PDA

View Full Version : Off Road Light Wiring... HELP???

ItsMeKO3
10-16-2011, 07:26 AM
So I'm thinking about picking up some Hella 500ff's and install them behind the grill like a few guys have done. I think I'll be able to mount them successfully, by using a piece of steel mounted to the radiator support, and then mount the lights to the steel plate. My next problem will be wiring. I've never done any wiring and basically, I have no idea what I need to do. I've looked at a few wiring diagrams, but they don't mean much to me lol. Just looking for some basic 101 info, so I have some idea how to hooks these things up when I order them. Thanks guys.

P.S. Anyone want to make a trip waaaaaayyyyy up to northern NY to do it for me? :)

ItsMeKO3
10-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Not sure if you need to know but I want to wire the lights to a rocker switch in the cab, I don't want to run them off my headlights or anything like that.

LWM
10-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Most light kits will have everything you need, but if you are buying separately you will need the lights, wire, switch AND a resister.

ItsMeKO3
10-16-2011, 08:51 AM
This is the KIT (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TWD5GY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER) I'm going to order. It comes with:

2 12V/55W halogen driving beam lamps
2 white protective stone shields with Hella logo
2 H3 12V/55W bulbs
1 complete plug and play wiring harness
1 illuminated switch
1 relay
Universal mounting hardware
Step-by-step mounting instructions

Will I need anything else?

Matt
10-16-2011, 09:31 AM
looks like that kit will have everything you need. Most important factor is making sure you're running the lights off of the relay and you're using the switch to activate the relay. The instructions should spell it out pretty good.

superacerc
10-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Don't know if you have the stock fogs installed or not. If you don't have them you can borrow the stock fog light wiring that is sitting under the bumper and lengthen it a little bit. Then find the fuse/relay set that services that wiring and run your own switch so you won't have to spend the extra on the steering column stalk/getting it activated/only being available with the rest of the lights on. That's probably what i'd do. What's for sure is if you start wiring it and run into problems give the forum guys a shout and we'll walk you through it. I just put the 500FFs on mine love em but want to add 2 regular 500 driving to the outside as well.

ItsMeKO3
10-16-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't have the stock fogs installed at the moment, but I have them sitting here in my living room. I'm installing those, front tow hooks, and hopefully the Hella's next weekend. Just nervous about trying to wire up the Hellas lol.

ItsMeKO3
10-17-2011, 06:52 AM
Does this diagram seem correct? I've seen some that have a 30amp inline fuse between the relay and the battery I believe? Will I need that also?

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=962&d=1318859400

Sal-XK
10-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Fuses never really hurt you can throw one in if you want it won't effect anything can only help if something goes wrong or gets shorted for any reason.

Matt
10-17-2011, 07:16 AM
You definitely want a fuse between the battery and relay. Also I always throw a small fusible link with a fast burn 10amp fuse between the switch And its power source... especially if you're running it off an accessory wire under the dash.

ItsMeKO3
10-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Ok I'll have to pick up an inline fuse before I start the wiring. I've read the instructions from Hella, and they have you wire the lights to the high beam. Instead of using the high beam can I just tap into the parking lights using the wire they want to be used to tie into the highs? This way the aux lights can be run on their own switch, but only when the parking lights are on? I want to do this just in case I leave them on, they'll be turned off with my headlights. Sorry for all the questions guys, I just want to have a good idea of what I'm doing before I try to tackle this.

Matt
10-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Normally you want to be able to control the lights independently for all of your factory lights since there are circumstances that you wont Want them on...

The best way, IMO, to prevent accidentally leaving them on is to power the switch via an accessory wire leading to the steering column. That way the switch can't get power when the ignition is off.

Three things to consider though;
1) warranty. Tapping into the OEM harness has its obvious concerns if you're still under warranty, should you have any electrical issues directly related to that harness.

2) I would put a fuse there so you don't blow the entire circuits fuse is something shorts. (Hence a 10amp quick burn fuse).

3) I wire my switches from a constant 12v source. I don't like the idea of leaving my keys in the ignition while I'm using the lights and I'm not in the Jeep (say helping someone on the side of the road at night.... then someone could hop in the Jeep And drive off while I'm changing someones tire...)

ItsMeKO3
10-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Here is another diagram I've found, this one seems to be the one I need to follow??

My question about this one is what is the white supply wire from the switch going to the "Hi Low Ign" going to? Is this the wire I need to tie into a 12v source? Some guys say they use the cigarette lighter...?

