PDA

View Full Version : Smart Car Testing

Matt
09-27-2011, 05:04 PM
This here says a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_472L2kLp0

My synopsis: I would never, nor will i let a member of my family, drive a smart car.

Remember, deceleration kills human beings; hence the development of crumple zones to absorb energy and extend the time of the collision thereby decreasing the deceleration rate to sustainable levels (combined with other safety measure such as seat belt improvements and air bags, cars have become exceptionally safe).

Notice that the smart car doesn't just decelerate.... it is accelerated in the opposite direction (add in some other rotational forces and well... you get the picture).

Crash test ratings, as currently used today, are worthless in the grand scheme of things (unless you replace every moving object on the road with a brick wall). So to think that a car (any car.. not just a smart car) is safe based on the "crash test ratings" is a bit short sited. In terms of overall safety, I'll take a 3 star crash test rating in a vehicle like a suburban over a 4 or 5 star crash test rating in a car like the Smart or even the Mini. $.02

Thoughts?

LWM
09-27-2011, 05:09 PM
You only live once, and it is a blast to drive! :)

Matt
09-27-2011, 05:11 PM
lol i have a motorcycle for that!

CmmdrDan
09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
No offense Jon. But everytime we see one around here we play a game. Who ever sees it first and yells "death trap" first wins..

Budasac
09-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Felt it deserved a thread of it's own? I've already ranted on the subject today in Knapster's garage.;)

Basically my opinion is that when a big car hits a small car the big car wins. And there are way too many big cars around with crazy people at the wheel not paying attention. I wouldn't drive one, nor would I let my kids ride in one.

Although there is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MDU5BU_qSJU#t=4s

Matt
09-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Sort of... i wanted to find the video i mentioned and i didn't think it was right to post it in his "garage" thread.

This is much more fitting ;)

hoaxci5
09-28-2011, 12:45 PM
The only place I would own/drive a smartcar is if I lived in the city and didn't have to ever take it on the freeway. It would be strictly a local commuter car and thats it.

LWM
09-28-2011, 01:42 PM
The only place I would own/drive a smartcar is if I lived in the city and didn't have to ever take it on the freeway. It would be strictly a local commuter car and thats it.

That is what I use mine for, I drive 12.5 to work and then 12.5 miles home on one major street. I get about 40 mpg and have to fill up once a month.

I have driven it to Los Angeles a couple of times and I am comfortable but the car was designed as a city commuter vehicle not a highway vehicle.

Sal-XK
09-29-2011, 09:33 AM
If I didn't have to drive to work on a road named chicken road nick named the chicken 500 I would drive a smart car.

Omelet
09-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Every time I see one of those flying down the freeway down here I cringe! Guys drive those things like they are invincible, when they are the smallest thing on the road. Cars, trucks, and SUVs get bigger every year and then you through one of these in the mix. Not what I would want to be in on a pile up on the freeway! I could see using one around town, but I think I would just use an electric cart for that if gas was my concern. I love driving my Jeep! I hate that I have to drive my saturn to and from work, but I basically paid nothing for it and it gets 40mpg. Which saves me money that I can pit into the Jeep!

superacerc
09-29-2011, 12:27 PM
They're definitely a city car. They 've been around europe since the early 2000's and are made for tight areas and slow speed driving. They're perfect for Parallel parking since you can actually just pull straight against the curb and they don't stick out much instead of actually parrallel not to mention the gas milage (which is actually between 60-70mpg on the european models since you can have them in a 1.0L engine). We have the sporty big engined smart (who'd have thought that?)! I love the fact that europe has so many better economy cars but they don't work as well (safety or economy wise) for many americans who are on the interstate a lot of the time.
Nice car jon.

sean112280
09-29-2011, 07:54 PM
If I didn't have to drive to work on a road named chicken road nick named the chicken 500 I would drive a smart car.

Chicken road is awesome. Until I had a rock kicked up from a motorcycle going the other way. I used to live in Raeford.

Sal-XK
09-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Chicken road is awesome. Until I had a rock kicked up from a motorcycle going the other way. I used to live in Raeford.

Yup thats where I live now Raeford LOL. When I use to ride my bike to work I would do like 80MPH and still have people trying to pass me. Raeford has tripled in population so its a lot worse now if you even think about doing the 55MPH speed limit it gets crazy.