PDA

View Full Version : Your Dream Front Bumper

LWM
10-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Okay here is the question... If you could design the new front bumper, what features would you want?

I am currently playing with a full steel bumper similar to the GetLost4x4 bumper with a few improvements and a new mounting system, I am also looking at a component system so you can build it one piece at a time as funding allows and all the parts will bolt together. But what features would YOU like to see?

Sal-XK
10-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Front receiver, shackle mounts, stinger, light mounts and fog light mounts. High clearance design nothing to bulky.

Matt
10-11-2011, 06:14 PM

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/10/2680484286_0fe9424811_o1-1.jpg

hoaxci5
10-11-2011, 06:38 PM
What Matt posted.

I'd like to see a winch bumper that doesn't look funny without a winch. So some kind of bolt on/removable cover to make it look normal with or without a winch in place.
Shackle mounts, and modular grill/light guards and lots of light mounting locations/options.

LWM
10-11-2011, 07:17 PM
I like the maniac Bumper too and am struggling with the interior winch design.

Do most of you prefer the interior winch or exposed like on my XK?

DetroitMarauder
10-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Something that can stand up to a deer strike and not cripple the vehicle. Haven't hit one yet but its been mighty close a few times.

hoaxci5
10-11-2011, 07:34 PM
I think it would help keep it smaller if it were interior.

Sal-XK
10-11-2011, 07:34 PM
I like the hidden one for lots of reasons but looks is more important over all.

AJeepZJ
10-11-2011, 07:40 PM

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/10/2680484286_0fe9424811_o1-1.jpg

*mouth water*

What Sal said and what Matt showed. What would be important to me... is utility and practicality. It's great if it has accessory lighting, front hitch receiver, winch location, shashackles and great improved approach angles... to me, this is like trying to win the lottery.

If I were CONTINUING to mod my WK... I'd care MORE about (in order of importance to me)

Craftsmanship ( and appearance) - Is it built well? Is the structural integrity flawless? You can put as much as you want to in the bumper but if it looks like a lot of the bumpers I see out here, I'll just move on. It needs to be strong, it needs to lock good. Both are pretty self explanatory.

Recovery: I think if the above is met, we can move on to recovery (this includes winch and/or front tow hitch) What is more feasible to incorporate without jeopardizing the overall goal of this bumper.

Weight and Approach angle: I think if the above two are answered well we can move on to this one. It's got sound recovery and excellent craftsmanship. How much does it weigh. Does it make my front sag? Are the advantages of the above two worth this Sag? Or can we find ways to conserve craftsmanship and utility and still reduce weight?

price: I imagine if the above 3 are met with flying colors this category will fly out of the roof.. which leads me to my FINAL point.

customization: How easily can I customize my bumper. I care about craftsmanship but I have other mechanisms for Recovery, which reduces weight and also improves my approach angle. Can You work with this type of request. Despite a narrow market, how flexible can this product be across the board.

Those are my opinions.

EvilJager
10-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Easy install
Ground clearance
Fog lights
Offroad light mounts
Shakles
winch
good approach angle
Machine gun mounts ( for those who wont get ouy of my way)

Matt
10-12-2011, 02:24 AM
I like the interior winch because it looks cleaner.

you could make it a bit more versatile and make it an interior winch/storage compartment. For those not running a winch it can be used to haul off-road tools, straps, etc. So you wouldn't have to make 2 separate bumpers....

Sal-XK
10-12-2011, 03:44 AM

you could make it a bit more versatile and make it an interior winch/storage compartment. For those not running a winch it can be used to haul off-road tools, straps, etc. So you wouldn't have to make 2 separate bumpers....

That's a great idea even if you're going to buy a winch but don't have one yet that would be a great place to store straps and stuff I like that idea.. Weight is a concern but not a big one. The only way to save weight IMO is to either skimp on the strength using thinner steal or making the bumper smaller or ballooning the cost by using expensive but light weight metals. I personally don't want my bumper price being doubled to save 60LBS or so I'll just deal with weight by upgrading the suspension.

LWM
10-12-2011, 04:31 AM
I think it would help keep it smaller if it were interior.

I like the hidden one for lots of reasons but looks is more important over all.

As stated, I like the Maniac bumper and it does have an interior winch, the issue would be that you would need to install the winch in the bumper prior to installing the bumper on your vehicle. I do not see a way to use the space for storage as it would not be easy to access your tools once the bumper is installed.

pjmjr508
10-12-2011, 04:36 AM

I like this one as well

LWM
10-12-2011, 04:37 AM
*mouth water*

What Sal said and what Matt showed. What would be important to me... is utility and practicality. It's great if it has accessory lighting, front hitch receiver, winch location, shashackles and great improved approach angles... to me, this is like trying to win the lottery.

