PDA

View Full Version : Rust Removal

Holaday07 4.7
11-01-2011, 07:37 AM
I recently purchased a set of 4xg sliders that a member had used pretty hard. There is a fair amount of surface rust from the Chicago winter. I am planing on stripping these down and doing a primer and a few coats of tectured spray paint. What would you guys use to strip all paint, rust, and just get it down to bare metal. I was thinking a rough wire grinding wheel? Thanks for any advice on these, it should be a fun project this winter.

CmmdrDan
11-01-2011, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't do the wire wheel. Get a chemical stripper and some fine sandpaper.then prime and paint. Acetone it done after stripping and sanding to make sure everything is removed!

superacerc
11-01-2011, 08:48 AM
My preferred method is to use a side grinder with the Steel wool buffing pads that velcro on. Talk about quick and easy.

Holaday07 4.7
11-01-2011, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't do the wire wheel. Get a chemical stripper and some fine sandpaper.then prime and paint. Acetone it done after stripping and sanding to make sure everything is removed!

Any reason not to use the wire wheel. It would be soooo much faster I would think.

Holaday07 4.7
11-01-2011, 10:58 AM
My preferred method is to use a side grinder with the Steel wool buffing pads that velcro on. Talk about quick and easy.

Cool I will try and find a grinder to borrow.

NeilSmith
11-01-2011, 11:18 AM
have em sandblasted

Chapman89
11-01-2011, 12:16 PM
have em sandblasted

This is the easiest solution!

Sal-XK
11-01-2011, 12:22 PM
have em sandblasted

You'll be happy with the results for sure getting them sand blasted if not hit them with the grinder your not going to chemically strip the rust on those rails man.

Holaday07 4.7
11-01-2011, 01:36 PM
The only shop where I can get the sand blasting done for free, has too small of a booth. I didnt pay enough to put a bunch of money into them, or I would have just got new ones. I am just going to use a grinder. Ill take pics as I go along, and feel free to add any advice.

Sal-XK
11-01-2011, 02:01 PM
The grinder will be just fine just keep at it. Mineral spirits or acetone is fine for wiping them down before priming. Take your time and be patient is the best advice I can give you. Use a good primer and a few good coats of it as well.

Holaday07 4.7
11-01-2011, 02:44 PM
The grinder will be just fine just keep at it. Mineral spirits or acetone is fine for wiping them down before priming. Take your time and be patient is the best advice I can give you. Use a good primer and a few good coats of it as well.

Thanks man, much appreciated.

superacerc
11-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Wire wheels will wear you out with the amount of force needed to press on it. It will also not take every little bit off. The Steel wool pads on a grinder will make it shine like a mirror the moment you touch down on it.

Once it's mirror shiny, use the mineral spirits and a lint free rag to wipe it clean just before you prime it. Once the primer has set well start coating it with the rubber coat or paint of your choice.