehicles make. Someone started this trend and it has not slowed down... (even in this economy). At the 'other forum' had no build threads, not a whole lot of modified anything. VERY few with 3" lifts, let alone a 4" lift. When you take elegance, class and 4x4 capability and then inject it with rugged ambition - it is an entirely different specie of Jeep. It's not like so many other vehicles where if you lift it, it looks like garbage or really unattractive.... It also doesn't look inappropriate when you lift it either. These vehicles look solid, like they were meant for 2-4" lifts.

One really good example a few weekends ago. Sal let me drive his XK to the Autozone (Thanks Sal - it was FUN) - At every intersection and in that parking lot - I could FEEL eyes all over it. I remember asking Sal... "do people always stare that hard at the Jeep when you drive it?" Sal: "yes".

So anyway my main point is that I feel the 'domino' effect has already started for the WK/XK platforms - We have a few dedicated vendors/manufacturers and what started with just a few has grown into some really unique market. We don't see it as such now, but we are at the forefront for the WK/XK mods era. I never saw a lifted WJ until 2 years after the WK was released. The WK/XK are on schedule. The exposure from the modified crowd is the most important factor - That exposure alone may be enough to convince current owners of WK's/ XK's to take them to the next level.

(I honestly never thought to modify my WK, until I saw a burgandy WK clearly on a 3" lift and 32's drive up and pass me while getting on the free way... heading west on 540 into the sunset. I still have a picture in my mind of how that WK looked with the sun behind it... The light hit it just right, it looked awesome.)

LWM
09-20-2011, 04:44 PM

This would be true IF I were only to make products for the Commander, this is just a jumping off point to many more items for many more vehicle options. If the market will not support The Steel Armadillo and others then I feel sorry for the Others as I am not going away! :)

Sal-XK
09-20-2011, 04:47 PM
I agree and have said it in the past as well. The older this platform gets the more people there will be modding them out. The amount of attention I get in my XK in uncanny even today I got two "hey that's a bad a** jeep man" I believe we leave these people with a good impression and they will give out Jeeps a look when deciding to get a good DD and something they can wheel. Remember not everyone wants a wrangler just because there so popular. It is possible that this platform will peak and fall short of our hopes and dreams but its also very possible it will follow Jeep history become the next big thing to be modded and wheeled in the future and we can all say someday we did it first :)

cico7
09-20-2011, 05:59 PM
This would be true IF I were only to make products for the Commander, this is just a jumping off point to many more items for many more vehicle options. If the market will not support The Steel Armadillo and others then I feel sorry for the Others as I am not going away! :)
When I spoke of The Other forum, I am referring to jc.com
I say this since a couple of us have refer to The Other forum.

LWM
09-20-2011, 06:23 PM
When I spoke of The Other forum, I am referring to jc.com
I say this since a couple of us have refer to The Other forum.

I was referring to the "other" off-road companies not forums, but all is good.

wmjacobsjr
09-20-2011, 07:57 PM
I have seen quite a few WKs with lifts and larger tires. I have gotten some surprised looks when people look at my XK and they see it has a lift, have yet to get the bigger tires but working on that. A few guys have walked up and said that mine was the first Commander that they seen with a lift and that it looks good with a lift on it. It will take some time for folks to start doing what a small number of us are already doing.

With that being said, I want to wish you luck in your new venture Jon.

Mike

brendon
09-20-2011, 07:57 PM
I have one partner, I will let him announce his involvement when he is ready just in case he wants to remain silent.

I also see this as a good opportunity to take up where others have left off. I think he is referring to me, unless there is another! Now you know who it is and I can again remain silent;)

pjmjr508
09-20-2011, 08:00 PM
I also see this as a good opportunity to take up where others have left off. I think he is referring to me, unless there is another! Now you know who it is and I can again remain silent;)

LOL
Why Thanks to both of You & Jon to help the rest of us get our rigs to where we want them.

LWM
09-20-2011, 09:31 PM
With that being said, I want to wish you luck in your new venture Jon.

Mike

Thank you very much, I look forward to providing great products and great service for you all.

LWM
09-20-2011, 09:32 PM

Cats out of the bag now! :)

El Cid
09-29-2011, 12:55 PM
This is exciting news for sure, guys. Congratulations. I look forward to seeing how this develops.

And, for the record, the Castilian nobleman and Dr. Livingston (who are one in the same, after all) do not have a non-compete agreement with anyone. ;)

LWM
09-29-2011, 01:32 PM
And, for the record, the Castilian nobleman and Dr. Livingston (who are one in the same, after all) do not have a non-compete agreement with anyone. ;)

You and I have to talk then... :)

DetroitMarauder
09-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Is there any better pictures of the rock sliders?

LWM
09-30-2011, 12:48 PM

The Commander is currently in the shop, but I will take some better photos this afternoon when I get it back!

LWM
09-30-2011, 03:49 PM

See this new thread: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/1264-Product-Review-Super-Sliders?p=18070#post18070

GPintheMitten
11-27-2011, 08:21 AM

Hmm, is it me? That would be about as silent a partner as you could get.... even I didn't know. LOL.

Just kidding. And I wish you the best in your venture. I'll try to get on the forum more. This forum sure has grown.

...GP

LWM
11-27-2011, 09:03 AM
I'll try to get on the forum more. This forum sure has grown.

Looking forward to seeing you more!