PDA

View Full Version : Trail damage at Silverton

TrialByFire
10-03-2011, 08:20 PM
If you don't push the limits, you don't learn anything. Here is what I learned this weekend on Poughkeepsie Gulch (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=77)near Silverton:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/10/DSC06084-1.jpg

Stay off anything that's a bumper-dragger unless you have re-routed your rear muffler & pipe. "A Midas Moment" was how the fellow called it who later winched me out so I didnt completely destroy my muffler.

This was the second time I have backed down a climb, only to snag the pipe and bend the rear muffler under the rear tire.

I had a FlowMaster installed today, replacing both mufflers (and saving about 40 lbs!). They installed it in place of the front muffler and kept the exhaust pipe high and out of the way, carving a bit out of the rear plastic. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

The second issue was that when the muffler got shoved forward, it bent the shaft of my rear shock so it's toast too. When I got home, the driver side was leaking also. Maybe Matt can tell me what length RX9000XL I need with my 4" lift?

hoaxci5
10-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Ouch that sucks. Bet you had a smile on your face for most of it though :)

TrialByFire
10-03-2011, 09:33 PM
It needed a new muffler anyway. It was interesting that the shop recommended the FlowMaster over the MagnaFlow because of lower backpressure. They said the MagnaFlow would decrease torque. We'll see if my gas milage improves again w/o the kinked pipe.

superacerc
10-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Which flowmaster did you get and how does it sound? How about droning in the vehicle? Been contemplating the 50 series SUV myself but don't want to deal with the in vehicle noise.

pjmjr508
10-04-2011, 05:16 AM
Really great pics sir.

I have the 50 Series & love it. It is loud & you do hear it inside the cab. It does have a great deep tone

sean112280
10-04-2011, 05:18 AM
looks like a fun time anyway:D

BonesWK
10-04-2011, 05:25 AM
awesome pic man. Glad it all worked out without major carnage

LWM
10-04-2011, 05:28 AM
That was the one trail I did not take becuase I was afraid of the trail damage and having to drive back to Phoenix afterwards.

superacerc
10-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Really great pics sir.

I have the 50 Series & love it. It is loud & you do hear it inside the cab. It does have a great deep tone

Thanks for the info. I'm a fan of a quiet interior on a daily driver so that deters me from going with the flowmaster. I dont mind hearing it but i don't like drone. Does yours drone inside the cab? Not sure if that's a clear question. I've been in several small cars where people put the horrible can mufflers on them and it drives me crazy! Does it do that or make it hard to talk when riding down the freeway? If you just hear it but it's unobtrusive that's fine with me.

AJeepZJ
10-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Looks pretty stuck, lol. Loving the color on that XK.

pjmjr508
10-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm a fan of a quiet interior on a daily driver so that deters me from going with the flowmaster. I dont mind hearing it but i don't like drone. Does yours drone inside the cab? Not sure if that's a clear question. I've been in several small cars where people put the horrible can mufflers on them and it drives me crazy! Does it do that or make it hard to talk when riding down the freeway? If you just hear it but it's unobtrusive that's fine with me.

I will try this weekend to take a video with driving it on the freeway so you can tell for yourself if that will help.
It is a 3" from the CAT back.
Keep in mind I am running MT's & also has a CAI also using a Flashpaq with it so that can change the tone a bit.

Holaday07 4.7
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Looks like you are going to be getting new bumpers soon, lol. Love the pic man, post some up of the rest of the trail ride?

superacerc
10-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I will try this weekend to take a video with driving it on the freeway so you can tell for yourself if that will help.
It is a 3" from the CAT back.
Keep in mind I am running MT's & also has a CAI also using a Flashpaq with it so that can change the tone a bit.
I started a new thread so as not to go off topic here.
Exhaust comparisons (http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/1281-Exhaust-systems-how-they-compare.)

TrialByFire
10-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Sorry no exhaust pics today. It's been raining here all day.

As for the FlowMaster sound level, it is pretty noticable on acceleration (even minor acceleration) but at a steady speeds it is about as quiet as the OEM setup--though I haven't had it on the freeway yet.

Jon, you should have done the trail. It is one of the best I've done so far and ranks right up there with the best Moab has to offer. The particular obstacle that grabbed my muffler has a lot of different lines and a couple of winch points. It was definately the hardest point on the trail but the only one without a bypass (the FS closed it off).

