PDA

View Full Version : Two transfer case DTCs today...

Matt
10-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Just had my "Service 4wd" warning come up on our way back from the park today....

C1405: Transfer case range position sensor circuit high.
C1406: Transfer case brake performance.

Still in MD so I can't trouble shoot yet.... lol but I don't like how these ones sound!! (36k miles on the clock).

sean112280
10-09-2011, 09:24 AM
oh man that isn't good at all. what do you think it is causing that?

Matt
10-09-2011, 09:29 AM
I did a quick google search and someone on JG had the same faults, dealer replaced the t-case motor... makes sense, I'll have to go through my service manual to see how to troubleshoot it; but i have a bad feeling that this is one of those systems where you need the dealer scan tool to actuate the control modules.

One of those times I wish i had a 3rd vehicle!

sean112280
10-09-2011, 09:34 AM
wow that sucks man. I hear you on the 3rd vehicle:) I need a second...lol

Matt
10-09-2011, 09:40 AM
The good news is that a new shift motor is $200 (reman)... i'm pretty sure that im out of warranty. I'd just need to make sure it doesnt require any special setup to install; some new motors require hooking up to a scanner to set the limits. If its plug&play, im good.

sean112280
10-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Thats good news. Hopefully for you its plug and play

Matt
10-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Oh wow, its actually cheaper than i thought because i was reading it wrong. The motor is $143 + $35 for the core.. so i get the $35 back when i return my other motor. I also have a 5% coupon code. So for $150 i'll probably just order it if the code comes back on my drive home tomorrow. (yes, i said tomorrow... Serenas taking a sick day because our daughter is "sick"...)

sean112280
10-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Lol nice. At least u dont have to rush now.

Matt
10-09-2011, 10:22 AM
well it turns out I do have a 6 year 80k mile warranty..... but the deductible is $150... lol so Ill probably still fix it myself. (unless it turns out to be a bad tcase... then they'll fix it!)

sean112280
10-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Thats good to know that you have that though.

07JeepXK
10-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Its plug and play.

Matt
10-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Good to know. Just got home... drive took 3.5 hours because of accident on 95; codes didnt pop back on yet so thats a good sign. Im going to try cleaning off the connectors next chance i get.

Matt
10-10-2011, 03:07 PM
spoke too soon... C1405 is coming up instantly now. Pulling out the manual after kids go to bed

ScorpionCrawler
10-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Good Luck, hope it works out.

Matt
10-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Just read through the manual... going to take some voltage readings tomorrow to rule out a harness short, but it looks like its going to need a shift motor. Shift motor failures are much more common than harnesses going bad anyways... (i've replaced the shift motor on 2 previous 4wd vehicles)

Matt
10-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Its plug and play.

Just read the R&R and you are correct.

The service manual did say that the shift motors are shipped in the Neutral position, so you should put the t-case in N (if possible). Later on in the instructions they tell you to manually shift the t-case if necessary to align the teeth of the shift motor and tcase shaft; it can't be installed wrong because there's a missing tooth in the spline.

Matt
10-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Took some readings today... its getting the correct voltage. There's a few tests to do to rule out the control module, but you need the dealers scan tool to read those voltages when you jump the connector :mad:

So i'm going to replace the motor assembly. Getting a price for a new unit from the dealer tomorrow... if it's not much more i'd rather get a new motor as opposed to reman. Otherwise i'll be ordering the Retech unit from RockAuto..

Sal-XK
10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
That stinks man and you don't have that many miles either

Matt
10-11-2011, 06:36 PM
"city" mileage is much worse than "highway" mileage on a vehicle. The short trips that my vehicle was driven by the previous owner, and my short 12 mile commute to work with a lot of traffic lights is a lot worse on the drivetrain than a 60 mile round trip highway commute.

Matt
10-13-2011, 12:32 PM
holy crap!!!!! new unit from the dealer is $475+tax. No wonder people are shocked by the $650 price tag for motor/install....

Looks like I'm ordering the Retech unit from RockAuto.... I can buy 3 of them and still come out ahead.

Matt
10-15-2011, 05:12 PM
t-case clutch locked up today... could barely pull into a parking spot (sharp turn).

yup, just ordered that tcase motor!

Sal-XK
10-16-2011, 09:27 PM
I think your spending more time wrenching lately then at your real job LOL

Matt
10-17-2011, 03:01 AM
That's very possible!!!

I need this motor to get here... my tcase clutch seems like its now permanently engaged. Tried a few tricks to get it to disengage but they didn't work. I'll probably change my tcase fluid after i change the motor as well since its getting a workout.

Matt
10-20-2011, 03:26 PM
This just isn't cool... shift motor hasn't even shipped yet and it was supposed to ship yesterday (based on an email I got on the 18th). Called up today and they assured me that it was shipping out today, but just checked status and its "At warehouse awaiting shipping". My tcase is fully engaged and i hate driving my jeep right now; and i have no choice.

Hindsights 20-20... i wish I would've just spent $400 for the shift motor from my friend. Would have had it in on Tuesday and been done with it. Instead, i'm trying to save $220 and probably causing 5x worth that in damage now https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png. I sure hope that fluid comes out clean when i change it :(

Matt
10-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Oh... and i need to clean my sunroof drains; water started leaking out the grab handle today on my way to work.