If I were CONTINUING to mod my WK... I'd care MORE about (in order of importance to me)

Craftsmanship ( and appearance) - Is it built well? Is the structural integrity flawless? You can put as much as you want to in the bumper but if it looks like a lot of the bumpers I see out here, I'll just move on. It needs to be strong, it needs to lock good. Both are pretty self explanatory.

Recovery: I think if the above is met, we can move on to recovery (this includes winch and/or front tow hitch) What is more feasible to incorporate without jeopardizing the overall goal of this bumper.

Weight and Approach angle: I think if the above two are answered well we can move on to this one. It's got sound recovery and excellent craftsmanship. How much does it weigh. Does it make my front sag? Are the advantages of the above two worth this Sag? Or can we find ways to conserve craftsmanship and utility and still reduce weight?

price: I imagine if the above 3 are met with flying colors this category will fly out of the roof.. which leads me to my FINAL point.

customization: How easily can I customize my bumper. I care about craftsmanship but I have other mechanisms for Recovery, which reduces weight and also improves my approach angle. Can You work with this type of request. Despite a narrow market, how flexible can this product be across the board.

Those are my opinions.

All very valid points.

Craftsmanship would of a very high quality, I have no intention of starting a business with low quality stuff and closing shop on my first products.

Recovery: I plan to include at least two recovery points.

Weight and Approach angle: I have a steel bumper with a winch on my XK, I can tell you that I did not experience any sag when I added the additional weight. I do plan to sell spacers that could be purchased if needed.

price: I need to make money to pull this off but I can assure you I will have the BEST bumper at the BEST price possible.

customization: Some customization can be done, it would all depend on what the purchaser was willing to pay.

Matt
10-12-2011, 04:48 AM
I do not see a way to use the space for storage as it would not be easy to access your tools once the bumper is installed.

We're not saying to copy the maniac bumper exactly.... you can, IMO, easily improve upon the design to make the winch compartment accessible. A stainless steel hinge, a plate, a weather seal and a latch.... on top would probably be best.

Due to winch size you may still need to install it before installing the bumper. But the hatch will still allow access to the winch for service, or even for use if it doesn't have a remote wire.

Sal-XK
10-12-2011, 05:40 AM
That's what i was thinking an access door on top would be cool.

Matt
10-12-2011, 05:45 AM
I was also thinking that you could make different access doors to aid in winch clearance. So the standard could be a flat door... nice and low profile. But if someone want to run a larger winch than the compartment is designed for (height wise), they could buy a "high clearance door"... kind of like how a differential cover works. :)

Holaday07 4.7
10-12-2011, 05:48 AM
I like that bumper, everything designed so far seems really bulky. Most important thing for myself is clearance, tow points, and looks. Cant wait to see the finished product.

LWM
10-12-2011, 06:25 AM
We're not saying to copy the maniac bumper exactly.... you can, IMO, easily improve upon the design to make the winch compartment accessible. A stainless steel hinge, a plate, a weather seal and a latch.... on top would probably be best.

Due to winch size you may still need to install it before installing the bumper. But the hatch will still allow access to the winch for service, or even for use if it doesn't have a remote wire.

That's what i was thinking an access door on top would be cool.

I follow you, great idea!

I was also thinking that you could make different access doors to aid in winch clearance. So the standard could be a flat door... nice and low profile. But if someone want to run a larger winch than the compartment is designed for (height wise), they could buy a "high clearance door"... kind of like how a differential cover works. :)

So you are suggesting the bumper would come stock with the "low profile" cover, and an optional "high profile" cover would be available to purchase later if needed?

Matt
10-12-2011, 06:36 AM
exactly. I'm not sure how the dimensions will work out.... but the winch compartment (storage compartment) could be designed to fit most standard winch sizes to keep the bumper as small and low profile as possible. in the standard configuration it would come with the low profile door and possibly a template for cutting the winch fairlead hole (for those installing a winch).

Then, for guys who want the biggest winch on the market or something like the powerplant, they can order an optional "high clearance" hatch.

This way the bumper is as versatile as possible... its not overly bulky for guys who don't want a winch, it offers something other bumpers don't (storage compartment and/or covered winch), and as a manufacturer you wont have to make 3 different bumper configurations to please everyone.

ill work up my consulting fee estimate And send you the bill. lol. :)

CmmdrDan
10-12-2011, 08:21 AM
I may get shunned for this..But no winch..I like the one matt posted but I would never truly need the winch..Just have to make sure I know someone who does..

AJeepZJ
10-12-2011, 08:55 AM
I may get shunned for this..But no winch..I like the one matt posted but I would never truly need the winch..Just have to make sure I know someone who does..

Shunned? no. Chastized? Yes! Once upon a time, there was a 2" bb lifted XK, with 27" stock tires that needed to be winched, not once... but twice.. Everyone needs a winch.

