PDA

View Full Version : Modern Electronics not such a great thing...

LWM
10-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Last week I took my Commnader in for repairs becuase the air bag warnign light was stuck on and my air bag system was disabled. Well the dealership charged me $200.50 to reset the passenger seat moduale as they told me that I must be traveling with a bag on teh passenger seat or something and it threw the system off (told then my wife was not a bag). The truth is I don't place anything in the seat and it is just faulty electronics!

Last night I drive my smart home and park it in the driveway like I always do (when the garage is full). I went out ten minutes later to move the car and it would not start. Called the tow truck and paid the $120.00 to take it to the only smart dealer in the state 30 miles away and now I wait for them to call me and tell me how much money they are going to take from me to replace another failed electronic part.

From what I read on the smart car forum it is a failed shifter gate or shifter mechanism. Most owners complain that it takes several weeks for the parts to get here and the repair is between $600 and $750.

AJeepZJ
10-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Yeah... That's really awful. Which is why my next Jeep... Will only be purchased if I can limit its intelligence... I only want it to be a certain of amount of smart.

Matt
10-05-2011, 08:18 AM
so you had a faulty airbag sensor.... happens. its not like your vehicle is riddled with electrical gremlins is it?

I don't have an issue with modern electronics. ... with increase capabilities comes increases in parts that may fail. MY issue is when the OEMs limit the owners capabilities to troubleshoot and repair on our own..... now that's a problem.

WanderingTs
10-13-2011, 11:10 PM
True electronics make for more capabilities, but -

My dad has a 1963 Manx Dune Buggy (volkswagon engine converted into fiberglass body) that we have taken all over. It has had many failures, including several electrical. Every single one of significance we were able to repair on the trail, sometimes just a length of wire. No specialty tools required. In one case, I was even able to ride leaning over the back and watch the points open and close to troubleshoot.

Every Jeep failure I have had so far (luckily none that have stranded me) has been impossible to fix on the trail and has just been a limp out without causing any more damage than I already have.