ItsMeKO3
10-17-2011, 08:15 AM
^^ Read some more about that. By tapping into the cigarette lighter, you must have keys in the ignition to run the lights? Which is what you said you didn't like Matt because someone could steal your Jeep. So where should I tie into? Again, forgive me for all the questions, I really don't know much about wiring so I'm trying to get it right before I start.

Matt
10-17-2011, 08:20 AM
I think one of the cigarette lighters is constant 12v even when the car is off..... that would be the easiest one to use.

Matt
10-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Fyi That most recent diagram is the better one to use.

The white wire, input to the switch, is the one we're discussing now. The constant powered outlet would be the one id use so you don't have to leave keys in the ignition to use the lights. (Sorry I didn't think of that sooner... I'm not used to having a vehicle with a cig lighter that's always powered)

ItsMeKO3
10-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Alright, how can I tell which has the constant power? Just plug something like my gps into both with the jeep off and one will still have power?

Matt
10-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Yup. And I think the one with constant power has a battery symbol on the cover

ItsMeKO3
10-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Awesome. Thanks a ton Matt. Hopefully it will all go smoothly. If not, I'll be back here with some more questions lol.

Matt
10-17-2011, 08:51 AM
That's what we're here for. :)

pjmjr508
10-17-2011, 08:57 AM
on mine there is 2 connections for the cig lighter. The one on the drivers side is controlled via the key, the other one (passenger side) is a constant.

Hope this helps

ItsMeKO3
10-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks, looks like I'll be tapping into the one on the passenger side then... correct? Also, as far as the inline fuses, the diagram I'm going off shows 20 amp between the battery and relay, and a 3 amp between the switch and the 12v. Are these sufficient?

Matt
10-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Yeah those fuse sizes are good.

ItsMeKO3
10-17-2011, 11:19 AM
This may be a dumb question but I just want to be safe. By tapping into the cigarette lighter that has the constant power to it, I'll be able to run my lights without the keys in the ignition? So if I happen to forget to turn them off, they will just stay on, and not turn off with the Jeep correct? Now since they are connected to a constant source, even with them off, will there be a drain on the battery?

Matt
10-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes, if you leave them on they will stay on. If you leave them on they will also drain the battery if the vehicle is not running. If they're off, they will not drain the battery. They only pull current when turned on.

DetroitMarauder
10-17-2011, 01:56 PM
I am surprised yours didn't come with an in-line fuse. The lights I got from Westin had the grounds, relay, and in-line fuse ready to go. I just had to hook them to the lights, plug in the relay, hook it to the battery, ground it and plug in the switch.

I have a similar situation with wiring my driving lights as you. I've done everything except for wiring up the switch because I'm fabbing up a switch plate. The difference is the switch I am going to use has a blue LED ring around the button so I have to wire it to the cig lighter/power outlet on the left side or the switch will always be illuminated.

ItsMeKO3
10-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Maybe my set has the inline fuse...? It wasn't listed but it should be here wed. If not I'll just pick one up. The switch I'm going to use also has a small blue led. So if I wire my lights to the cig lighter that has the constant power, will the led always be on? Or only when the switch is in the on position?

Matt
10-17-2011, 02:46 PM
The LED will only be on when the switch is on (for almost ever switch ive seen/used anyways)

Sal-XK
10-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Thats what I have is switches with lights in them no way I can not notice there on. Also the situations you should be using your off road lights there should be no way you can't tell there running as well. I installed a second battery though so I wouldn't have to worry about things like that just a little peace of mind.

superacerc
10-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Just FYI, The Hella kit comes with 2 inline buses style fuse holders, and a 30A relay with mount pad already wired up. Also comes with a switch and some crimp lugs. Good luck.

Matt
10-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Wiring? Now this is wiring: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/847-Fit-4-9-quot-lights-on-4xGuard-Matrix!

:cool:

ItsMeKO3
10-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Well hopefully the kit will have everything I need.

Matt I remember seeing that thread on JF a while back. That is crazy. If I can't figure it out, looks like I might have to make a trip down to NJ lol

DetroitMarauder
10-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Maybe my set has the inline fuse...? It wasn't listed but it should be here wed. If not I'll just pick one up. The switch I'm going to use also has a small blue led. So if I wire my lights to the cig lighter that has the constant power, will the led always be on? Or only when the switch is in the on position?

Yeah, what Matt said. Because mine will have a blue ring around it while it is on or off is why I have to wire it to the different outlet which means I will need the key in to turn the lights on but I can't think of why I wouldn't have my keys on me while in my truck.

You'll know when you get it if it has the inline fuse or not. It is a pretty straight forward install so you shouldn't have much of a problem. Good luck and post pics when you're done.