Yes, I do need new bumpers but it will be a while. I'll probably do the rear first so I have a place to mount my 33" spare.

jcoulter
10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
I still have the flat spot on my exhaust tip from when I did the same thing. Glad you're having fun!

LWM
10-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Jon, you should have done the trail. It is one of the best I've done so far and ranks right up there with the best Moab has to offer. The particular obstacle that grabbed my muffler has a lot of different lines and a couple of winch points. It was definately the hardest point on the trail but the only one without a bypass (the FS closed it off).

I will add it to my Ultimate Jeep Summit 2013 list of must do trails!

ped4599
10-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Sorry no exhaust pics today. It's been raining here all day.

As for the FlowMaster sound level, it is pretty noticable on acceleration (even minor acceleration) but at a steady speeds it is about as quiet as the OEM setup--though I haven't had it on the freeway yet.

Yes, I do need new bumpers but it will be a while. I'll probably do the rear first so I have a place to mount my 33" spare.

Trialbyfire,
I told you this was a trail that you should try if you get a chance. I knew you would like it. I did warn you though about possible damage!
SOOOO.....Did you have a winch with you this time? did you need a winch to get up the "wall"?....were you able to make it up or did you go back down?

Hope you had fun.

-justin

Sal-XK
10-05-2011, 09:15 AM
That is freaking out standing :)

Matt
10-05-2011, 12:15 PM
.... what I would give to go wheeling with you man! maybe us east coast guys can rent a car hauler one day to ship our rigs out west... then wheel them for a week and send them back!

ill check out the shocks lengths And mounting options from Rancho after I put the kids to bed tonight and let ya know. :)

TrialByFire
10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Trialbyfire,
I told you this was a trail that you should try if you get a chance. I knew you would like it. I did warn you though about possible damage!
SOOOO.....Did you have a winch with you this time? did you need a winch to get up the "wall"?....were you able to make it up or did you go back down?

Hope you had fun.

-justin
I spent about five minutes trying various lines, then got stuck on 'The Wall'. I spent the next hour trying to get unstuck. A couple of guys in a JK had arrived a bit earlier and were entertained watching me before I let them winch me up as it was about to rain. I can't wait to go back with a broom! The easiest way up was covered with sand and I just couldn't seem to get any traction. 'The Wall' was steep but clean which is what enticed me to try it. My other problem (I have many, I know) was that my ESP/BAS and ABS warning lights had come back on (an intermittent occurance) and I'm not sure the system was working properly.

TrialByFire
10-05-2011, 08:03 PM
.... what I would give to go wheeling with you man! maybe us east coast guys can rent a car hauler one day to ship our rigs out west... then wheel them for a week and send them back!

ill check out the shocks lengths And mounting options from Rancho after I put the kids to bed tonight and let ya know. :)
I feel the same way about that California wheeling! I'll have to save up to afford driving out to the Sierras.

Looking forward to your advice on the Ranchos...

HueyPilotVN
10-05-2011, 08:28 PM
I spent about five minutes trying various lines, then got stuck on 'The Wall'. I spent the next hour trying to get unstuck. A couple of guys in a JK had arrived a bit earlier and were entertained watching me before I let them winch me up as it was about to rain. I can't wait to go back with a broom! The easiest way up was covered with sand and I just couldn't seem to get any traction. 'The Wall' was steep but clean which is what enticed me to try it. My other problem (I have many, I know) was that my ESP/BAS and ABS warning lights had come back on (an intermittent occurance) and I'm not sure the system was working properly.

I think that you would have climbed right up that wall if you did not have that heavy "air compressor" in the back of your Commander.

TrialByFire
10-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I think that you would have climbed right up that wall if you did not have that heavy "air compressor" in the back of your Commander.
I must say, it came in handy too! I was running 15 lbs and as they winched me up, the rear passenger tire 'burped' and dropped to 9 lbs!

ScorpionCrawler
10-06-2011, 04:55 AM

I'm working out a deal with a car hauler now for next year, yep, this is the guy that brought mine back from Rapid City...... He is located in Baltimore, we have been figuring him picking mine up fully loaded and hauling it to either Phoenix or Seattle, we would fly to either city do our adventures for 2 weeks hitting all the west coast states, on a one way route and he would meet us at the end for the XK's return trip home. Looking into doing it with a train as well. (just re-read this,OK sounded weird I'm not doin a train!) Planning for mid July departure, he could drop mine in Phoenix, take the others wherever you want, load yours up when your done and meet me in Seattle.
The "WEST" really is the "BEST". Unless you live for MUD, right???
TrialByFire thanks for sharing this and your pics..I don't get to do things like this but it's fun looking as others like you do.
I could never live west and be employed, I'd be pulling a nooner every day.

