PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Motor cutting out at speed.

CT-riverrat
11-05-2011, 07:35 PM
I was coming home from my nephews hockey game, doing about 70mph, and the motor just quit. I've had it to the dealer once because it did this before, as I was coming to a stop sign. But this was while cruising at highway speed. After pulling over, and putting vehicle into park, turning key to the off position, it started back up, and no further trouble the rest of the trip home. It will be going back to the dealer on Monday. I just was wondering if anyone else had this problem? Thanks Matt

Sal-XK
11-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I remember reading some similar issues on the other forum. I can't remember if anyone ever posted back with a fix or what the problem ever was.

CT-riverrat
11-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Well I hope someone knows the cause. Going through Hartford CT at the intersection of I91 & I84, and stalling out is a scary experience!:confused:

Matt
11-06-2011, 05:06 AM
That's a weird one... and no codes?

It seems like these vehicles have ignition switch issues, I wonder if yours is on the way out.

CT-riverrat
11-06-2011, 05:31 AM
I don't have a code reader. My neighbor does, I'm going to see if I can borrow it today.

Matt
11-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Make sure you look for "pending codes" as well. If your check engine light isn't on it doesn't mean there aren't any codes. The system stores codes until certain parameters are met, then either discards them if the condition doesn't repeat or makes them a hard code and turns on the check engine light.

Depending on how many times you've driven the vehicle since the incident, the code may have been discarded already.

It's always good to have a basic like this : Actron C9550 (http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9550-Pocket-Scan-Reader/dp/B003IOITIK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1320583099&sr=8-6)
Or something even easier on the wallet: Autel (http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-OBD-II-Scan/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320583099&sr=8-1)

CT-riverrat
11-06-2011, 07:46 AM
I only drove it home since the incident, about 10 miles. Hopefully it will still be there.

superacerc
11-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Sounds like the ignition issue people were having for a while. I think they were mostly 06 models though. If they wiggled the key around it would shut off sometimes which meant that while driving and the key moved the engine would die. Seemed like it was just a faulty ignition problem.

hinchcliffe
11-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Had a similar issue. I read the codes and it was mostly coming with a Thottle Position issue then codes for all sorts of stuff (manifold pressure, etc) all kind of related to the sampe issue. I searched and found others with same/similar problems. So I bought all the pieces (EGR, TPS, Ignition switch, maifold pressure switch) I started by replacing the TPS and haven't had an issue since. I'm planning to replace all the other components soon just haven't taken the time to do it yet. I also had an idling issue at the same time, hence my thought to start at the TPS.

brendon
11-07-2011, 06:59 PM
I have had this happen on the freeway a few times, as well as coming up to a stop. It's usually after cruising with the cruise control on and then disengaging it. The only codes I ever got were related to the MAP sensor - replaced it - has stalled a couple times since. Seems to happen more when it's cold but over the last for years it has happened maybe a dozen times total. A couple times it restarted itself, others I have had to manually do it. At speed on the freeway you can throw it in neutral and turn the key without having to pull over (assuming it then restarts...). I tried the jiggle-the-key thing to make it happen (if it's a bad switch) and that is not my problem.

I too am considering the TPS and EGR sensors.

hoaxci5
11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
I have had this happen on the freeway a few times, as well as coming up to a stop. It's usually after cruising with the cruise control on and then disengaging it. The only codes I ever got were related to the MAP sensor - replaced it - has stalled a couple times since.

This happened to me but to the extreme. Pretty often while not on the gas it would stall. MAP sensor was the code but it wasn't the problem. Turned out I had 1 bad coil pack, not sure which one because it wasn't throwing the appropriate code, but since replacing all the coil packs the problem has stopped and it's been almost a year since the fix.