PDA

View Full Version : Super Sliders

LWM
09-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Here are the first photos of The Steel Armadillo Super Sliders, I am considering making an optional dress plate that would fit between the slider and the door sill as well.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/Sliders10-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/Sliders9-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/Sliders8-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/Sliders6-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/Sliders5-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/Sliders1-1.jpg

A step plate can be added to the slider, it would be attached to the two center supports if desired.

pjmjr508
09-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Looks good.

Matt
09-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Nice!

Should take some more pictures showing what they look like underneath, at the front and rear interfaces with the fender flares, and with the doors open.

Sal-XK
09-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Looks good seeing how they mount would be nice.

sean112280
09-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Hey Jon how much are these going to be? I like them.

LWM
09-30-2011, 06:21 PM

I will be working up the cost on this item this week.

I have to pull them off my Jeep and have the manufacturer work up a jig and give me the production costs, I think I will be making three sets in the first run.

LWM
09-30-2011, 06:32 PM
As far as quality goes check out this comparison:

The first photo is a Rocky Road Super Slider

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/DSCI00611-1.jpg

This Second Photo is a Steel Armadillo Super Slider

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/DocsSliders011-1.jpg

AJeepZJ
09-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Looks pretty awesome

superacerc
10-01-2011, 06:02 AM
Does your model offer any better clearance than the rocky road super sliders? I was thinking about them but they actually are made to mount below the black plastic sills. It looks like your replace the sills and should offer more clearance.

LWM
10-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Does your model offer any better clearance than the rocky road super sliders? I was thinking about them but they actually are made to mount below the black plastic sills. It looks like your replace the sills and should offer more clearance.

Your observation is correct, I wish I had measured before I took my Rocky Road Sliders off but I did not, I think you pick up about 2" of clearance with the Steel Armadillo Slider over the Rocky Road.

This is the Rocky Road:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/02/DSCI0089-1.jpg

And this is the Steel Armadillo:

You can see from the photos that the Rocky Road mounts from way under to the frame and sits under the body (I really bent up my rocky road supports) where as the Steel Armadillo Slider attaches to the side and under carriage of the body instead of the long reach to the frame.

Remember that the purpose of Rock Sliders is to protect the body of the Jeep from trail damage. By mounting to the Jeep the way we do the slider will not cause damage to the Jeep as I experienced with the Rocky Road sliders which bent upward and crumpled my black plastic side trim.

You have to remove the side trim to install the Steel Armadillo Slider, but I am working to see if you can trim the plastic piece to reinstall if you wanted too.

Sal-XK
10-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Those are nice and the style I want but of course its the price that makes a big diff

superacerc
10-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the info. I liked the Rocky Road ones but not the loss of clearance. I don't have any plastic trim under there nor do I want it on so i'll most likely pick up a pair of the Armadillo ones once you get them into production.

LWM
10-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I liked the Rocky Road ones but not the loss of clearance. I don't have any plastic trim under there nor do I want it on so i'll most likely pick up a pair of the Armadillo ones once you get them into production.

I am sure you will be please, I am going to Spray paint where the plastic used to be to see what that looks like too.

Matt
10-02-2011, 05:03 AM
Jon,

I remember Doc mentioning making a step section separately for people who already have steel sliders to weld them on (like the 4xG). Is that going to be one of your products?

CmmdrDan
10-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Looking forward to pricing on these!
My next purchase will be a OME lift. But that is awhile movie down the road.

Matt
10-02-2011, 06:41 PM
I'd put a good set of sliders over the OME for your next purchase. you already have a lift... now you need some protection https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

CmmdrDan
10-02-2011, 07:26 PM
I want the lift cause my suspension is so soft and bouncy.

Matt
10-02-2011, 07:32 PM
those load levelers did wonders for that... the rear springs in these things are pretty soft

CmmdrDan
10-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Its more the front. The rear is ok unless I have 6 people in it.

LWM
10-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Jon,

I remember Doc mentioning making a step section separately for people who already have steel sliders to weld them on (like the 4xG). Is that going to be one of your products?

This is possible but the problem is that in order to make the steps I need the sliders for measurements. Anything can be made if there is a market for it.

LWM
10-05-2011, 04:04 PM

The good news I received today is that the second generation sliders will be a little nicer than the ones on my Commander and will come in somewhere around $400 to $450 plus shipping.

Sal-XK
10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
The good news I received today is that the second generation sliders will be a little nicer than the ones on my Commander and will come in somewhere around $400 to $450 plus shipping.

That's good news.

Edit: That's still good news

sean112280
10-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Awesome. Where in az do u live? We r coming through tombstone and through the grand canyon on our way out to WA.

DetroitMarauder
10-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I'd be interested in seeing what the dress plate looks like. I want the sliders to be functional obviously but this is my DD so I want it to be aesthetically nice too.

HueyPilotVN
10-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I know Jon. I also know that he does things the right way and will make these the way they should be made. We will be back home in AZ by next month and I will order both the tube flairs and the sliders with a flat step on top of them for Lee to use when getting into the Commander. I have tried to support other vendors on this and the other site and I certainly believe Jon deserves our support.

LWM
10-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Awesome. Where in az do u live? We r coming through tombstone and through the grand canyon on our way out to WA.

I work out of my house but we are basically in Phoenix. If you purchased these I am sure we could get them on while you were passing through.

LWM
10-05-2011, 07:17 PM
I'd be interested in seeing what the dress plate looks like. I want the sliders to be functional obviously but this is my DD so I want it to be aesthetically nice too.

Looks are important to me and the modification I spoke of should provide for a cleaner profile.

LWM
10-05-2011, 07:17 PM
I know Jon. I also know that he does things the right way and will make these the way they should be made. We will be back home in AZ by next month and I will order both the tube flairs and the sliders with a flat step on top of them for Lee to use when getting into the Commander. I have tried to support other vendors on this and the other site and I certainly believe Jon deserves our support.

Thanks for the kind words, looking forward to getting you back in the valley.

EvilJager
10-08-2011, 04:59 PM
They look awesome man.
any news in wk products yet?

I need fenders and front bumper ;)

LWM
10-08-2011, 06:03 PM
They look awesome man.
any news in wk products yet?

I need fenders and front bumper ;)

I need a WK in Phoenix to work off of, we have an XK the first of November so I hope to get a WK in quickly behind it.

