PDA

View Full Version : Leaking water?

sean112280
10-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Has anyone else had leaking water from their sunroof or the front pillars where the handles are? My jeep sat in the rain yesterday only for a couple hours and the floormats/floor were really wet. I am trying to see if anybody else has had this happen and what they did to fix it? Thanks guys:D

Matt
10-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Sounds like the sunroof drains are clogged. I haven't had the issue... but I know there's a relatively simple fix (clean them out).

I bet Sal will have a link to step-by-step instructions...

sean112280
10-03-2011, 03:52 PM
hopefully he does :)

Matt
10-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Didn't read it yet but...... http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/79-Water-Leak-Just-do-it-your-self?highlight=leaking

Matt
10-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Came across this with a more detailed search: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showpost.php?p=159958&postcount=465

You should give it a shot and write a "how to" for our tech section :cool:

Sal-XK
10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
I don't have a link I'm guessing the link Matt provided from JC should be the one. I've read of people blowing out the drain plugs from both ends using compressors and canned air just use what you have I guess obviously don't have the compressor at 120PSI :) I also heard of the drain plugs coming undone and needed to be fixed dropping the head liner and pulling the A pillar covers exposes most all the places it runs to. Also had people pull the roof rail screws and reseal those as well so there are lots of places for water to get in. The secondary door sill is a TSB so check that too. With the front end rake on the stock setup you can be leaking in the back and it ends up pooling in the front floor boards but that's not as common as the other fixes.

Holaday07 4.7
10-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Mine just started doing this. Water somes out the bottom of the molding in front of the door. If that makes sense, but I am trying to clean out the drains this weekend. Let you know how it goes

sean112280
10-04-2011, 05:12 AM
I will be doing this as well. I can do a write-up as well :cool:

Matt
10-22-2011, 03:35 PM
I'll be doing this tomorrow morning....

sean112280
10-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Sorry I didnt get a chance to post the write-up w pictures. The move came quick and had to do a bunch of stuff. We are in TX right now at my mother in-laws house(no internet) so i use my phone and cant upload from my phone.

superacerc
10-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Used to wish i had a sunroof. Now i'm glad I don't. Good luck on the cleaning.

Matt
10-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Took me about 15 minutes to clean the drains.... the passenger side, which is the side I noticed leaking, had a bug stuck in it.

AJeepZJ
10-24-2011, 09:14 AM
My sunroof is an aftermarket sunroof, outsourced by the Jeep dealership in Cary, N.C. But after 2 years, I have not had a problem with it leaking water on the inside. It is very different from the one that comes equipped with the WK's. There is a secondary drain pan on the inside of the cabin that will catch any water that would supposedly leak into the cabin. I have only seen a little water in this pan when we have torrential rain for days - typically hurricane-like weather, the only other time it does it is when the cabin is significantly warmer than the outside condensation will build up and drain in this pan as well. It's drains tubes are located on the driver-side door.

Matt
10-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Eh, if I had to remove the entire headliner or something I'd be a bit mad. But for 15 minutes of work every 4-5 years, its not a big deal. Actually its so easy to do that I may clean them out more often, maybe every other fall, Just so it never becomes a notable issue again.

BonesWK
06-10-2013, 05:01 AM
I fell victim to this issue this past weekend thanks to Andrea. Though a weak storm, I had my jeep backed into my driveway which is sloped... well I guess the sloping forced all the water towards my sunroof and front of my jeep. Got in it to drive a couple days after the storm and had puddles of water on my passenger and driver side floor boards.

Looks like some investigating is needed. - I love the smell of mildew in the morning!

Edit - yes I know its a revive, but I used search!

06JeepXKHEMI
06-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Probably sunroof drain plugged. Also check door seals and windshield seals

Gulf550
06-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Her is a link to a video that shows a 5 min fix for blocked drains

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=jeep%20commander%20water%20leak%20video&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC8QtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dud-ny29vBlI&ei=DXi2UZHYCI_k8gSfsYDwDw&usg=AFQjCNFXWQT0B03RKpF0zTdk7uUiJlgR4g&bvm=bv.47534661,d.eWU

BonesWK
06-11-2013, 06:00 AM
Her is a link to a video that shows a 5 min fix for blocked drains

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=jeep%20commander%20water%20leak%20video&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC8QtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dud-ny29vBlI&ei=DXi2UZHYCI_k8gSfsYDwDw&usg=AFQjCNFXWQT0B03RKpF0zTdk7uUiJlgR4g&bvm=bv.47534661,d.eWU

dude, awesome! Thanks for the post

BonesWK
02-13-2014, 06:22 AM
Well another revive, now since the ice storm and it thawing at once on my jeep, my pillars AND my middle section where the garage door buttons are leaked water the whole way into work.

Looks like its investigation time again. I already cleared these dang things out already. I think they may be clogged again with all the salt and mud I have been through

criket
02-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Well another revive, now since the ice storm and it thawing at once on my jeep, my pillars AND my middle section where the garage door buttons are leaked water the whole way into work.

Looks like its investigation time again. I already cleared these dang things out already. I think they may be clogged again with all the salt and mud I have been through

Snow is already thawing towards your way?!? We got almost a foot and it's still coming down hard

I hope you find the source for the leaks. Double check condition of all the seals/weather stripping since you jeep is a few years old some parts mat be dry rotted a little. I know my 2009 work vehicle has some dry rotting on the seals. It leaks a little.

BonesWK
02-13-2014, 07:45 AM
Oh man, I wish we got snow. All we got was ice down here. Probably about 1/2 -3/4 inch of ice on some places. The temp rose just enough to start melting it last night and it was basically gone this morning.

Might I ask, what problem spots should I check for the seals/Weather stripping ( i.e windshield)? And how do I fix it? - Sorry, never done any of that work before