PDA

View Full Version : Heading out to the highway

strokeZ
10-07-2011, 08:19 PM
The E28 (old 5 series) is in the shop for some minor fixes - until then I am doing a New Mexico / Colorado / Utah tour with this beastie

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/10/CIMG1068-1.jpg

New Mich Pilot Super Sports shoud provide for some fun twisties.....

superacerc
10-07-2011, 08:25 PM
HA! You went for the pilot sports anyway. Aren't they awesome? I love mine. Much quieter than other racing tires.

strokeZ
10-07-2011, 08:36 PM
I have less than 100 mile on em so they are till a bit oily. 245's in the front and 265's in the rr. Should take the boost from the SC nicely. Ill put them to the test after Fort Worth. I upgraded to Koni Sports and H&R lowering springs. Unlike Commander world stuff my clearance is now less than 5" which is AWESOME.

superacerc
10-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Sounds sweet. Yeah mine were a bit oily for a while. Leaving the tire shop i was barely touching the pedal and they were squealing pretty bad. Watch for those cops around Ft Worth. There's a ton of em. I got stopped by 2 at different times on the same trip! but my coast guard ball cap got me out of the first which was for speeding (95 on a flat texas highway is a good cruise control speed for the Jetta keeping the revs nice and low and i'm barely movin). The second was just a complaint that my license plate covers weren't allowed so it wasn't any issue hehe

strokeZ
10-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Yeah heard that DFW is using Laser now so will be obidient....LOL.. I can do 50 to 120 in a few secs so still fun. You need to join us on our next "run". We had Infinities and Porsches and BMW's One guy got nailed for 90 in a 60 although we were all doing 130 +. Bit of a pucker factor, but hell......its all good at 6 am.

superacerc
10-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I'd love to. Let me know when you guys are riding around(just don't get me in trouble). I've got to get my headliner redone sometime. I lucked up and got one of the Made in Mexico Jettas and it leaves something to be desired as far as interior durability. The engine is assembled in Germany/Austria so it's ok but the body is done in Mexico so it's messing up and the glue isn't holding right. Just have to get it to a shop sometime. Have fun on the trip. can't wait for the trip in Nov.

strokeZ
10-07-2011, 09:08 PM
I have a guy that can do it right. I did my '85 redone in Alcantara (suede) for 5 bills. Looks pristine. There are lots of things that can be DIY for less than you might think. The Z is holding it's own. Aside from blowing the Koni sports in a year (should have gone with coil overs DUH) and going from Dinan to H&R springs the thing performes great. I just put Bilstein Sports and H&R springs on the 5 and it handles much much better. I need to lower the back perches cuz I almost lost the rear a few times in Austin. That plus a short shift N a few other goodies make it a nice sport daily driver.

superacerc
10-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Sounds nice. I don't need fancy material. Wouldn't mind just having the stock headliner properly installed. I think the headliner is 140 from VW. Sounds like the old 5 is pretty nice. I'd love one of the new 1 series models. You know i find myself wanting just about every car around. I need to really stop wanting them all. You'll have to take a look at my 66 sometime.

strokeZ
10-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Would love to! My uncle runs a shop in Detroit where he has claimed #1 in NHRA drag competitions. He has a dyno at his shop and has offered to do my Z for free. The ol 5 is kickin for it's age. It's still an old car - no skid control, dynamic control, but its fun! I love the old muscle beasts.......cant be beat in my book.