EvilJager
10-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Im in md but on vacation this week. Pm me

Steel Armadillo
10-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Here is a shot of me welding on the newest version of the Rock Slider:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/10/RockSliderWelding-1.jpg

Notice the 2x4 steel foundation, this will be the toughest Rock Slider available for the Jeep Commander or Grand Cherokee.

El Cid
10-29-2011, 12:47 PM
That's a lot of heavy steel, for sure.

I for one am looking forward to more vital details about the design, though, since the "toughness" of an accessory comes from a lot more than just the amount of steel involved: Just as important, if not more so, are the mounting systems, stress distributions, and other engineering factors. After all, sticking a steel 2x4 on a Jeep, engineered incorrectly, can do an awful lot of unintentional damage to the vehicle.

That's not to say that yours will fall into that mis-engineered category, of course. It's just to say that, well, a number of us are looking forward to some of the more important details about this product.

Speaking of important details, "Steel Armadillo" = "Doc in AZ," not "Knappster"? I'm getting terribly confused about who is actually running this latest show, and whose products these are.

Steel Armadillo
10-29-2011, 01:25 PM
sticking a steel 2x4 on a Jeep, engineered incorrectly, can do an awful lot of unintentional damage to the vehicle.

I ran these at the last West Coast Camp Commander event and I can assure you the are rugged, stylish and properly designed to not damage the Commander

Speaking of important details, "Steel Armadillo" = "Doc in AZ," not "Knappster"? I'm getting terribly confused about who is actually running this latest show, and whose products these are.

The Steel Armadillo is a Company owned by Knappster, not Doc. Doc is the fabricator only and he builds SOME of the products for The Steel Armadillo (The Steel Armadillo owns the products/plans). Not sure how or why you are confused, we have stated several times who owns the company and that we have several business manufacturing our products for us.

Matt
10-29-2011, 01:32 PM
I was a bit confused too... because of the following quote:

Here is a shot of me welding on the newest version of the Rock Slider:

Isn't that Doc welding? And if that's Doc welding, then that'd Doc posting... and if Doc's posting under "Steel Armadillo", does that mean all of your fabricators will be able to post under the Steel Armadillo account?

Or.... Is that Jon welding....

El Cid
10-29-2011, 03:38 PM
You explained that better than I ever could, Matt. Well done.

Holaday07 4.7
10-29-2011, 04:23 PM
All good points/ If we didnt ask these questions I would be shocked. This is the most unique group of wheelers that I can think of. It is a huge investment, and a huge leap of faith to depend on an aftermarket product to defend our $30,000 Jeeps from damage. I am completly ignorant of Unibody frames, so these answers are really important. That is a lot of weight and leverage forced on that frame. How are these mounted?

LWM
10-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Isn't that Doc welding?

That is me (Jon) welding. I am taking a hands on approach because I want to know all about my products and learning some new skills at the same time.

LWM
10-29-2011, 04:36 PM
and if Doc's posting under "Steel Armadillo", does that mean all of your fabricators will be able to post under the Steel Armadillo account?

I set up a Steel Armadillo account because I want to be able to post in regular threads as me (Knappster) but if I post as a Representative/owner of The Steel Armadillo I want you to know I am speaking for the business. There will be times when I want to give my personal opinion on topics that have nothing to do with the business and that is what my personal (Knappster) account is for.

Steel Armadillo
10-29-2011, 04:49 PM
All good points/ If we didnt ask these questions I would be shocked. This is the most unique group of wheelers that I can think of. It is a huge investment, and a huge leap of faith to depend on an aftermarket product to defend our $30,000 Jeeps from damage. I am completly ignorant of Unibody frames, so these answers are really important. That is a lot of weight and leverage forced on that frame. How are these mounted?

As an owner of a $30,000 + Jeep I assure you these are very valid concerns and I believe they will be address to your satisfaction, I certainly would not run anything on my Jeep that I felt would cause damage. There are in my opinion two ways to attach the sliders, you can go up under to the frame (such as it is) like the Rocky Road Sliders (and others) or you can attach to the body (similar to the 4xGuard attachment to the pinch weld).

The uni-body is a unique design and brings with it certain concerns that have to be taken into consideration, The installation of the Steel Armadillo Rock Slider will require the installation of Nutcerts which have been used to install dozens of Jeep products like OEM fenders, Poison Spider sliders and even doors. We will provide all the instructions necessary to install these with tools you have in your tool box so you will not need to buy special tools (but they are out there if you have a tool loan program available to you).

To install this slider you will drill 6 holes in the bottom of the unibody and two others and then the slider will bolt on to those locations.The slider has brackets which are shaped to wrap the pinch weld and bring the slider up where it need to be to provide protection to the side panels as designed.

Feel free to ask questions, I want those who purchase this product to be completely satisfied with your purchase and I am certain you will be.

Holaday07 4.7
10-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Perfect! Thank you, I just didnt know, and for myself this is very improtant. I am just inquizative (sp?) on the setup, I dont want to cause damage if I drop te full weight on the slider.

LWM
10-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Perfect! Thank you, I just didnt know, and for myself this is very improtant. I am just inquizative (sp?) on the setup, I dont want to cause damage if I drop te full weight on the slider.

I had previously installed the Rocky Road sliders, I bent them up and actually bent the body under the plastic cover (didn't know until I removed the cover), These sliders run the whole length and will spread the impact the entire length of the slider which should prevent any damage to the body caused by rocks or the slider itself. Also because of the material used you will not run the risk of damage to the sliders decorative coverings (which there are none).

Matt
10-29-2011, 07:19 PM
That is me (Jon) welding. I am taking a hands on approach because I want to know all about my products and learning some new skills at the same time.

That's answers all the questions.

Great approach BTW! Not only does it give you a better understanding of your products, but it helps to understand what actually goes into the manufacturing of these parts (there arent many people who realize what's really involved in manufacturing... especially welding... it is, without a doubt, an "art")

LWM
10-29-2011, 10:48 PM
(there arent many people who realize what's really involved in manufacturing... especially welding... it is, without a doubt, an "art")

It has been a few years since I ran a welder (back when I built the frame for my 1955 Willy's) so it was nice to try it again, I was surprised how easy the Tig welder was to use.

CmmdrDan
10-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Jon, I want to give you a good pat on that back. It isn't normal to see business owner being hands on these days. They usually just sign the checks and stand around. Granted they can do that..but when I see you getting hands on and helping build your products it makes me feel reassured that you are not going to settle for anything but the best.

