PDA

View Full Version : TPMS Information

Matt
09-22-2011, 02:45 PM
First off, I wanted to clarify a few things that seem to confuse some people about our TPMS systems.

For 2005-2007 US versions, our TPMS operate on the 315 mhz frequency. For 2008+ they're 433 mhz.

For export models (specifically in the 2006 and 2007 Commanders) they also used the 433 mhz sensors. So while I was shopping for TPMS sensors for my 2007 model year, I found conflicting part numbers. It seems that not all websites realize that the 2007 export models were 433 mhz and the US version was 315... so they listed the 433 mhz sensors as "this fits your vehicle", but it really doesn't.

Also, another thing to keep in mind... I see people always mentioning "you have to get the OEM sensors". I'd like to remind everyone that Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, Honda, etc DONT manufacturer these sensors. There are only a few major companies that do... and they supply the OEM's. Also, these sensors really aren't that "high tech".... honestly, in the world of sensors they're pretty basic. I've never had an issue running quality aftermarket sensors on any of my vehicles; note "quality"... stick with a name brand.

Figured i'd start a thread here. If anyone has any questions about which TPMS sensors to run, or if you installed sensors and are having an issue, post up here. Hopefully we can help out, and at a minimum we'll all learn something (such as brands to avoid, tips/tricks, etc)

AJeepZJ
09-23-2011, 05:11 AM
That's actually really helpful. Nice post, Matt.

sean112280
09-23-2011, 07:46 AM
I agree....good information. thanks Matt.

lekmedm
09-23-2011, 09:44 AM
So, a while back I got me some education regarding the TPMS system in our beloved vehicles and posted this on the other forum:

So I've been doing a bit of research and happened upon a parts list for the XK.

BTW, credit to "Gramps" over on jeepforums.com for posting info concerning parts over on their site: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=303655&page=3 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303655&page=3)

So here are the part #'s for TPM sensors:

2006XK = 56053030AB
2007XK = 56053036AA
2008XK = 56029359AA

I have a second set of wheels with winter tires and needed the appropriate sensors for the system to work. It seems that the radio frequencies changed for model years, IIRC.

:cool:

lekmedm
09-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Now i'm not sure if "sit stationary for 20 minutes" means idling or not... i may actually call and ask. They did provide a special number to call for TPMS reset instructions so I may give that a shot.

Also, another thing to keep in mind... I see people always mentioning "you have to get the OEM sensors". I'd like to remind everyone that Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, Honda, etc DONT manufacturer these sensors. There are only a few major companies that do... and they supply the OEM's. Also, these sensors really aren't that "high tech".... honestly, in the world of sensors they're pretty basic. I've never had an issue running quality aftermarket sensors on any of my vehicles; note "quality"... stick with a name brand.

I happened to get mine from eBAY. When I finally got the right ones, I just had them slapped on and drove off. The system was reading them in < 1 mile. No standing around and waiting. I bought OEM.

AJeepZJ
09-23-2011, 10:00 AM
So, a while back I got me some education regarding the TPMS system in our beloved vehicles and posted this on the other forum:

So I've been doing a bit of research and happened upon a parts list for the XK.

BTW, credit to "Gramps" over on jeepforums.com for posting info concerning parts over on their site: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=303655&page=3 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303655&page=3)

So here are the part #'s for TPM sensors:

2006XK = 56053030AB
2007XK = 56053036AA
2008XK = 56029359AA

I have a second set of wheels with winter tires and needed the appropriate sensors for the system to work. It seems that the radio frequencies changed for model years, IIRC.

Gramps is one of the most helpful individuals I've ever encountered. Not to take subject off topic - But He is astonishingly resourceful.

Matt
09-23-2011, 10:41 AM
I happened to get mine from eBAY. When I finally got the right ones, I just had them slapped on and drove off. The system was reading them in < 1 mile. No standing around and waiting. I bought OEM.

I have aftermarket sensors in my current wheels as well and didn't need to wait... starting driving and they read right away as well. The reason i posted that was because someone specifically mentioned the Dorman sensors didn't work on another forum, so I threw that up there as a potential cause.

