PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel not locking?

XK N00b
09-17-2011, 03:59 PM
I noticed this morning as I went to leave that with the key out of the ignition and the Jeep completely off, a) when I move the wheel back and forth an inch or two, I can hear a pretty substantial knock and b) I can also completely turn the wheel and front wheels full range left to right and back again. My steering wheel doesn't lock. Any others with this issue or suggestions as to how to take care of it. Only real mod that could have an effect is the 2" lift.

LWM
09-17-2011, 07:20 PM
The wheel does not lock on the Commander, this is so that it can be towed without the key in the ignition.

AJeepZJ
09-17-2011, 08:23 PM
^This must only apply for those vehicles which have [4HI,N,4LOW.] All-time 4HI vehicles shouldn't have this feature because they cannot be towed without causing significant damage to the transfer case. I know for a fact my WK cannot be towed unless it's on a flatbed or tow-truck.

Sal-XK
09-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I never noticed if my wheel turned with out the key in it. I just assumed it locked normally like most vehicles I'm going to have to check this out now.

XK N00b
09-17-2011, 09:20 PM
The wheel does not lock on the Commander, this is so that it can be towed without the key in the ignition.

This was embarrassing that I hadn't noticed before. But, seeing as the ignition is on the dash and not the column, it makes a little more sense. So that solves on problem, now I get to figure out what the popping sound is. (not only when shaking wheel with jeep off, but I notice it now too when I move from full stop and come to a quick stop... grr.

XK N00b
09-17-2011, 09:26 PM
I never noticed if my wheel turned with out the key in it. I just assumed it locked normally like most vehicles I'm going to have to check this out now.

Should this be moved to the Easter eggs thread, then?

Adondo
09-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Nope, no lock. It makes it nice for towing behind a motorhome as you don't have to leave keys in it. (Or pull a fuse while it's on accy)