LWM
10-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Jon, I want to give you a good pat on that back. It isn't normal to see business owner being hands on these days. They usually just sign the checks and stand around. Granted they can do that..but when I see you getting hands on and helping build your products it makes me feel reassured that you are not going to settle for anything but the best.

Thank you for your kind words, I have a lot of time and money invested in this venture and I intend to make sure it was not a waste. If the first products out the door are not the highest quality then the reputation of the business (and mine) is gone and I have no intention of putting out a poor quality product or something that I cannot stand behind.

Holaday07 4.7
10-30-2011, 08:42 AM
That is rare these days! Thanks again, and I am glad tese questions are ok to ask. I am very much looking forward to your line of skidplates, and am holding off ordering anything till yours are ready.

LWM
10-30-2011, 09:02 AM
That is rare these days! Thanks again, and I am glad tese questions are ok to ask. I am very much looking forward to your line of skidplates, and am holding off ordering anything till yours are ready.

I would be concerned with doing business with any business that would not provide customer service in the form of answering consumer questions. You have MANY places you can spend YOUR money, If I want a piece of the market I have to provide the best product AND the best customer service.

El Cid
10-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Well said all around.

... except that several of these last posts are biz-specific and thus should have been made by Steel Armadillo and not Knappster, right? ;)

Seriously, I applaud your effort to keep these two aspects separate. It'll be hard to keep consistent with it, but it's a good thing to do.

Nutserts are definitely solid if you install them right. We used them for a long time at 4xGuard for installing the Side Guards. I actually still have several still in my XK from when I had an old set of WK Side Guards installed prior to designing the XK ones -- once installed they're remarkably hard to take out, so I just left them in and put the new Side Guards over the top of 'em!

LWM
10-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Seriously, I applaud your effort to keep these two aspects separate. It'll be hard to keep consistent with it, but it's a good thing to do.

Tell me about it! :)

Steel Armadillo
10-30-2011, 06:39 PM

^ What he said! :)

Steel Armadillo
11-12-2011, 04:05 PM
The Steel Armadillo Super Sliders are now available for sale, they will run $449.95 plus shipping and you can add the optional step and powder coating.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/Sliders9-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/Sliders7-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/Sliders6-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/Sliders2-1.jpg

Sal-XK
11-12-2011, 05:46 PM
What do we need to add? Is what's in the picture the what we get?

Steel Armadillo
11-12-2011, 10:30 PM
What do we need to add? Is what's in the picture the what we get?

The sliders are as seen in the photos and come with 8 nutcerts and the 8 bolts to hold them on. We will provide instruction on how to install the nut certs after you drill 8 holes, you then bolt them on and are ready to go.

The sliders come bare metal and you can paint them or powder coat them locally or we can have them powder coated here for an additional charge.

You can have us add the step plate as an option prior to shipping as well (I will post a photo of one with a step this week as well).

Sal-XK
11-13-2011, 06:04 AM
ok got it thanks bro and good job launching at a decent price as well.

Holaday07 4.7
11-13-2011, 06:21 AM
Looks great Jon!

cis911
11-13-2011, 09:56 AM
can you list some advantages of having yours vs rocky road sliders. Yours look awesome.

Steel Armadillo
11-13-2011, 02:53 PM
can you list some advantages of having yours vs rocky road sliders. Yours look awesome.

Yes I can... I offer this in response to your question as I do not want to be known as the business that trashes another company in order to promote ( I hope that I always remain above that).

The Rocky Road slider will run you $400 which is $50 less than what we are asking for ours, the quality of the two is where you will see your getting your monies worth. I personally purchased and installed the Rocky Road on my Commander as my first set of sliders and they are a good product, just not good enough in my opinion.

This is the Rocky Road slider:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/DSCI00611-1.jpg

As you can see they use a 1" square pipe that bolts to your frame and six bolts to your pinch weld, due to the arms being so long they act as a pivot which allows the slider to ride up and just before I removed mine I noticed that I had less than 1/4 inch clearance between the top of the slider and an open door. If you hit rocks hard enough (and I wheel hard) you will bend the Rocky Road up and run the risk of not being able to open your doors.

As you can see in the following photo (I will replace with a better photo soon), the metal used for our product is 2x4 steel and a 1.5" round tube (round in almost always stronger than square).

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/DocsSliders011-1.jpg

When I removed the Rocky Road slider I found body damage in two places which was actually caused BY the slider, the purpose of a slider is supposed to be to protect the body from damage.

Our slider also sticks out further from your vehicle in order to prevent the obstacles from causing damage to the side of your vehicle if you get to close.

I hope that helps and thanks for asking.

Holaday07 4.7
11-13-2011, 06:38 PM
I would say that the quality is no campairison. Not to mention you loose 2 inches of clearance with the Rocky Roads, over stock, and gain clearance with the Steel's. for $50 graduating from sub par to overkill is worth it IMHO

Steel Armadillo
11-13-2011, 07:18 PM
I would say that the quality is no campairison. Not to mention you loose 2 inches of clearance with the Rocky Roads, over stock, and gain clearance with the Steel's. for $50 graduating from sub par to overkill is worth it IMHO

I was told that our Super Slider was overkill as well, I like to think of it as the last Super Slider you will ever have to buy!

Holaday07 4.7
11-13-2011, 09:13 PM
that is the kind of ideology that will make everyone happy

Doc in AZ
11-25-2011, 04:19 PM
here's a couple better pictures of the new design.

you can see they have a recessed spot to get closer to the body where as the first generation used spacers to clear the irregular body shapes. we have also designed new mounting brackets that will have less chance of hanging up on anything and a more contoured design to flow with the body.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/IMG264-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/IMG263-1.jpg

LWM
11-26-2011, 03:41 PM
I have two sets of sliders as shown ready to ship, I am adding a step to the side of mine this week and can add them to the others as well.

Sal-XK
11-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Do you have an estimate on shipping 28376

LWM
11-27-2011, 09:02 AM

I will work one up today, I need to weigh one and check for the best shipping between several companies.

Sal-XK
11-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Ok let me know I'm going to sell the XJ so I can get a set of these and few other things.

Holaday07 4.7
11-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Already selling the XJ why?

Sal-XK
11-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Already selling the XJ why?

