PDA

View Full Version : Rear Heater/AC Delete....

07JeepXK
11-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Finally after many years of talking about it, I've started the research on parts needed to do the Rear Heater/AC delete on the XK. I took out the third row seating a few years back and never use the Rear Heat/AC anyways. The reason im doing this is to delete the Heater/AC lines that run down the pinch weld area behind the passenger side front tire. This will be needed now that I'm going to start the process of a bigger lift along with bigger tires. As we all know, those four lines start to get in the way once you go with an over sized tire (larger then 32"). The last thing I want to do is ruin a set of brand new tires, or even worse, rip the lines right off of the XK. I just visited the dealer who priced the parts for me from an XK not equiped with rear Heat/AC. For the two heater hoses and two ac lines it will run me about $102. Labor will be free since ill be doing all the work and my buddy Jay can recharge the AC when its finished. The dealer doesnt have the heater hoses or ac lines in stock so they will have to be shipped from the warehouse. Ill be placing the order at the end of next week and once all the parts are in all do the install.

07JeepXK
11-17-2011, 05:58 AM
I ordered the parts on Tuesday after work and will do the install once they get in. If anyone else is interested in doing this swap ill post the part numbers needed. Total cost for parts was $112 which included a few seals for the A/C lines. I forgot to mention that once the A/C and Heater lines are out of the way my friend Jay is going to cut out the entire pinch weld area on both sides and relocate it approx. 2 inches back with sheet metal for more tire clearance. He did it on his 05 Grand Cherokee when we installed the 4 inch BDS lift and it turned out really nice.

Matt
11-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Interested in seeing this done. :)

Holaday07 4.7
11-17-2011, 06:55 AM
I ordered the parts on Tuesday after work and will do the install once they get in. If anyone else is interested in doing this swap ill post the part numbers needed. Total cost for parts was $112 which included a few seals for the A/C lines. I forgot to mention that once the A/C and Heater lines are out of the way my friend Jay is going to cut out the entire pinch weld area on both sides and relocate it approx. 2 inches back with sheet metal for more tire clearance. He did it on his 05 Grand Cherokee when we installed the 4 inch BDS lift and it turned out really nice.

This sounds awesome. I am looking forward to seeing the outcome of this.

07JeepXK
11-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I will make sure to take pictures during the entire process and keep this thread updated. I have to go away for the Army this weekend so it will probablly start Monday night.

Holaday07 4.7
11-20-2011, 05:44 PM
I wish there was a kit to relocate these, but deleting them is almost as good right? please document as much as possible, this is really needed imo

07JeepXK
11-20-2011, 06:47 PM
For me, deleting them is a good thing. I think I have only used the rear AC/Heat once in the past 4 years since Ive owned the XK and that was just to see how it worked. Again since I took out the third row seating there is no point in having rear ac/heat. The parts should be in tomorrow id imagine so once they get here ill start working on it. Should only take a few hours to do the swap. Then over to Jays when ever he gets time to do some cutting and welding!

07JeepXK
11-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Phase 1 is complete! Photo's later on today once I transfer them from my phone to the computer.

07JeepXK
11-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Out with the old!
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/012-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/019-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/014-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/022-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/016-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/017-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/018-1.jpg

In with the new!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/013-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/027-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/026-1.jpg

07JeepXK
11-27-2011, 01:58 PM
No more rear AC/Heat!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/023-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/025-1.jpg

superacerc
11-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Awesome! I wish i didn't foresee myself using my air pretty often. That's the only thing causing any rubbing when i turn my wheel to the right.

07JeepXK
11-28-2011, 04:50 AM
I never used my rear ac or heat. In the summer the inside of my XK stayed nice and cool with just the front ac on!

cico7
11-28-2011, 06:53 AM
I never used my rear ac or heat. In the summer the inside of my XK stayed nice and cool with just the front ac on!

Awesome! I wish i didn't foresee myself using my air pretty often. That's the only thing causing any rubbing when i turn my wheel to the right.

I think superacer is in sunny Texas.....correct? That could make a difference....

07JeepXK
11-28-2011, 07:40 AM
I see.... Well Im hoping to get a lot of work done on the jeep this weekend. Ill be kid free and have no other plans. If Jay if free ill have him fabricate my new pinch weld area! Hopefully he doesnt start my Jeep on fire like he did his...lol I still need to do the front bumper mod and paint my rockers before the snow starts falling. Its going to be a busy weekend!

superacerc
11-28-2011, 02:27 PM
That's correct. But only for 1.5 more years before I head somewhere cooler (i hope).

Matt
02-26-2012, 06:53 AM
I'll have to do this soon.... i guess it'll depend on if I do the superlift before my next set of tires or not; the width & backspace of my wheels really put those lines in jeopardy, so if i want to go with a bigger tire I'll need to get rid of them (or relocate them)

07JeepXK
02-28-2012, 12:13 PM
It's really easy to do and didn't take long at all. Im hoping to place an order soon on some 285/70R17 MT/R's with Kevlar. I just need to find some Rubicon Moab wheels.

ScorpionCrawler
05-21-2012, 07:24 AM
Hey 07, did you get your new AC lines from the dealer as a part # of a XK withour rear AC?
My ac stopped working and I found a leak in the line right above the heat shield, above the tail pipe.
What had happened is a bunch of cinders were packed around the line above the heat shield like concrete.
I think it ate right trough it or there was wear between the hose clamp on the heater line and the ac line.
I HATE CINDERS!! our township stopped using them but the neighboring communities still do.
It doesn't look like an easy repair to replace the lines front to back, too many twists and turns.
So I was thinking about just deleting the rear AC.
I was going to stop at the dealer on my way home today and see what they have to say.

