PDA

View Full Version : CODE RED!! Mall chic magnet is DOWN!!!!!

IamJEEP
10-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Yep, its true.......the Commander is at the dealer this morning. Last night I went to start her up to go home. I turn the key and all i hear is a snapping sound lke a dead short, then all electricals go dead. I checked all fuses and they are fine including yhe spares under the hood (did not realize they were spares till i looked closer, lol). So now when they key is inserted in the ignition....all the dash lights rapidly turn on and off continueously(sp?) And nothing electrical works. Alltho, you can here the relays going crazy under the dash.

Waiting on the bad news from the dealer, we might have to put her down....

Matt
10-13-2011, 09:01 AM
don't sweat it... loose connection or bad ground at the PCM or something stupid like that. gotta stop crawling over those curbs!

ItsMeKO3
10-13-2011, 09:49 AM
gotta stop crawling over those curbs!

^^Hahaha

Sorry to hear that man. Hope its nothing to serious.

IamJEEP
10-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Hey, I can out-curb-crawl any of you guys!

Hope its what Matt said.

Matt
10-13-2011, 10:05 AM
just reread your post..... my money is on ignition switch shorting out. much more likely to happen and could result the the random flashing/clicking in the dash...

IamJEEP
10-13-2011, 10:15 AM
That was my first thought, because I can make the dash lights dance by wiggling the key in the ignition switch. I'll capl later to wake them up and see what they found.

IamJEEP
10-13-2011, 03:14 PM
UPDATE.........

Well, it turns out that the cells have shorted out on the battery. I was getting a voltage reading at the terminals of 13.5V but when a load is put on it, it shorts out and makes all the electrical act weird. They said they checked everythng out and seems ok, but Im keeping the reciept just in case. Also, while it is there, I am having them fix the passenger rear door handle that someone broke (and didn't man up) under warranty. Unfortunately I have to pay for the diagnostics for he electrical issue 'cause it is not warranty related. I get it back tomorrow.

Matt
10-13-2011, 04:57 PM
strangest.......battery.......failure..........eve r

XK N00b
10-13-2011, 05:27 PM
At least it was something minor

Matt
10-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I think his XK tried to commit suicide... figured it'd see more offroad sitting at the dump rather than the mall parking lot

cico7
10-13-2011, 06:17 PM
No surprise. That's how batteries act. There was a discussion on the other forum, and Robby helped out.
New batteries do not test the way old batteries did.

Holaday07 4.7
10-14-2011, 04:15 AM
I think his XK tried to commit suicide... figured it'd see more offroad sitting at the dump rather than the mall parking lot

Oh ****, them fighting words where I come from, lol

superacerc
10-14-2011, 05:00 AM
strangest.......battery.......failure..........eve r

Just had the same thing happen to my motorcycle. Battery tested at 13volts so it seemed fine but wouldn't start my bike. It was only about a 5 month old battery so I got it replaced under warranty. Batteries plus tested it and said the cells shorted out.

Matt
10-14-2011, 05:24 AM
batteries testing good but being bad is nothing new.... its the strange flickering and noises he was getting that is strange.

IamJEEP
10-14-2011, 05:25 AM

I'm going to go cry now.

IamJEEP
10-14-2011, 05:28 AM
batteries testing good but being bad is nothing new.... its the strange flickering and noises he was getting that is strange.

This is what threw me off, you could clearly hear all or most of the relays under/behind the dash chattering away. I could of sworn it was the ignition switch causing this, but I guess I was wrong.

Matt
10-14-2011, 05:31 AM
I'm going to go cry now.

:)

AJeepZJ
10-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah - My battery did something like that last summer in the middle of a city (that I'd never been in). I had no tools with me or anything to check the battery. It sucked to have to pay 80 bucks to get towed, and another 250 for the battery.

Sal-XK
10-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I think his XK tried to commit suicide... figured it'd see more offroad sitting at the dump rather than the mall parking lotLMAO