PDA

View Full Version : Tire Chain Discussion

hoaxci5
10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I know in the manual it says something about only using chains with smaller than stock size tires.

I might need to have a set with me to get to Big Bear Lake for Christmas though, and making things better/worst it's lifted with oversized tires. I'm wondering if since I have wheel spacers if chains could possibly be used? Anyone have any idea/experience?

The reason for the question is California Highway Patrol website

I have a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Do I have to carry / use chains? What do the "R" ratings which are associated with chain requirements mean?
"R" ratings on snowy roads indicate chain requirements for various conditions. Some vehicles may not be required to use chains under all conditions, but all vehicles must carry chains. Most vehicles come equipped with snow tires. Look for M+S (mud and snow), All Season, or All Terrain, on the side of the tire.

R-1 chains required except for vehicles with snow tires (chains required for any vehicle pulling a trailer)

R-2 chains required except for 4-wheel drive with snow tires

R-3 chains required for all vehicles

Sal-XK
10-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Sounds like except under there most extreme rating you won't even need to put chains on. The chains as long as there is enough clearance in front and in back for them to fit the tire they should be good. I think the chains cup at the top of the tire when your moving. So the chain actually looses all it's slack at the top of the tire and that's where the most clearance is needed they'll actually raise off the tire some from the spinning force. As far as running smaller tires for chains that makes no sense to me unless there worried about the speedo being off but they don't recommend a lift and bigger tires either :)

hoaxci5
10-03-2011, 05:07 PM
I think the smaller tire recommendation is based on clearance issues. I'm wondering if the lift and wheel spacers make up for what would have been a clearance issue. I don't have any to test fit, and don't have much experience with tire chains in general so I'm not really sure..

Matt
10-03-2011, 05:12 PM
The chains add quite a bit to the diameter and width, so if your tires are "close" to rubbing, you'll have a bit of an issue and chains will do much much much more damage to whatever it rubs against than a tire would.

With that said... just throw the chains in your XK so you comply with the "must have" requirement. If its bad enough where the XK needs chains, then throw them on the back tires; seriously, if its that bad of conditions you'll be going so slow and the ground will be so slick that it won't make a difference.

Sal-XK
10-03-2011, 05:12 PM
The few tire chains I've seen and I mean just a couple I can't see them causing a clearance issue. Now the ones my buddy has for his tractor trailer might cause a issue with clearance LOL

Matt
10-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I have some friends in Colorado... the chains they had for their Rover were pretty serious...

Though im not sure if they sell chains in difference "levels" of aggressiveness?

superacerc
10-03-2011, 05:18 PM
I was going to say that they put chains on tractor trailers so its not the largeness that is the issue. If youre worried about clearance check out the z chains (which aren't chains at all but actually cables). They are really low profile compared to old style chains and work great. I've got a pair for the vw. Z chain I think is the brand name. Supposed to be easier on the drive train i think.

Sal-XK
10-03-2011, 05:22 PM
I have some friends in Colorado... the chains they had for their Rover were pretty serious...

Though im not sure if they sell chains in difference "levels" of aggressiveness?

You can get cable chains if your worried about it for low clearance issues http://www.tirechain.com/CAR_CABLE_MOUNTING_INTRUCTIONS.HTM

Matt
10-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Those cable chains sound like the way to go!

hoaxci5
10-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Now I have to find out if they meet the CA standards for a traction aid.

Budasac
10-03-2011, 05:34 PM
I think the reason the manual reccomends smaller tires be used with the chains is because of the minimal clearance to the UCA BJ.

superacerc
10-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm sure they meet the cali requirement. I believe cable styles came out because front wheel drive cars couldn't really handle the actual chains well. So that's all that's really used on most cars these days. The chains are really good for icy slippery surface conditions but in soft snow a nice M/T will do the trick. For on road driving that's all you'll really need i think.

Here's the kind i use on my car:
http://scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_ZChain.html

Sal-XK
10-03-2011, 06:32 PM
I think the reason the manual reccomends smaller tires be used with the chains is because of the minimal clearance to the UCA BJ.

I didn't think of that good point

jantrit
02-06-2012, 08:07 PM
I have a set of four of these that we got for the wife's XK V-BAR (http://www.tirechain.com/VBAR.htm) My thinking was that these were for going over Donner and if we had to chain up I'd be going slow with them anyway. The mistake people make with chains is going too fast. If you are chained up in snow you are on some really nasty stuff and you probably shouldn't be going much faster than you can walk. I didn't see any problems when I test fit them but I didn't jack up and check full lock either. I may have to go back and look at the UCA clearance again.

My golden rule is that if you have chains on.....you're in for a long slow ride. If a chain pops when you are going slow, you MIGHT be able to stop before you annihilate your body panel. If it pops while you are going fast, you're auto body shop will love you.

WanderingTs
02-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Wish I had seen this thread eariler. In my previous work life in interfaced with CHP several times each winter regarding the chain conditions on I-80 over Donner Summit, and frequently talked to the CalTrans guy who actually made the call on what the chain control level was and where. While I am not 100% certain it would be the same in the Big Bear area (the north state decisions are made in Marysville, not sure what command Big Bear falls under), you will likely never have to worry about R1 controls. In almost all circumstances if the conditions get worse than R2, they close the highways. I worked directly with them every winter for almost 10 years and never saw R1 controls ever. Almost all chain installers etc who work in the snow all the time only have 4X4 with snow tires because if the plows can't keep up, CalTrans pulls the plug. Again, your area may be different, but I would guess CalTrans has the same guidelines statewide.

It is a California thing due to the funky (read:dumb) liability laws here. Can you imagine if they closed the east coast when it snowed bad?