Sal-XK
09-23-2011, 12:57 PM
I made it a sticky thanks for the work man

pjmjr508
09-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Great info sir, I was going to start dealing with this next week when I replace the broken rim along with the bent one.
Thanks

Matt
10-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Just a quick update...

I installed 4 Dorman 974-001 TPMS sensors ordered from RockAuto. I was having major issues with them... at first, only two synced up. Then, one of the two would drop in/out of signal... so I really only had 1 good sensor. I worked directly with Dorman tech support and did some troubleshooting; they decided to send me 4 new sensors directly from their factory. I put the 4 new sensors in tonight and they all synced up, no issues.

I also used a TPMS tool to read all of the sensors. The original sensors I ordered from Rockauto were crap, for whatever reason. Two weren't giving off any reading at all and the other two would take a long time to register. The 4 sent to me from Dorman registered within 2 seconds.

Just another note, my other wheels/tires had Orange Electric sensors in them and they worked flawlessly. They came with my wheel/tire package though, not from a parts distributor.

Matt
10-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Update:

These "new" Dormans still aren't working quite right. For the most part, they're all reading correctly... but the LR dropped signal a few times today and I lost the RF twice as well.

Got some more info from the tech at Dorman that i've been working with. ALL of the sensors i've installed were recently manufactured... so battery life is not (should not) have been an issue at all. He has a new theory... a few months ago they changed the chipset and now he thinks the "new" chipset may be the issue. He's sending me 4 "new" sensors that are the old chipset to see if that iradicates the problem.

I'm not sure when im going to get a chance to install those sensors; i don't exactly have a tire machine in my back pocket.

Conclusion

At this point, i'd say that the issues/concerns i've read about Dorman sensors for our jeeps are pretty much confirmed. It's not user error, It's not my jeep, and we're way beyond the possibility of "oh that was just one bad sensor". Even if the next set of sensors that I get solves the problem, how can you make sure the sensors you order are the proper chipset?

If you need sensors, as of right now my recommendation is to stick with OEM or Orange Electronics. My Orange sensors worked flawlessly.
http://www.orangetpmsusa.com/oe-products/vehicle-application-search/

OEM sensors are manufactured by Siemens...

Matt
12-29-2011, 05:54 AM
Hey guys, i have another very interesting update!

I installed the "old chip set" from Dorman quite some time ago and they worked really well... sort of. I never lost sensor signal BUT would get a "service TPMS system" message on my dash once in a while; No TPMS light and No TPMS warning chime though. One day I noticed that the right-front tire read 92 PSI for a few minutes before going back to normal and it also looked like the RR and RF signals were switched (noticed that after airing down for offroading).

So we decided to throw OEM sensors in to see what happens. Well, all of the old TPMS part numbers have been superseded and now use the rubber stems.

The part numbers are as follows (XK model year - old PN - new PN):
2006 - 56053030AB - 68078861AA
2007 - 56053036AA - 56029479AB
2008 - 56029359AA - 56029481AB

Fast forward to last week (I wanted to get some miles on them to confirm). I have installed the new 56029479AB sensors, the old PN isn't available anymore and I like having rubber stems since they're better for offroading. Well they're reading, BUT every once in a while I lose a signal at one of my rear tires. :mad:

Some more info on this: when working with Dorman tech support they mentioned the rear of the XK's is often a problem because there's only one receiver back there and it often gets confused which sensor it's reading; left vs right wheel well.

I'm due for a rotation in 1000 miles so I'll see if the rear continues being an issue. If it does I might try replacing the receiver back there (actually i wonder if that part has been updated... i'll check that now too).

FWIW:
As of right now, the only sensors that have worked flawlessly on my vehicle are the original OEM sensors AND the Orange Electronics sensors. Also, Sean is running the Orange Electronics on his 2007 XK because he bought those wheels/tires from me, and as far as I know he hasn't had any issues (I'll find out to confirm).

