PDA

View Full Version : Hitch With D Shackle or Rear Tow Hook?

ItsMeKO3
10-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Well I've finally gotten around to getting some recovery points for my Jeep. I'm going to order my front tow hooks tonight, but I can't decide if I should just get the rear tow hook tonight as well, or if I should wait and save some more $$$ to buy the hitch and use the D shackle in that? I don't do a lot of wheeling, but would like to have them, especially for the winters up this way. I don't desperately need the hitch, but I would probably use it to tow my bro in laws boat, and his snowmobiles at times. I can't decide which route to go, so I'm just looking for some input. Thanks guys.

Matt
10-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Id go with the hitch...

1) multiple uses: towing, hook point,accessories (bike rack, hitch hauler, etc)
2) stronger than a tow hook
3) adds rear support (accidents or coming down off a ledge)
4) more "central" recovery point is better than offset tow hook for both being recovered or pulling someone else.

Matt
10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
also, with the hitch you really don't need a D shackle.... I just put the loop of the recovery strap into the hitch and secure it with a hitch pin. I Cary D shackles anyway.... if I need to loop the recovery strap back to my hitch I just D ring it to one of the trailer chain hook loops.

ItsMeKO3
10-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks Matt, those are all good points. I'm leaning towards the hitch. My problem now is going to be saving my $ for it. :p I plan on buying online in pieces, instead of ordering from the dealer. They wanted 360$. I think I can find it cheaper. All I need is the hitch, the bezel kit, and the wiring kit correct? And would it be better to order the 7 way harness and use a 7 to 4 way adapter if need be? Rather than have the 4 way harness and not be able to use a 7 way trailer? Sorry if this doesn't make sense lol

Matt
10-13-2011, 12:04 PM
the 7 way harness will give you more options..... but honestly, I've towed a lot of trailers (boat, landscape, utility, etc) and every one has been 4-pin... so its a judgement call on your part.

ItsMeKO3
10-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Haha alright. From what I've seen the 7 way is a bit cheaper. Have to decide when the time comes. Thanks Matt

Matt
10-13-2011, 12:13 PM
did that $360 from the dealer include the bezel and harness???

at jparts.com
hitch =$110
bezel =$65
harness =$85
.... so $260+ shipping ain't bad...

ItsMeKO3
10-13-2011, 12:16 PM
That about what I've priced it at. $260-$280ish +shipping. But yea that price from the dealer included everything.

pjmjr508
10-13-2011, 01:45 PM
on the dealer installed option it comes with both circle 7 & flat 4. Just an FYI

Sal-XK
10-13-2011, 03:03 PM
I agree with Matt get the hitch it's just worth it.