PDA

View Full Version : E85

sean112280
09-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Anybody with the 4.7 flex use the e85? What are your thoughts on it? I havent found a place that has it.

superacerc
09-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Can't find it in too many places really. I wouldn't use it if i found it to tell you the truth. The cost benefit of it being a few cents cheaper doesn't offset the fact that it induces poorer gas mileage. When i get my hands on a superchips flaspaq i'm going to disable the E85 mode and put it on the 87octane mode. Supposed to help the power and mileage a bit since the engine no longer looks for the possibility to retard the timing for E85. I even went as far as to remove the Flex Fuel Badge from my XK. I don't even like the fact that farmers are subsidized to grow corn as a fuel alternative instead of other crops which would bring up the price of produce here in the US. It's just not a good alternative to gasoline in any real sense in my opinion.

However, in place like Brazil where they make E85 from leftover Sugar cane because it's already in existence and have an abundance of the stuff and no other use for it it's not a bad thing. It really helps out down there. But here in the US not so much.

Sal-XK
09-24-2011, 06:46 PM
The few people I've heard of that have used it had bad results. They were getting like half the MPG's on E85 and only saving like 50 cents per gallon. I've also heard bad things about what it does to your engine but I have no personal experience with it myself.

sean112280
09-24-2011, 09:07 PM
So it sounds like an overall negative thing. Thanks guys. I thought I might try it if I came across it, but don't think I will. I will stick with good ol 87 :)

HueyPilotVN
09-24-2011, 09:19 PM
I have used it a few times back when I was in northern Indiana. I liked the idea of having an alternative. I do not plan on using it much but when I bought the Commander it seem to tie into the go anywhere idea about building an expedition Jeep. You never know what the future might bring and it is just another example of what might someday come in handy. I am one of those guys that really do not pay much attention to gas mileage other than miles to empty. That is why I carry 50 gallons of gas around.