So if you need to buy new sensors, I'd be wary of the new OEM ones. Would love to know if anyone else has issues with the new sensors too. It'll be kind of ironic if I can't resolve this and have to go buy Orange sensors again ;)

Matt
12-29-2011, 05:58 AM
The new sensors:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/20111222125331-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/20111222125321-1.jpg

GeeEssFore
12-30-2011, 09:20 PM
They also now offer new style in metal with replaceable stems for 05 and 06. I have a set from dodge we ordered the other day. They are made by schrader for dodge

jantrit
01-29-2012, 10:18 PM
They also now offer new style in metal with replaceable stems for 05 and 06. I have a set from dodge we ordered the other day. They are made by schrader for dodge

Can you give us a part number by any chance?

kevjones777
02-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Is it possible for the dealer to program the TPMS so that the alarm only comes on at say 1.2 Bar. (we deflate down to this when we drive in thick sand).

Matt
02-09-2012, 04:18 AM
Is it possible for the dealer to program the TPMS so that the alarm only comes on at say 1.2 Bar. (we deflate down to this when we drive in thick sand).

Dealers wont do it due to liability reasons. But you can with a handheld programmer like the superchips flashpack.

bncrshr77
05-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Ok, so the stock wheels I'm putting on my 06 commander do not have the TPMS sensors... From what I've read I would be best off to get the orange sensors part # SC36AA and have the tire shop install them when mounting the new tires? Will my jeep automatically recognize these sensors or am I gonna be stuck buying some device to calibrate them or something? Thanks..

Matt
05-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Your Jeep will automatically pick up the sensors and calibrate their locations after 15 minute of driving.

And yeah... the only sensors I would buy right now are the orange electronics

bncrshr77
05-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Great! Thanks for clearing that up. Guess that's what I'll be doing then.

LWM
05-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Remember that they are model year specific so make sure the serial number you have works with your year.

GeeEssFore
05-14-2012, 06:54 PM
I have a brand new set of SC36AA for $70 shipped to your door if interested.

The new TPMS from Dodge with replaceable stems pn are
06-07 56029526AA
08+ 56029527AA
The stems are $5 a piece, I still recommend Orange TPMS over OE ones due to the stem being cheaper to replace and they swivel so if you have aftermarket wheels they seat better.

Ok, so the stock wheels I'm putting on my 06 commander do not have the TPMS sensors... From what I've read I would be best off to get the orange sensors part # SC36AA and have the tire shop install them when mounting the new tires? Will my jeep automatically recognize these sensors or am I gonna be stuck buying some device to calibrate them or something? Thanks..

NCCommander
07-10-2012, 10:36 PM
If you go up to a larger tire size and have to run say 40-50 pounds, can the sensors be relearned for the higher pressure so the light wont continuously stay on?

EDIT:
After doing some searching i read that with superchip you could change the setting. Is this the only way?

Matt
07-11-2012, 03:26 AM
Superchips can change the setting. However you do not have to run that high of a pressure. For full capacity on these vehicles 35-40 psi is plenty with most LT tire sizes. There's a sticky that explains how to calculate your tire pressure as well.

07JeepXK
07-11-2012, 05:16 AM
I have 285/70R17s on my XK and I run them at 38 lbs and have perfect tire wear.

stites-xk
07-11-2012, 05:30 AM
I have 285/70R17s on my XK and I run them at 38 lbs and have perfect tire wear.

Same here!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sal-XK
07-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Same here!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yuuup!

NCCommander
07-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Superchips can change the setting. However you do not have to run that high of a pressure. For full capacity on these vehicles 35-40 psi is plenty with most LT tire sizes. There's a sticky that explains how to calculate your tire pressure as well.
Word, thank you sir.

Matt
07-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Anytime man.

Gulf550
11-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Good information in this thread, but I've been having a problem with mine....

Okay, recently I went on a trip and the tire pressure light on the dash started flashing then goes out. Stopped and checked all the pressures including the spare and they were all good. It's been a few weeks now and randomly the light comes on and flashes for about 30 secs and goes back off. I wasn't sure if it would flag a fault code, so I hooked up the scanner, and nothing. Has anyone else have this problem? I figured I would let it go for awhile, since I travel a lot for work. But now it's starting to bother me. Ay suggestions would be great.

