PDA

View Full Version : 3.7 CAI Questions?

ItsMeKO3
10-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I've got a guy willing to sell me his K&N CAI for the 3.7 for 100$. Just wanted to see what you guys think about this deal? Good price? Is it worth it for the 3.7? What are the gains? Difficulty to install? Just wondering if I should jump on this deal. Thanks guys.

Sal-XK
10-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Easy to install yes, good price yes, the gains you get are up for debate though.

ItsMeKO3
10-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Thats what I see reading about it right now. Well, I'll give it some thought for a few days.

DetroitMarauder
10-07-2011, 07:42 AM
I've been looking at them too. They are normally anywhere from $250 for the 63 up to $350 for the 77 that fits the 3.7 so $100 is a really good deal if its in good condition. I've read that the horsepower gains aren't "provable" but that it gives a little more power, helps the engine breath better, and gives it a nice sound. If you decide to get it take some pics after the install so I can see what mine would look like.

ItsMeKO3
10-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Will do.

AJeepZJ
10-07-2011, 02:16 PM
CAI is something I continue to put off for my WK. Pretty widely known that the gains on them are fairly insubstantial. They do allow the engine to breathe better, but at what cost? Some of these brands allow silicates to deposit into the engine itself - which can seize up the engine. So the filter isn't doing much of it's job, and your probably replacing the oil a lot more frequently than you care to. I'd like one, yes, but I'm hesitant - I continue to debate with myself what would be the best intake for 3.7L WK/XK's.

In retrospect, it would be nice to find a knowledgeable vendor.

LWM
10-07-2011, 02:39 PM
In retrospect, it would be nice to find a knowledgeable vendor.

Airaid is one of our vendors, not sure if they have products for the 3.7 however.

superacerc
10-07-2011, 05:24 PM
I've not heard much on the K&N specifically but my buddy with a 3.7 wrangler did the full cat back exhaust and CAintake and then did the superchips 87 tune and said he could tell quite a difference after the tune but not so much before. He contacted the superchips people when he was debating whether or not to buy it and the rep asked if he had already done exhaust and intake. At that time he hadn't so he informed the guy that he didn't have either. The rep said don't buy the flashpaq (at least not for the power gain) cause it wouldn't help unless he upgraded the breathability of his JK first. He eventually did and then bought the flashpaq and is now quite satisfied. He was a little down on power as he's running 35s with 513 gears and a 6 inch lift. (It's the guy in my hidden falls pics with the white rubicon). Lucky him though cause he was able to change his shift points to help compensate for the gears and wheels. I don't think we can do that with the flashpaqs for the commander.

AJeepZJ
10-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I've not heard much on the K&N specifically but my buddy with a 3.7 wrangler did the full cat back exhaust and CAintake and then did the superchips 87 tune and said he could tell quite a difference after the tune but not so much before.

You must mean the 3.8? With 5.13 gears I don't see how he would have had an issue fetching shift points - especially on that 42RLE (I'm assuming it wasn't manual).. It's almost always on the 3rd of 4th gear.... squeeze just a little on the pedal and it drops to 3rd pretty effortlessly.

superacerc
10-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Yep 3.8L. Sorry. It wasn't that it didn't pull the weight alright. It was just that it would hunt too much for the right gear before getting the power. Don't know much more about it except he complained about it and his wife didn't like it the way it drove. She drives it to work now that he's got the tune and shift points polished up a bit. He does have all steel bumpers, steel fenders, the stinger up front with a Warn i think, steel spare tire and 2 jerry can holder and steel rock sliders and skid plates on it so it's riding pretty heavy.

He needed a pull after getting stuck on this rock.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/10/IMG_2262-1.jpg