PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Tube?

AJeepZJ
10-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Hey guys, I parked the ZJ and took a look underneath and I saw something hanging from the front end. When I went to further look at it. It appeared to be a black rubber tube that extended from the front differential. I'm not sure what the purpose of this tube is or what it does. Is this a breather tube? Or does the other end of this actually connect to something. There was nothing dripping from it.

Matt
10-13-2011, 10:17 AM
that would be the breather tube. it should have a plastic shield on the end.... it Probably just fell off. run it up into the engine compartment with some zip ties. leave enough slack for travel.

AJeepZJ
10-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Someone is saying that it's supposed to go on the side of the stock airbox inlet... I will have to check that out - I thought it was a breather tube myself. I just wasn't aware they made them so long, lol.

Matt
10-13-2011, 10:43 AM
yeah they're generally pretty long so they get to a well protected area.

Holaday07 4.7
10-13-2011, 11:19 AM
A lot of guys around here figure out a way to run them into the passenger compartment. Daystar also makes a fiting to waterproof it if you take it through the firewall.

AJeepZJ
10-14-2011, 10:51 AM
A lot of guys around here figure out a way to run them into the passenger compartment. Daystar also makes a fiting to waterproof it if you take it through the firewall.

Thats very interesting. I just temporarily routed it to the Air Intake and zip tied it to another tube allowing enough room for flex and such. There's no inlet for it. I have a good idea of when I probably came loose too.

Holaday07 4.7
10-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Thats very interesting. I just temporarily routed it to the Air Intake and zip tied it to another tube allowing enough room for flex and such. There's no inlet for it. I have a good idea of when I probably came loose too.

Depends on the wheeling you are doing I guess. Any chance to keep water and oil as far appart as possible I am all for. I copied a pic of some home brewed tube fenders for you, I will dig up the pic when I get home tonight.

AJeepZJ
10-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Depends on the wheeling you are doing I guess. Any chance to keep water and oil as far appart as possible I am all for. I copied a pic of some home brewed tube fenders for you, I will dig up the pic when I get home tonight.

Yeah there's no water where this thing is located. But yeah, it would be very easy to route this into the cabin. definitely need a longer tube. Only thing I don't like is this engine gets pretty warm. So i'm not sure how comfortable I am routing a rubber tube around that engine bay. I'm going to check out the stock equipment setup for the Air intake to see if it truly hooks up here. Anyway, Unless I go jump into a 3ft pond, breather tube should be fine. I don't do mud anymore. Well, I try not to anyway.

I will also take a few pics for this as well tomorrow. Got nothing but time before the football games.