Matt
11-17-2012, 05:07 AM
What tire pressure are you running? If you're running too much pressure you may be triggering the over-pressure warning after the tires heat up.

Of you could have a sensor that's getting a weak battery since its an 06. They're supposed to be 10 year life, but not all of them last that long. A tire shop with a TPMS tool will be able to tell you if any of the sensors are giving out a weak signal.

GeeEssFore
11-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Most of the time a flashing light that goes out on its own is due to low battery in sensor or the sensor is getting clogged from fix a flat or debris in tire.

frtgy89
12-10-2012, 10:59 PM
When I put the new tires on today 3 of the 5 where bad. So the good ones are in the front until I can get new ones. The two in the front are new so they should last a while, the others where done. Thanks for the part numbers and suggestions, leaning toward the OEM Mopars just to keep everything the same.

frtgy89
12-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Well I think I'll order the Orange ones. After reading this whole thread they seem to be first choice.

Matt
12-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Let us know how they work out. They're the only ones that seemed to work for me

06JeepXKHEMI
12-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Since Ill be replacing all 4 tires with MTRs next week, should I replace TPMS as preventative?

Matt
12-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Your call really. Honestly I wouldnt bother.

If the new oem rubber stemmed sensors worked, id say go for them. But you may end up with the same issue as me. I wouldn't buy new aluminum sensors though, they're known to break while offroading so it'd suck to spend money for new ones and break one your next time out.

06JeepXKHEMI
12-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Id just hate to get tires mounted, balanced, aligned and have a sensor go..

Matt
12-13-2012, 01:59 PM
True... but replacing a sensor is easy; really dont even need to re-balance the tire either.

06JeepXKHEMI
12-13-2012, 02:01 PM
My luck it would be a week later.. Also while on this topic, anyone know where to find the harnesses that are by the pinch weld?

Matt
12-13-2012, 02:02 PM
The harness that the receiver plugs into... or the receiver itself? (i dont recall where the plug is)

06JeepXKHEMI
12-13-2012, 02:06 PM
The receiver, previos owner smashed both ides

Matt
12-13-2012, 02:07 PM
56053034AC (looks like it was superseded as well). ~ $40 from wholesalemopar.com

06JeepXKHEMI
12-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks, looks like this next week the Jeep is going to drain my commission.. New left/right modules $80+shipping, MTRs $1k and change, mount/balance $70+ not to mention car payment and 2 insurance payments! My rear end is starting hurt

pjmjr508
12-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Since Ill be replacing all 4 tires with MTRs next week, should I replace TPMS as preventative?

are you changing the rim's out?

xjhawk1964
04-19-2013, 03:05 PM
I got 4 new Orange Elctronics sensors...SC36AA.
Took about 20 minutes for all 4 to read, then all 4 dropped out, and the next day only 1 of them reads. Really frustrating...

07JeepXK
04-19-2013, 04:46 PM
That's why I'm not running TPMS sensors and have the off road feature of the Flashpaq enabled.

Matt
04-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Gotta admit... Chrysler TPMS is screwed up. I have mine turned off now, don't plan on turning it back on.

My GM truck had 3 different TPMS manufacturer's sensors installed and never missed a beat. Not sure what Chrysler does to make it suck so much... it's not really any special technology...

07JeepXK
04-20-2013, 04:13 AM
Years ago cars didnt have sensors in the wheels so why would I need them now lol.

Matt
04-20-2013, 04:43 AM
I actually like them.... but thats personal preference

07JeepXK
04-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Well you have a better setup than mine since you have the Hemi with more options. You could actually see the psi in each individual tire. On my jeep the light would come on if a tire was low but didnt tell you which one.

Matt
04-20-2013, 11:06 AM
True... thats what I liked about mine. Hopefully Chrysler gets their crap together so the new rubber stems work like they're supposed to. Aluminum stems on offroad vehicles suck... seen too many break on the trails.

I havent checked in a while to see if there were any TSBs to address the new sensors. Might have to check into that again.

hopjis
05-18-2016, 04:21 AM
Good information sit, I was really very confused about the TPMS systems but your post helps. Good write up