It's a great Jeep but all I can think about is modding my XK. I also enjoy wheeling my XK more even though it can't do what the XJ can do. If I pick one jeep I can do all the things I want to it. Spending money on two jeeps isn't fair to the family. If I sell the XJ I can get sliders and a snorkel or a programmer. My XK misses the feel of the rocky trails LOL... :)

Holaday07 4.7
11-27-2011, 10:05 AM
It's a great Jeep but all I can think about is modding my XK. I also enjoy wheeling my XK more even though it can't do what the XJ can do. If I pick one jeep I can do all the things I want to it. Spending money on two jeeps isn't fair to the family. If I sell the XJ I can get sliders and a snorkel or a programmer. My XK misses the feel of the rocky trails LOL... :)

You should get one of those high tech PVC snorkels, them look real nice. I have to agree, a lot of the fun is dragging The Tank through the trails it shouldnt be on

Sal-XK
11-27-2011, 10:13 AM
LMAO hahahah I might be demented but I'm not that demented unless you ask the wife hahah. I really want the sliders :) except for the bumpers it's the last piece of armor I need to complete the under neath protection. I really like the design of these sliders as well I've been waiting a while for something along these lines to come out.

LWM
11-27-2011, 02:59 PM

If I figured it out correctly, the shipping would run $81.27 (together they are 100 lbs coming from 85345). I can make a phone call tomorrow and confirm that I set up my software correctly.

The_War_Wagon
11-28-2011, 02:09 PM
I was looking over these earlier (already thinkin' about where to spend the Tax refund! :p) - if you leave off the powdercoat, they basically come "in the white?" Do I understand that correctly?

WHEN I get them, I'll want 'em powdercoated, as I think I'll paint 'em either black (to match my side molding), or bright metallic silver, to match the body. :cool:

Sal-XK
11-28-2011, 02:12 PM
I was looking over these earlier (already thinkin' about where to spend the Tax refund! :p) - if you leave off the powdercoat, they basically come "in the white?" Do I understand that correctly?

WHEN I get them, I'll want 'em powdercoated, as I think I'll paint 'em either black (to match my side molding), or bright metallic silver, to match the body. :cool:

If you don't get the powder coating they come in bare metal. If your going to paint them then you don't need to powder coat them. The powder coating is a finished product. Hope that helps!

The_War_Wagon
11-28-2011, 02:18 PM
If you don't get the powder coating they come in bare metal. If your going to paint them then you don't need to powder coat them. The powder coating is a finished product. Hope that helps!

GOTCHA! I was thinking of the powdercoating as 'paintable protection.' I may still get it done, as it's black (no?), and matches my trim.

hoaxci5
11-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Powercoating comes in lots of colors, but it will be harder to actually match than paint will be..

Sal-XK
11-28-2011, 02:22 PM
GOTCHA! I was thinking of the powdercoating as 'paintable protection.' I may still get it done, as it's black (no?), and matches my trim.

I'm sure that black is the color Jon is powder coating but you can get all kinds of colors now.

LWM
11-28-2011, 04:39 PM
I rattle canned mine (flat black rustolium), and I will do the same on my upgraded sliders when I put them back on. Powder coating is nice but it adds to the price and there is the risk of damage in shipping or on the trail, if you paint them yourself you can repair as needed without anyone noticing.

I have two sets in bar metal ready to go anytime, I am having the steps made (waterjet is backed up 10 days) and if you want them you have to wait a little longer. If the steps are not wanted they just need to be crated and shipped.

The steps are a nice added feature and I will have them added to mine which is why there are no sliders currently on my Jeep.

The_War_Wagon
11-28-2011, 06:36 PM
I have two sets in bar metal ready to go anytime, I am having the steps made (waterjet is backed up 10 days) and if you want them you have to wait a little longer. If the steps are not wanted they just need to be crated and shipped.

The steps are a nice added feature and I will have them added to mine which is why there are no sliders currently on my Jeep.

Would like to see the steps when you're done - I've got some time before I've got the money, so I'd like to see what those look like - I might want them, too! :)

LWM
11-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Would like to see the steps when you're done - I've got some time before I've got the money, so I'd like to see what those look like - I might want them, too! :)

You will want them... You will want then... You will want them... repeat after me... :)

strokeZ
11-28-2011, 09:14 PM
It's great to see more and more options for our Jeep's come online - great to have choices and from what I can see from the pics - all quality products!

Sal-XK
11-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Where does the step go? I have people coming this weekend to look at the XJ one guy on friday says he wants but we will see. Not sure if I want to wait for the step or not. Do you have a drawing or anything?

Steel Armadillo
11-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Where does the step go? Do you have a drawing or anything?

I do not have a drawing but the step is going to be a flat piece of metal (most likely steel diamond plate for that little bit of traction) approximately 3.5" x 16" with the Steel Armadillo logo water jet cut into it, the step will be welded into the space between the two center supports and welded on all four side.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/IMG264-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/Sliders7-1.jpg

Sal-XK
11-29-2011, 05:54 PM
The water jet logo sounds cool how much are the steps? I might have to wait for them. On the up side I sold my jeep!!! So Friday I'll have the money and if he backs out I had a guy trying to out bid him for it tonight but I refuse to make a profit on selling this Jeep so I told him no. So as soon as he pays me I'll put the money in the bank and order the sliders and some other stuff so keep one of those sets for me please :) My only concern now is will my smashed rocker panel cause any issues with installing the sliders?

LWM
11-29-2011, 09:37 PM
My only concern now is will my smashed rocker panel cause any issues with installing the sliders?

As long as you are able to have fairly straight pinch weld along the bottom you will be in good shape, and the nice thing is a hammer will straighten the pinch weld if you did mess it up.

cico7
11-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Hammers and welders fix many things.
maybe not ripped off steps...

Sal-XK
11-30-2011, 07:06 AM
As long as you are able to have fairly straight pinch weld along the bottom you will be in good shape, and the nice thing is a hammer will straighten the pinch weld if you did mess it up.

I'm going to need a big hammer LOL

Hammers and welders fix many things.
maybe not ripped off steps...

I did the damage after I took my running boards off :) If I would of left them on I would of been fine.

criket
11-30-2011, 02:40 PM
I did the damage after I took my running boards off :) If I would of left them on I would of been fine.

Don't be a fool, wrap yo tool.

I really like these sliders. Great work!!!

Sal-XK
11-30-2011, 06:37 PM
I took another look at the rocker. The pinch weld is fine and straight its the actual rocker panel above that has all the damage.