LWM
10-12-2011, 10:11 AM

So here is the question for you... And this does not require a commitment to buy but, would you be interested in a metal replacement bumper with two recovery points and nothing else? Or are you thinking something else? I just want some clarification because options like no winch are do-able without much redesign (more design means more expense).

I can build a simple bumper and it would like like the winch bumper but I am wondering if anyone would buy one if I built it.

CmmdrDan
10-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Yes, if I had the funds and was "allowed" to buy..yes I said allowed..then I would want just a standard (I think as close maybe a little beefier looking than stock) steel bumper.

Matt
10-12-2011, 10:27 AM
for a standard bumper I would want to see a 2" receiver option. actually.... even with the compartment I mentioned it would still be nice to have a 2" receiver. .... have the ability to winch from front or rear, carry hitch hauler on front, etc.

LWM
10-12-2011, 10:42 AM
for a standard bumper I would want to see a 2" receiver option. actually.... even with the compartment I mentioned it would still be nice to have a 2" receiver. .... have the ability to winch from front or rear, carry hitch hauler on front, etc.

Well you have painted a very good photo in my mind, I don't want to say too much here because I know the compitition reads our GREAT fourm, but this bumper will be worth the wait.

Matt
10-12-2011, 10:46 AM
cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

cico7
10-12-2011, 01:18 PM
My dream bumper would be front and rear hidden winches that included the swing out
tire carrier on the back, just like the one Swtoffroading is making!

Holaday07 4.7
10-12-2011, 02:24 PM
My preference is something like this:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-bumpers/hanson-offroad/rock-crawler-cherokee-xj.htm

I want something that is light durable, and improves the clearance. I dont know if this would work or not, but you can add a winch later with these, and they are really simple.

Sal-XK
10-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Most people who are going to purchase a steel bumper are going to be people who off road and probably off road a lot and beat the snot out of there jeeps. It has to be strong but not to big and can't take away any ground clearance or approach angles and in fact it should improve those two things. It needs to be strong enough to push it up a rock face because well, that's what I would do with it and judging by what I've seen on here I'm not the only one who will do something like that. I think a lot of great ideas have been given out except Dan maybe not so much LMAO. The box idea is kinda unique I think it would be cool. I think the fare lead needs to be cut out already and maybe just a square plate bolted in place to cover it up. Having it modular like that and what Matt suggested gives people options and we can just use the storage box to hold recovery gear or put a winch in there. I want a stinger but really it don't need to be sold with one that's a pretty simple thing I can add later when I want and would keep the cost of the bumper down.

EvilJager
10-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Yea i had to send dan a txt about that... he said it eould be to much weight and thay id have one...hahaha

Sal-XK
11-06-2011, 03:02 PM
This really isn't and idea for a front bumper but more for a rear bumper. I just read a thread where the steel rear bumper was a water tank :) It had a 12v pump for pumping out the water. Not sure how much water it holds but it was a pretty cool idea. Not sure how new this idea is but it is new to me anyway and I liked it a lot :)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/IMG_3502-1.jpg

hoaxci5
11-06-2011, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't want water in a tank I couldn't clean pretty easily.. so instead use it as a air tank :p

Sal-XK
11-06-2011, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't want water in a tank I couldn't clean pretty easily.. so instead use it as a air tank :p

I guess that's all relative to the person drinking the water. The water coming out of your faucet spends time in lots of tanks that never get cleaned out. Any water tank for potable water I wanted to clean would be done with chemicals anyway. My camel backs never get scrubbed or clean nor does my hot water tank for that matter. I'm not sure I would use the water in the bumper as drinking water. But for cleaning, bathing and cooking water I would have no issues with it at all. The biggest draw back would be the heat but use that to your advantage and have a hot shower :)

Matt
11-06-2011, 05:04 PM
I've seen people use their bumpers as OBA tanks before.

Sal-XK
11-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I've seen people use their bumpers as OBA tanks before.

I'm guessing if it can hold water holding air should be no big deal. Just a matter of different connections I guess.

Holaday07 4.7
11-06-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm guessing if it can hold water holding air should be no big deal. Just a matter of different connections I guess.

Fairly comon indeed, if i ws bringing extra drinking water I would have shower water in the tanks on the roof to get warm, and drinking water in the Jeep to keep Cool.

Sal-XK
11-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Fairly comon indeed, if i ws bringing extra drinking water I would have shower water in the tanks on the roof to get warm, and drinking water in the Jeep to keep Cool.

I spend a lot of time living in my XK from wheeling to trips to camping on the beach and having a water source even just to cook and clean with that didn't eat cargo space would be awesome indeed.

Steel Armadillo
11-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks to Jacob we started on the new front bumper(s) today. Had a long brain storming session and came up with some very cool ideas that should start to take shape over the next couple of day.