I'm having a great week!!! https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

I just need those P1128 & P1129 DTC codes to pop back up to really finish it of ;)

Sal-XK
10-20-2011, 04:39 PM
That blows bro but I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

Matt
10-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Im sure it will too.... just a lot going on right now and this adds a bit to the stress. I have my buddy checking stock, if they have it i may swing by the dealer and get the motor on my way home from work tomorrow (lol but watch that not be it and i need a new FCM)

Matt
10-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Well i ended up dropping jeep off at dealer yesterday after work... figured i'd use my warrantee , pay $150 deduct and have my jeep back today.

Just picked it up and turns out they need to order the shift motor. So although it's covered, im not better off in terms of driving around now. I'm hoping i can swing by Monday after work to get it installed (i can't see it taking more than a day).

In hindsight, instead of ordering the Retech motor from RockAuto, I kind of wish I ordered the OE part (5143786AA). $330 shipped isn't bad:
http://factorymoparparts.com/5143786aa.html

I might see if I can convince them to change the tcase fluid under "warranty" as well. A bit of a stretch, but I now have it on record that i've had this issue with Friday and the t-case is locked up due to the shift motor, which is a warranty item. I know that clutch is getting a workout, so i don't think its too much to ask to have them drain the fluid, make note if there's clutch material present, and refill. If the fluid is dirty (which i changed 6k miles ago) then i'll be on record and help me with a tcase claim in the future.

Matt
10-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Dealer called... picking my Jeep up at lunch. They said the fluids looked good and they checked the diffs too. I'm not sure how they "checked" the tcase without draining it.... unless they sucked some out but its tough to get a tube in there.

I'll ride it out... if there was damage I'm sure the 1406 code will come back "clutch performance"

Sal-XK
10-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Dealer called... picking my Jeep up at lunch. They said the fluids looked good and they checked the diffs too. I'm not sure how they "checked" the tcase without draining it.... unless they sucked some out but its tough to get a tube in there.

I'll ride it out... if there was damage I'm sure the 1406 code will come back "clutch performance"

Glad they got it all fixed up for you!

Matt
10-26-2011, 06:36 PM
I read my receipt and im actually a bit agitated at something... I told the service manager that i feel the MDS engage/disengage on the highway with cruise control on and that i found TSB 18-006-10 which is a programming update that's supposed to resolve the issue; so if they could, update it while it was there. He asked me to describe it and i basically told him it feels like you run over a small piece of wood when the cylinders activate.. like hitting a bump.

Well, on my receipt he put down for the "issue" that "feels like driving on wood when on highway". The tech's diagnosis was "customer installed aftermarket suspension that's stiffer and wheels and tires that are loud and vibrate". https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

There's 2 reasons this really irks me...
#1) I didn't ask them to diagnose anything... i told them what the issue was and gave them the TSB number that resolves the problem.

#2) Do those idiots really think i brought my modified jeep there to complain about a "rough ride"?

I thought about calling the service manager up tomorrow but im just going to let it go. THIS is why, even though i have a warranty, i do all of the work myself.

Sal-XK
10-27-2011, 09:20 AM
LMAO that's funny right there

Matt
10-27-2011, 09:28 AM
You getting a good laugh out of that makes me feel a bit better about the situation today. :)

Sal-XK
10-27-2011, 11:35 AM
You getting a good laugh out of that makes me feel a bit better about the situation today. :)

I just pictured the look on the mechanics face reading the symptoms and then your reaction reading the diagnoses LOL

Holaday07 4.7
10-27-2011, 12:09 PM
I just busted out laughing in my cube!! I would have looked at him and asked if he had sh*t in his ears. Gotta love a dealership.

Matt
10-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Lol yeah I'm really upset I didn't read the receipt while I was there.... I just wanted me keys and my Jeep; was too excited about the whole ordeal being done.

I hope one of the techs recognizes me at one of the shows and asks about it so I can tell him what I ACTUALLY wanted...

I keep my receipts in my glove box so that one will get some good laughs!!

ScorpionCrawler
10-27-2011, 12:44 PM
I read my receipt and im actually a bit agitated at something... I told the service manager that i feel the MDS engage/disengage on the highway with cruise control on and that i found TSB 18-006-10 which is a programming update that's supposed to resolve the issue; so if they could, update it while it was there. He asked me to describe it and i basically told him it feels like you run over a small piece of wood when the cylinders activate.. like hitting a bump.

Well, on my receipt he put down for the "issue" that "feels like driving on wood when on highway". The tech's diagnosis was "customer installed aftermarket suspension that's stiffer and wheels and tires that are loud and vibrate". https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

There's 2 reasons this really irks me...
#1) I didn't ask them to diagnose anything... i told them what the issue was and gave them the TSB number that resolves the problem.

#2) Do those idiots really think i brought my modified jeep there to complain about a "rough ride"?

I thought about calling the service manager up tomorrow but im just going to let it go. THIS is why, even though i have a warranty, i do all of the work myself.

He said WOOD.

Matt
11-04-2011, 03:03 PM
https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

New Fluid:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/20111104171944-1.jpg

What I removed (less than 8 months and ~7000 miles on it):

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/20111104171734-1.jpg

Sal-XK
11-04-2011, 03:48 PM
That's pretty dirty for such a short period.

Matt
11-04-2011, 04:14 PM
doesnt smell all that great either

superacerc
11-04-2011, 06:26 PM
He said WOOD.

I was trying to think of some other ways this guy could have misinterpret what he said:
Feels like driving with wood?
Gets wood while driving?

Ok i'll stop now.