Steel Armadillo
11-30-2011, 07:01 PM
I took another look at the rocker. The pinch weld is fine and straight its the actual rocker panel above that has all the damage.

Mine was damaged as well, bed liner covered it pretty well and the slider covers any damage to the bottom side.

cico7
12-01-2011, 07:22 AM
If the rocker is damaged, spray one of the stop rust products on the metal. Typical bedliner does not protect from any rust already started.

Sal-XK
12-01-2011, 05:59 PM
If the rocker is damaged, spray one of the stop rust products on the metal. Typical bedliner does not protect from any rust already started.

I've been so busy I've had no time to get to this :( My rocker has developed a little surface rust color I can still wipe it away with my finger LOL but yea I'll hit it with a good primer then the self etching primer then the bed liner or something.

AJeepZJ
12-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Wonder whatever happened to Jeremy... Lifted Up, because, I think he lived in Arizona... errr... or was it New Mexico? Either way - Those sliders look fantastic, it would be so awesome to get a WK in your shop so you can start working on some WK dimensions.

Sal-XK
12-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Well I ordered mine tonight!!! Can't wait to get them on and hit the trails. Now they just need to get here before Uwharrie closes

LWM
12-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Well I ordered mine tonight!!! Can't wait to get them on and hit the trails. Now they just need to get here before Uwharrie closes

I will work on getting yours out the first of the week. I have to build a crate and pick up a bolt set for them and then they are on their way.

Sal-XK
12-03-2011, 07:14 AM
I will work on getting yours out the first of the week. I have to build a crate and pick up a bolt set for them and then they are on their way.

I'm so excited I could dance
https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

AJeepZJ
12-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Lol, whats funny is was having a hard time trying to figure out what that dance would look like but you gave me a prerty good idea lol... I cant imagine ypu doing this dance.

Sal-XK
12-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Lol, whats funny is was having a hard time trying to figure out what that dance would look like but you gave me a prerty good idea lol... I cant imagine ypu doing this dance.

I've been known to get down and boggie once and a while :)

AJeepZJ
12-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I've been known to get down and boggie once and a while :)

lmao!!!

GPintheMitten
12-03-2011, 03:26 PM
I would like to see what it will look like with the step. Sounds like a great product if I can free up the money.

LWM
12-03-2011, 06:00 PM
I would like to see what it will look like with the step.

I will add the steps to mine and then take some pictures and post them here and on the store site.

XK N00b
12-03-2011, 11:16 PM
I'd like to see those pics. These are now on my list. can't decide to paint, powdercoat, or bedliner them.

AJeepZJ
12-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I will be eye-balling your rock sliders very hard in a few weeks, sir - Sooo... might as well go ahead and get a WK set ready, lol.

LWM
12-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I will be eye-balling your rock sliders very hard in a few weeks, sir - Sooo... might as well go ahead and get a WK set ready, lol.

Do you think you want the optional steps ($60.00) installed?

AJeepZJ
12-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Not if they lower side clearance.

NeilSmith
12-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Another idea about how to finish these rails, paint , bedliner , or what ? Remember, this is what I would do, only what I would do and not necessarily what Jon may recommend. The rails will be shipped in bare metal unless you have Jon powder coat them. First thing is to clean them with a de-greaser, wax and grease remover, paint thinner works fine. Then sand the metal a little . Use a scotch brite pad or some 400 grit paper. Its not going to be too critical because they are to be etched anyway for adhesion. Basically with sanding youre getting them nice and smooth and making sure there is no welding slag that was missed. ( sorry Jon :) ) Next, the bare metal will need to be Etch Primed. You can buy etch primer in spray can. I use DuPont brand but all brands are basically the same. After etch priming them I would use a rock guard spray, similar to what some car manufacturers use . I use a brand called TranStar. It comes in spray can also. This stuff seems to get harder than your spray can bed liner material and its probably cheaper and easier to touch up. One can will easily do two rocker panels but maybe take 2 cans to do the rails real well. It will take a couple of coats. After the rock guard I would use a satin sheen black spray paint. You can touch up this process easily and quickly. You will be scratching the sliders up on the trails and you wont have to re-do the whole slider just to touch up one spot either. I would do the rockers also before you mount the rails. Simply sand the rockers with a scotch brite pad. The red pads are 400 grit or you could use sand paper. If you simply want to paint the rockers without the rock guard, use 400 grit paper. If you want to use rock guard on the rockers then you can use 220 grit to 400 grit paper. You Do Not use etch primer on the rockers because they are already painted. Etch primer is only for bare metal. Since I work in a body shop I have the ability to paint the rails with automotive paint and clearcoat. I wouldn't recommend this because , 1- you wouldnt be able to do it in your shop very easily, 2- it is expensive, and 3- it is not easy to touch it up. Spray paint is where its at.

AJeepZJ
12-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Thats an awful lot to read - you made me get up to check it on my computer. Unless powdercoating is stronger than bedliner - I'd probably just take it off and bedline it. Will that be an available option in January?

AJeepZJ
12-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Do you think you want the optional steps ($60.00) installed?

I just had an epiphany - The optional steps... is that whats pictured on the site, because if so. YES!

NeilSmith
12-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Not meaning to de-rail the thread so real quickly, when powder coating first came out it was advertised that if you hit the part with a hammer that you would bend the steel before you scratched the powder coating. After watching all the motorcycle shows on tv they are always scratching the powder coating. Maybe there are different grades of the coating ? Surely different shops doing the coating. My idea is the easiest and cheapest process to touch up because if you slide the rail on a rock it is scratching down to the metal no matter what coating is on it, in my opinion. Carry on.

LWM
12-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Not if they lower side clearance.

I just had an epiphany - The optional steps... is that whats pictured on the site, because if so. YES!

The photos show the units in their current state, this is what Sal purchased and should have soon.

I will pick up a side step from the water jet shop and have them welded to my personal sliders this week, The step goes on top of the center section of bar and does not effect ground clearance.

Sal-XK
12-11-2011, 07:39 PM
The photos show the units in their current state, this is what Sal purchased and should have soon. https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Sal-XK
12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
I got a delivery today!!!!!! https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

These things came packed very well even the UPS guy commented on how well packed they were.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5551JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5554JPG-1.jpg

And after persuading my pinch weld back in place a little bit I slipped them in place with my Jack. They lined right up all the brackets went flush where there suppose to be I was pretty happy.. Not looking forward to the other side that pinch weld is in pretty bad shape compared to this side. I will add using vice grips to straighten the pinch weld was a lot easier and more precise then using a hammer. Here are some test fit pictures..