Matt
10-06-2011, 05:37 AM
I feel the same way about that California wheeling! I'll have to save up to afford driving out to the Sierras.

Looking forward to your advice on the Ranchos...

good news and bad news..... the bad news is it looks like its much easier to find RS9000XL shocks that'll work with 2-3" budget boost style lifts. I'm sure there are a few in the spec catalogue that will work, but its determining which mounting options are compatible and going from there to find the proper length.

The good new? check out Rancho part number RS19287. Its their nitrogen charged pro-series reservoir shock and it looks like its PERFECTLY suited for the 4" superlift. LS38 for both upper and lower mounts (same as the Monroe shocks Sal just put on), compressed length of 18.5" (about 3.5" longer than stock) and extended length of 30.5" (about 6" longer than stock).

I haven't looked at the RS5000s.... not sure what direction you're looking to go. but with the wheeling you're doing I'd imagine you're looking at more performance based shocks...

Holaday07 4.7
10-06-2011, 05:53 AM
I'm working out a deal with a car hauler now for next year, yep, this is the guy that brought mine back from Rapid City...... He is located in Baltimore, we have been figuring him picking mine up fully loaded and hauling it to either Phoenix or Seattle, we would fly to either city do our adventures for 2 weeks hitting all the west coast states, on a one way route and he would meet us at the end for the XK's return trip home. Looking into doing it with a train as well. (just re-read this,OK sounded weird I'm not doin a train!) Planning for mid July departure, he could drop mine in Phoenix, take the others wherever you want, load yours up when your done and meet me in Seattle.
The "WEST" really is the "BEST". Unless you live for MUD, right???
TrialByFire thanks for sharing this and your pics..I don't get to do things like this but it's fun looking as others like you do.
I could never live west and be employed, I'd be pulling a nooner every day.

Where I come from, a nooner is a good thing!

TrialByFire
10-06-2011, 09:49 PM
check out Rancho part number RS19287. Its their nitrogen charged pro-series reservoir shock and it looks like its PERFECTLY suited for the 4" superlift. LS38 for both upper and lower mounts (same as the Monroe shocks Sal just put on), compressed length of 18.5" (about 3.5" longer than stock) and extended length of 30.5" (about 6" longer than stock).

Ouch! That's more than what I paid for the Bilstein 7150s! Then again, the Bilsteins didn't last six months. I'll probably grumble and procrastinate for a day or two, but maybe a deal will come along to make it a bit easier to take. They do look very nice!

Matt
10-07-2011, 05:34 AM
it looks like RS999050 would work and be a bit easier on the wallet. They're 4.7" longer fully extended and 3" longer fully compressed (thereby not decreasing capabilities ).

The lower mount is an LS26 instead of the stock LS38. This means they have the same sleeve width (1.5") but the LS26 has a 12mm ID instead of the 1/2" ID that the LS38 has. So.... the bolt may be a bit tight in there. But you could always drill it out with a 1/2" bit if needed.

The upper mount is a universal L1 instead of the stock LS30. The L1 means it just has a bushing, no sleeve. Rancho has "parts packs" that contains sleeves, you would just need to call them and ask them which parts pack would adapt an L1 universal to either an LS30, LS38, LS39 or LS40. Any of those would work.... they probably don't have a kit for the LS30 since that's a metric 12mm ID. The LS38-LS40 are 1/2" ID sleeves with increasing widths, 1-1/2, 1-5/8 and 1-11/16 respectively. So depending on which one of those you get, you'll just need a few washers to make up for the excess width since the stock LS30 mount is 1-7/8" wide.

El Cid
10-07-2011, 11:11 AM
A little late, but I just had to chime in with thanks for warming my heart with the pic. Poughkeepsie is my favorite trail in the land. I know those rocks you're smashed on FAR too well. :)

TrialByFire
10-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I just ordered the RS19287s.

Matt
10-15-2011, 06:29 PM
awesome! make sure you post up a review :)

TrialByFire
11-12-2011, 05:01 PM
awesome! make sure you post up a review :)

After finding that the Ranchos had been discontinued, I settled on Fox 2.0 Pro Reservoir shocks. The whole story is here. (http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/1326-Fox-2.0-Pro-Resi-shock-on-Superlift)