ItsMeKO3
10-21-2011, 04:08 PM
So I was bored tonight and tried to get a little head start on hooking up my lights before tomorrow. I installed the switch where I wanted it to go, ran the ground for that, tapped into the cigarette lighter, and ran the wire back to the switch from that. Now a couple questions already lol. There were 2 wires going into the back of the cigarette lighter, one was like half red and half blue, and the other was black. I took a guess that the black was a ground...? And I tapped into the other blue/red wire. Was I right? Also, I know I haven't gotten very far yet, but just based on the couple steps I've done, and if I tapped into the correct wire from the lighter, will the switch light up when flipped on even tho the relay and lights aren't hooked up yet? I hope the answer is no... because it doesn't lol.

Matt
10-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Do you have a voltmeter? You made a good guess, but i always like to check. Worst case here though is you just don't get any power....

If you don't have a voltmeter or a test light, you can look at where the wires attach to the cigarette lighter. The very bottom is the hot (power) and the body is ground. You should be able to tell which wire is which.

As long as you have the switch wired up correctly and grounded, it will light up when you turn it on. But make sure the hot lead wire is capped.. you don't want that wire/lead grounded or you'll short it.

LWM
10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
But make sure the hot lead wire is capped.. you don't want that wire/lead grounded or you'll short it.

I did this by accident, the switch still works but the bulb in the switch is no longer functional, a replacement is not high on my list since the switch still works.

LWM
10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
But make sure the hot lead wire is capped.. you don't want that wire/lead grounded or you'll short it.

I did this by accident, the switch still works but the bulb in the switch is no longer functional, a replacement is not high on my list since the switch still works.

superacerc
10-21-2011, 07:20 PM
What about the third wire on the switch? There should be three posts on a switch with a light built in. Two of them are the routing for the power and the third is an accessory (which means the light) which needs an extra 12 volt source/ground depending on how you wire the switch. My switch inside is only a 12v wire that is interrupted by the switch. The relay connects directly to a ground under my hood and then my interior switch runs from a 12v source through the switch and out to the relay. so my switch doesn't actually have a ground attached to it.

Matt
10-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Every lighted 3 wire switch i've ever hooked up has had 3 posts:
1: Power Supply (12v)
2: Ground
3: Auxiliary Power (output)

The power supply is your 12V source. Ground is self explanatory. Aux power is the output to the relay.

ItsMeKO3
10-21-2011, 07:37 PM
My switch does have the third prong, which will go to the yellow wire on the Hella harness, which then plugs into the #86 plug on the relay... and I believe its the trigger..? I don't know much about wiring, but the way I have it set up so far, the light doesn't light up on the switch. Hopefully its because the relay and the rest isn't wired up? But I really have no clue lol.

ItsMeKO3
10-21-2011, 07:40 PM
and I meant to add that no I don't have a volt meter, but I assume they do at the shop where I'll be doing it tomorrow.

Matt
10-21-2011, 07:40 PM
it might actually need that third wire connected depending on how the switch is set up. I always thought they were two parallel circuits within the switch (hence the additional ground), but could be wrong..

ItsMeKO3
10-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Well I guess I'll find out tomorrow once I get the rest wired up lol. Hopefully it will work.

superacerc
10-22-2011, 03:46 AM
I rarely take the extra time to wire the light part of my switch. Depends on how much extra time it will take me to get an extra wire in there. Yeah i'm lazy.

ItsMeKO3
10-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Well it took me a while today but I got them all hooked up and sure enough, they lit up lol. Funny how that works. Thanks for all the help guys!! Only thing I'm going to do now is replace the stock bulbs with Silverstars to match the rest of my lights, they are a little more yellow than the rest. Here's a couple pics.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/10/DSC01789-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Sal-XK
10-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Good job man they look pretty cool in that spot

superacerc
10-23-2011, 04:15 AM
nice job!

Matt
10-23-2011, 05:30 AM
You'll have to snap some picture of exactly how you mounted them. They look great in there!!

Budasac
10-23-2011, 05:49 AM
I'm not normally a fan of behind the grill lights, but they look good with the mesh. Very nice.

AJeepZJ
10-23-2011, 05:55 AM
I don't think it looks Bad... but my main opposition to putting lights in there (of that size), especially during offroading, is the potential reduction of air flow into the engine. This is really important for the 3.7's that lack the trans cooler.

ItsMeKO3
10-23-2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks guys. So far I'm pretty happy. Went out a drove around a bit late last night. They throw some pretty good light. I'll try to get a few pics of the mounts today.

pjmjr508
10-24-2011, 05:24 AM
Looking great