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5555JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5556JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5557JPG-1.jpg

On first inspection I am pretty happy with how these are made. All the welds have good beads to them and from what I could tell good heat penetration as well. They are heavy as well shipping weight for the pair was 130LBS so they are solid. There are a total of 8 bolts holding them up and the mounting brackets are wide spreading the stress out pretty well I think they will hold up nice.

AJeepZJ
12-12-2011, 06:52 PM
On first inspection I am pretty happy with how these are made. All the welds have good beads to them and from what I could tell good heat penetration as well. They are heavy as well shipping weight for the pair was 130LBS so they are solid. There are a total of 8 bolts holding them up and the mounting brackets are wide spreading the stress out pretty well I think they will hold up nice.

LOL - I can only imagine the look on your face right now - I'd pay really good coin to see your face, lol.

There's only ONE way to find out how tough they are :D... Jon, do you mind???? :D

NeilSmith
12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Sal will put them to the test, I know. That was an issue with other brands, never seemed to have someone really test the stuff. Sal, I cant see your pics. Is that just me ?

Sal-XK
12-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Ok I fixed them the album was set to private

NeilSmith
12-12-2011, 07:06 PM
still nuttin

NeilSmith
12-12-2011, 07:09 PM
thats weird. my Windows Family safety filter was blocking the pics. Turned it off and now Im good.

Sal-XK
12-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Ok if this don't work I think its you.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5555JPG-1.jpg

LWM
12-12-2011, 07:12 PM
looking good, glad to see they arrived in the same condition they were shipped it. For the record, each slider is 50 lbs and the crate is 30 lbs.

NeilSmith
12-12-2011, 07:18 PM
im good now. nice wooden box. most places would just wrap em in cardboard

criket
12-13-2011, 05:57 AM
They look good! I hope you can get them on and test them this weekend at URE.

Sal-XK
12-13-2011, 06:07 AM
They look good! I hope you can get them on and test them this weekend at URE.

I'll have them on for sure not sure if I'll have them painted by the weekend though.

BonesWK
12-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Sal those sliders look great.

well done Steel Armadillo

Holaday07 4.7
12-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Very Cool! Those things look tough!

LWM
12-13-2011, 06:42 AM
well done Steel Armadillo

Thanks, now somehow I need a WK so I can make sure the fit will work for them as well.

Anyone anywhere need Phoenix wanna help out?

LWM
12-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Here is a photo of the optional step for the Super Sliders that I took with my cell phone, the production version will be welded from underneath so the weld do not show.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/IMAG0379-1.jpg

AJeepZJ
12-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I like those.

07JeepXK
12-14-2011, 08:28 AM
I like the steps that you added to the sliders. I think the only thing I dont like about these sliders is how they don't wrap around the rockers underneith the doors like the 4xguards do. Other then that, nice job.

LWM
12-14-2011, 08:57 AM
I think the only thing I dont like about these slides is how they don't wrap around the rockers underneith the doors like the 4xguards do.

I am playing with an optional dress-up kit that would cover those in the future. There are some advantages to the 4xGuard such as the one you pointed out, but on the other hand the 4xGuard does not have the side bar or step option, it all depends on what features you want most.

brendon
12-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Looks good. You can usually tell the quality put into the design of something by how much effort they put into shipping it!

Sal-XK
12-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Driver side is done!!!!!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5568JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5567JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5569JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5570JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5571JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5574JPG-1.jpg

LWM
12-14-2011, 07:10 PM

Measurements look good!

Matt
12-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Measurements look good!

Thats what she said....

Sal-XK
12-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Thats what she said....

Never to me she don't LOL

Matt
12-14-2011, 07:23 PM
lol sorry to hear that man..... how the hell do you keep her around then? hahaha

Sal-XK
12-14-2011, 07:25 PM
My sense of humor I'm really not sure I ask her that all the time LOL

Sal-XK
12-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Just some FYI I did put my floor jack on the tube section of the sliders dead center not the flat section under the jeep but the tube section that sticks out further then the jeep and jacked my jeep up. I would consider this the weakest part because it sticks out the farthest I got very little movement on the sliders. I was very happy with how they held up being stressed from this point. keep in mind that my pinch weld and the area they mount to where already banged up. So my install will be weaker then anyone else that installs these with straight sections of metal to mount to. I hope I'm making sense.

Doc in AZ
12-14-2011, 07:41 PM
thanks for all the compliments guys, we had A LOT of research & engineering man hours into this final design, i'm really glad to hear you like the product.

Sal-XK
12-14-2011, 07:44 PM
thanks for all the compliments guys, we had A LOT of research & engineering man hours into this final design, i'm really glad to hear you like the product.

I love them they were exactly what I was looking for! They lined up great as well the only issues I had was caused by the damage I already had from wheeling which I would of never of had if these bad boys where on.

Doc in AZ
12-14-2011, 07:54 PM
mistakes were made, there were some sacrifices & someone rode on a trailer... but we figured it out

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/296044_2296689891632_1080633062_2500579_-1.jpg

Sal-XK
12-14-2011, 08:01 PM
mistakes were made, there were some sacrifices & someone rode on a trailer... but we figured it out

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/296044_2296689891632_1080633062_2500579_-1.jpg

LMAO

Doc in AZ
12-14-2011, 08:03 PM
that picture is not a joke or photochopped - i really had to tow jon's jeep during the build. that old ford might be ugly... but she's got heart!

Sal-XK
12-14-2011, 08:10 PM
that picture is not a joke or photochopped - i really had to tow jon's jeep during the build. that old ford might be ugly... but she's got heart!

I know bro that's why I was laughing. That Jeep looks twice as big as your ford.

JonJon
12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Driver side is done!!!!!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5568JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5567JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5569JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5570JPG-1.jpg

Looks awesome! I am very jealous... I'll have a set soon enough. I guess patience is key

LWM
12-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Put in an order for 3 more sets today and at least 2 of those will be for the WK.

Sal-XK
12-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Put in an order for 3 more sets today and at least 2 of those will be for the WK.

Are they different for the WK?

LWM
12-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Are they different for the WK?

I do not know since I have not put one up against it, the only thing that I think might be different is the location of the two front side tabs where they align with the body.