07JeepXK
05-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Hey 07, did you get your new AC lines from the dealer as a part # of a XK withour rear AC?
My ac stopped working and I found a leak in the line right above the heat shield, above the tail pipe.
What had happened is a bunch of cinders were packed around the line above the heat shield like concrete.
I think it ate right trough it or there was wear between the hose clamp on the heater line and the ac line.
I HATE CINDERS!! our township stopped using them but the neighboring communities still do.
It doesn't look like an easy repair to replace the lines front to back, too many twists and turns.
So I was thinking about just deleting the rear AC.
I was going to stop at the dealer on my way home today and see what they have to say.

Yes. I went to the dealer and told them I needed all the heater/AC lines for a Commander without the 3rd row seating (no rear ac/heat).
At this point you need need to delete them. Trust me. A friends boss has the same XK as mine and her rear lines were leaking. Talk about a pain in the butt to replace. We had to totally unbolt the rear subframe that the rear track bar is bolted to so we could get the lines ran above it where they belong. Parts were over $300 for those lines plus you need to recharge the AC again. Just delete them bro and save yourself the hassle.

ScorpionCrawler
05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
It really does look impossible to do without kinking something. Didn't you have to drop the exhaust too?
I may try to braze the line, I can put my finger right on the leak.
If that doesn't work they are gone.

07JeepXK
05-21-2012, 12:49 PM
I cant remember if we had to mess with the exhaust. But I'm telling you right now...just delete those lines and save yourself a lot of time and $$$

Matt
05-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Mine are going bye bye when they leak.... or its time for new tires.... whichever comes first!

stites-xk
05-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Mine are going away when I modify my super lift and try to put some 34/12.50 on next summer

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

07JeepXK
05-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Try? I'm running a 2 inch OME lift and 33's right now. You will have no problem running 34's with the right set of wheels.......

stites-xk
05-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Try? I'm running a 2 inch OME lift and 33's right now. You will have no problem running 34's with the right set of wheels.......

What kind of wheels are you running?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ScorpionCrawler
05-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Picked up the lines today from the dealer.
#55116665AG $95.45 AND #55116909AD $26.7O
Hope to install tonight.

07JeepXK
05-24-2012, 08:44 PM
What kind of wheels are you running?

17x8 Black Rock Series 997 wheels with 4.5 inches of back spacing 0 offset.

Picked up the lines today from the dealer.
#55116665AG $95.45 AND #55116909AD $26.7O
Hope to install tonight.

Did you get both A/C lines and both Heater Lines?????

ScorpionCrawler
05-25-2012, 04:44 AM
[QUOTE Did you get both A/C lines and both Heater Lines?????[/QUOTE]

I'm going to leave the heat in... I do use that.

07JeepXK
05-29-2012, 07:20 AM
That makes sense. I totally forgot that you were having a problem with your A/C lines. I was thinking you were doing the delete for tire clearance like i did.

ScorpionCrawler
05-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Installed the lines last night, took about 1.5 hrs.
Most of the time was getting the heater lines off at the firewall.

07JeepXK
05-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Nice. So now you have front A/C and front/rear heat?

ScorpionCrawler
05-31-2012, 05:05 AM
Nice. So now you have front A/C and front/rear heat?

You got it, but... this mod is 1/2 way done, for when I buy some big bolognie tires.
If I ever trade it in or sell it I have to make sure it happens in the winter,LOL.

07JeepXK
05-31-2012, 06:19 AM
You got it, but... this mod is 1/2 way done, for when I buy some big bolognie tires.
If I ever trade it in or sell it I have to make sure it happens in the winter,LOL.

Well I completely deleted the rear heat/ac and in the winter I have no problem keeping the entire inside warm and now that its getting hot out the front A/C cools the entire inside. So I wouldnt be to worried about it. I took out my third row seating years ago so no one sits back there anyways. As far as people sitting in the second row, the center counsole has that vent in it for heat and ac.

Matt
05-31-2012, 06:27 AM
Just remember, not every XK came with the rear hvac option. I actually think its just a luxury that borderlines "gimmicky".... Maybe in extremely hot or extremely cold climates it will help expedite the climate control for rear occupants; but how often are people in the 3rd row.. and when they are, the basic system will still get the job done (especially if you have remote start!)

07JeepXK
05-31-2012, 06:31 AM
Just remember, not every XK came with the rear hvac option. I actually think its just a luxury that borderlines "gimmicky".... Maybe in extremely hot or extremely cold climates it will help expedite the climate control for rear occupants; but how often are people in the 3rd row.. and when they are, the basic system will still get the job done (especially if you have remote start!)

Exactly. Id rather run fat meats under my XK then worry about how comfortable the people are in the third row. lol Its not like there is a lot of leg room back there to begin with.

superacerc
06-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Down here in the misersble heat soaked texas I use the rear ac quite a bit. I dont use the third roww much but what i do is point the vents forward and up so it pushes air up front for the kids. When I got in my xk yesterday the tempgauge read 108. Wasn't that hot outside, but just sitting in the sun ya know. It was about 96. I can't wait to get stationed father north.

07JeepXK
06-03-2012, 07:24 PM
And that is why I live north of the Mason Dixon!

Sal-XK
06-03-2012, 07:34 PM
And that is why I live north of the Mason Dixon!

Leaving down here is worth dealing with the heat :D take a knee face out drink some water and you'll be good! Pains just weakness leaving you body :p

mrnavy2
07-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Can someone please tell me to remove the REAR ac vents? I need to replace 2 of them. Thanks Steve.

Matt
07-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Just checked my service manual and it didn't mention anything specific about them. Snap a few pics of the ones you bought... are there screw ports or does it look like they just snap in? I'm sure we can figure it out :D