PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Pipes (Cat Converters?)

Holaday07 4.7
10-07-2011, 01:49 PM
I dont know if this is the right place to post this. I smashed the two pipes that the Belly Guard cover. They are really pretty dented up. Yesterday I took the Jeep and put about a hundred miles on it, and it feels sluggish. Should I leave it alone and just do the plugs, or just let the exhaust stay as is till it rusts out. Not a huge deal, but it did not seem to have as much go, and was searching for grears on every hill.

AJeepZJ
10-07-2011, 01:57 PM
]I dont know if this is the right place to post this.

Created a new thread over here for you. :)

I smashed the two pipes that the Belly Guard cover. They are really pretty dented up. Yesterday I took the Jeep and put about a hundred miles on it, and it feels sluggish. Should I leave it alone and just do the plugs, or just let the exhaust stay as is till it rusts out. Not a huge deal, but it did not seem to have as much go, and was searching for grears on every hill.

I hope you aren't talking about your Cat Converters are you? Because damage to those will give you those exact symptoms. If it is your cats, fix asap... Pricey though =/

Holaday07 4.7
10-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Created a new thread over here for you. :)

I hope you aren't talking about your Cat Converters are you? Because damage to those will give you those exact symptoms. If it is your cats, fix asap... Pricey though =/

**** I hope not, I will try and take pics of it this weekend. Damaged cat would make sense though, I had to switch that out on my Altima and it really hurt the mpg and power.

pjmjr508
10-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Stupid question, how did you smash up the CATs if you have the belly guard?

AJeepZJ
10-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Stupid question, how did you smash up the CATs if you have the belly guard?

I was HONESTLY asking myself the same question, lol.

Sal-XK
10-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I was HONESTLY asking myself the same question, lol.

I've dropped my Jeep on that belly guard pretty darn hard and barely dented the skid so I'm not sure how you damage the cats if you skid is installed unless he took it off for something.... also if you did dent your cats then you have to replace them :( check rockauto or somewhere and bring them with you to be installed I wouldn't let the shop orders that part they will kill you on the price.

Holaday07 4.7
10-08-2011, 05:22 AM
I dont have the Belly Guard! They were out, and I decided to go on the run anyways. May be paying the price now, but I will have an exhaust shop check it out.

Matt
10-08-2011, 05:22 AM
don't drive too long on damaged cats. if dented/damaged then its likely the mesh broke and is clogging. That's like trying to run your engine With a sealed exhaust; hence the lack of power

Holaday07 4.7
10-08-2011, 05:29 AM
yeah I dont want anything getting pulled up in the engine either (something they warned me about on my car) Ill see what the shop says today

AJeepZJ
10-08-2011, 05:38 AM
Good luck, bro.

07JeepXK
10-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Just a heads up from my experience. Those cats arent cheap at all. I paid almost $900 for them from the dealer when I ruined mine off roading. If you decide to replace the o2 sensors, DO NOT BUY AFTER MARKET sensors, buy OEM directly from the dealer. Trust me on this one. It will save you the headache I had. After market o2 sensors dont work on our XK's. Also dont try to tackle to swap by yourself like I did. Have a buddy help.

Holaday07 4.7
10-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Wooohooo! No damage to the cats! Shop said the exhaust is a bit dented up, but nothing that would hurt the power or engine. I was going to be really mad at myself. Now I am for sure getting the belly guard, after this next trip out...

Matt
10-08-2011, 02:04 PM
glad to hear.... that would've sucked!!

Holaday07 4.7
10-08-2011, 02:48 PM
glad to hear.... that would've sucked!!

Yeah, good that it was not them, but what is making it feel slugish?

Matt
10-08-2011, 03:04 PM
are you getting any codes? did you change anything else? any other symptoms?

Holaday07 4.7
10-08-2011, 05:21 PM
are you getting any codes? did you change anything else? any other symptoms?

Nothing, just feels tired. My fiance only drives it about 12 miles per day, so I took it out to get some highway miles on it. Someone told me to do that a long time ago. All maint is caught up except I am due for an oil change in 300 miles.

AJeepZJ
10-08-2011, 05:29 PM
You check the condition of that air filter??? Or do an oil change? Especially after wheeling in dusty areas.... I usually chamge theair filter and oil.

Holaday07 4.7
10-08-2011, 05:31 PM
I was trying to hold out on the air filter to buy a CIA, but I guess its only $10 for a new one.