BonesWK
12-15-2011, 05:15 AM

Now im even more jealous... awesome work. Sal, I expect a full report on these after URE

Sal-XK
12-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Now im even more jealous... awesome work. Sal, I expect a full report on these after URE

No problem!

criket
12-15-2011, 11:18 AM
DANG!!!! those sliders look good!!!!! Man, i want a set soooo bad. i guess I need to start saving my pennies, lol.

You know, the area of the rocker that you can see between the slider and the door really isn't that bad. I guess I one really wanted too, they could trim the plastic rockers to fit in that gap. But that would probably take a while./

Sal-XK
12-15-2011, 06:58 PM
All done with the install sliders are on and looking sick.

A shot of the brackets underneath

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5599JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5600JPG-1.jpg

Holaday07 4.7
12-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Huh? How do those mount? Is there no blts to the pinch weld?

Sal-XK
12-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Huh? How do those mount? Is there no blts to the pinch weld?

No there are no bolts to the pinch weld. The pinch weld sits in the channel on the brackets. There are three of these brackets and two brackets one in the rear and one in the front on the outside above the pinch weld total of 5. Not sure if I can explain it right here but the way its designed it does use the pinch weld and rocker and pretty much a lot of the jeep for support to make it solid. I jumped up and down on the tub and I'm 200LBS and that's the weakest part of the sliders they never moved. I also jacked the jeep up from the center of the tube which is a lot of pressure in a small area and they didn't move again.

criket
12-16-2011, 04:32 AM
I can't wait to see thee things slide across a rock at URE this weekend! LOL, don't take that the wrong way Sal, LOL.

AJeepZJ
12-16-2011, 05:05 AM

There are 2 WK's ordering these before me?!?! Or are you ordering these as stock?

And I don't think you'd want these to bolt to the pinchweld... It's strong, but i don't think it's strong enough to support 4600 lb's on impact

LWM
12-16-2011, 10:10 AM
There are 2 WK's ordering these before me?!?! Or are you ordering these as stock?

I have a couple of WKs thinking about it but these are for stock (not sure how long they will stay on the shelf however). :)

Holaday07 4.7
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM

And I don't think you'd want these to bolt to the pinchweld... It's strong, but i don't think it's strong enough to support 4600 lb's on impact

I agree, just didnt understand how they mounted. Do you have to drill into the bottom of the frame. They look freakn bulletproof, I did not mean to second guess their strength just currious.

LWM
12-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Do you have to drill into the bottom of the frame.

You drill 6 holes and install nut certs in the bottom of the body and then two more on the side for a total of 8 bolts.

LWM
12-16-2011, 04:15 PM
I picked up my set of Super Sliders from the Powder Coat shop today!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/Install1-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/Install6-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/Install13-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/Install9-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/Install10-1.jpg

Matt
12-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Looks great!!

06blkhemi
12-16-2011, 05:46 PM
awesome! when are the tube fenders coming avail.?

LWM
12-16-2011, 06:07 PM
when are the tube fenders coming avail.?

Sometime after the front bumper gets finished in January.

Matt
12-16-2011, 06:48 PM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/Install1-1.jpg

..... i do however find it ironic that you're "protecting" the sliders with the floor mats though!! lol

LWM
12-16-2011, 09:27 PM
..... i do however find it ironic that you're "protecting" the sliders with the floor mats though!! lol

I pulled the floor mats out of a trash can at the car wash :)

GPintheMitten
12-17-2011, 06:00 AM

I think he is protecting the floormats with his sliders.

criket
12-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Well I got to see Sal's sliders in action today. He dropped it on a rock hard and they held like they should. Sal has the video of it. It was awesome!!!

IMO, these sliders are the best I've seen. They are solid, well built, and will hold up a heavy Jeep. I drolled over these things all day. You did a great job sir at the design and fabrication of these sliders. For that, you get a thumbs up.

Sal-XK
12-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Ok as Toby said I dropped the sliders on a rock to test them out. I will let you decide how well they held up. The first drop I eased onto them to test them the second run I slammed the XK on them. The entire weight of the left side of my XK landed on these things.

http://youtu.be/RAGx3V_7pE4

CmmdrDan
12-17-2011, 05:45 PM
I dont know what was better..the fact that they held swimmingly or a.j. freaking out about it!

Sal-XK
12-17-2011, 05:48 PM
I dont know what was better..the fact that they held swimmingly or a.j. freaking out about it!

Ya AJ was really excited LOL

Matt
12-17-2011, 06:08 PM
lol that was an awesome video!

Damn i gotta get out wheeling with you guys some day :(

Sal-XK
12-17-2011, 06:10 PM
lol that was an awesome video!

Damn i gotta get out wheeling with you guys some day :(

Ya I got hung up and was spinning around in circles again on the trails I was pointing in the wrong direction when I finally got off the rock

LWM
12-17-2011, 06:19 PM
IMO, these sliders are the best I've seen. They are solid, well built, and will hold up a heavy Jeep. I drolled over these things all day. You did a great job sir at the design and fabrication of these sliders. For that, you get a thumbs up.

Thank you for the kind words. I saw the video, it was amazing!

Sal-XK
12-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Thank you for the kind words. I saw the video, it was amazing!

At least you have solid proof your sliders will hold up. I remember asking 4xg for proof like this a pic something slamming down on there sliders but they didn't have any.

criket
12-17-2011, 06:36 PM
That is your promotional video. Feel free to edit AJ's giddiness, lol.

LWM
12-17-2011, 10:33 PM

I think it will need a little editing to use for a promotional video but it certainly represents well.

AJeepZJ
12-18-2011, 05:17 AM

Yeah - I didn't know the video was recording half the time, lol - So feel free to edit away, i hate being in video's.

Sal-XK
12-18-2011, 03:26 PM
We all seen the video by now of how hard I came down on the sliders. Besides putting some scratches on them which is to be expected I put a very small dent in the bottom of them. I was actually expecting to find a bigger dent then that because of how hard I came down.

Its so small its hard to see in the pic
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5671JPG-1.jpg

BonesWK
12-19-2011, 06:57 AM
sliders look and preform great from what I can tell... I smell a tax money gift...

Matt
12-19-2011, 07:06 AM
I think it goes without saying..... if that want just a "test", those sliders would have paid for themselves 3 fold (at least)

IamJEEP
12-21-2011, 08:20 PM
What's the price of these bad boys? Link? PM?

Sal-XK
12-21-2011, 08:23 PM
What's the price of these bad boys? Link? PM?

You been living under a rock or what bro! http://www.thesteelarmadillo.com/

IamJEEP
12-21-2011, 08:40 PM
You been living under a rock or what bro! http://www.thesteelarmadillo.com/

Yeah actually I have not frequented this site lately. I knew he made them, just wamted the link and price. Thanks bro, I gotta come back to tthe madness over here.

NeilSmith
12-22-2011, 12:08 PM
what happened ? get stuck in the mall parking lot or something ?

IamJEEP
12-22-2011, 12:18 PM
what happened ? get stuck in the mall parking lot or something ?

Lol, something like that. I was at the mall last weekend with the misses and believe me there were some people, uhhhhhhh....."obsticals" I wanted to run over.

BonesWK
12-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Sal or Knappster, is there places on those rails a Hi-lift would work?>

Matt
12-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Looks like you'd have to use a D-Ring or similar to use in conjunction with either the lift-mate (LM-100) or the bumper lift (BL-250)

Edit: and go around one of the short tube supports so it couldnt slide to the front or rear. That's be the most stable spot i see anyway.

Sal-XK
12-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Sal or Knappster, is there places on those rails a Hi-lift would work?>

Can't say I saw any notches on them but I guess you could just wrap a strap around the tub and do it that way.

06blkhemi
12-28-2011, 03:11 PM
On the tube would probably be fine?! I've seen guys do it there without problems.

LWM
12-28-2011, 03:46 PM
On the tube would probably be fine?! I've seen guys do it there without problems.

I used a hi-lift on my previous slider tube with no trouble so I do not see why these would be any different.

Matt
12-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Just want to be careful that it doesn't slide.

LWM
02-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Here is a teaser until Omelet posts more!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/IMAG0400-1.jpg

Sal-XK
02-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Omelet
02-04-2012, 09:55 PM
This looks like a good spot :D

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/720ff157-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/cc32f713-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/20a66175-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/530a0323-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/e3b490c4-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/f6b26583-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/e5fb9afb-1.jpg

Sorry they are all cell pics! Better ones to come soon. Plus some paint!

Sal-XK
02-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Awesome! How do you like them?

Omelet
02-05-2012, 10:50 AM
So far I love them! It is hard to get used to how far they stick out. After I got home i opened my door to get out and I was like Wow there is a huge bar there :D It will be nice to have some door protection now and not just rocker protection. The weight is the same as the 4xGuard rails, so that is nice. I feared they would be heavier.

Sal-XK
02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Ya it takes some getting use to getting out LOL

AJeepZJ
02-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Sigh.... Now I just want mine.

06blkhemi
02-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Love your wheels! Plasti dip? Sliders are sweet!

Omelet
02-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks! Not Plastydip, I taped off the pockets, sanded down the face, sprayed some adhesion promoter, then primer, base color (graphite), un-tape everything, and gave the entire wheel a glossy clear coat. Oh, and then added an ORT sticker! :D

pjmjr508
02-06-2012, 08:28 AM
looking good

BonesWK
02-06-2012, 08:54 AM
looks great man. ima little jealous

Omelet, school me on ORT - have a link? Not sure what that is, but I have seen it a lot on the XK WK Facebook page.

AJeepZJ
02-06-2012, 09:14 AM
looks great man. ima little jealous

Omelet, school me on ORT - have a link? Not sure what that is, but I have seen it a lot on the XK WK Facebook page.

It is the offroad sect of the SRT group that we are all familiar with.... Hence Off-Road Technology. The sliders look good Nathan, I'm done being jealous and decided to look through the remaining pictures. The part that you guys are getting used to is the part that I appreciate the most. That extra protrusion will provide excellent coverage from sliding into obstacles. The other thing is it looks like it sticks out a little bit more on the WK than the XK. Where it cuts really close to the XK, there is perhaps 1/4" of contact with the sliders before it will hit the body? Can this be confirmed?

Omelet
02-07-2012, 10:46 PM
I was able to incorporate the logo! :D

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/a4d90f5e-1.jpg

Sal-XK
02-08-2012, 03:24 AM
That was a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LWM
02-08-2012, 04:26 AM
I was able to incorporate the logo! :D

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/a4d90f5e-1.jpg

Great idea!

cico7
02-08-2012, 06:33 AM
what is that stamped on the side? Is that on the slider or the WK?
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/f6b26583-1.jpg

Holaday07 4.7
02-08-2012, 06:38 AM
^^^ looks like it is just the markings on the bare steel. Maybe specs?

Omelet
02-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Yep just the specs!

Omelet
02-08-2012, 11:34 AM
That was a good idea

Great idea!

Thanks guys! I wanted to have the company logo on them so I figured this was the best way to do it without the stickers getting torn up.

Omelet
02-12-2012, 12:03 AM
I got them mounted back up today now that they are caked with bedliner.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/cb0dd1a7-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/40661f74-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/3daac3ed-1.jpg

LWM
02-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Love the look! But how did you process that last Photo? That's cool too.

Sal-XK
02-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Real nice man, real nice!

Omelet
02-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys! I used a camera app on my phone (camera+).

Btw thanks for the extra nutserts! Hoping to have time to put them in today.

LWM
02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Btw thanks for the extra nutserts! Hoping to have time to put them in today.

Your welcome!

pjmjr508
02-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Looking great

Omelet
02-16-2012, 01:09 PM
By the way, the 4xG rails weighed in at 54lbs per side and these are 43lbs per side! (Weights taken using a standard household scale, nothing fancy) :D

Sal-XK
02-16-2012, 01:37 PM
lighter is better and I proved they can handle the weith of our jeeps, so good job Jon!

Omelet
02-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Yep I was stoked to see the weight difference and figured I would share the good new. Not sure how many guys are going to remove 4xG rails and instal these, so I am happy to be able to do a side by side comparison.

EvilJager
02-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Ill prob just deal with the extra weight lol nathan already knows but i plan on adding on to mine after i get my front bumper installed! But im very interested in those skids if they can revise them and make a sl version skid lol

Sal-XK
02-26-2012, 09:38 AM
We spun two nutserts installing on the WK in the exact same spot on both sides of the Jeep. I think its the shape of the body in that location that does two things. First it's a little harder to get the nutsert to sit and grab flush. Second the angle at which the bolt must enter threw the slider to the nutsert is a hard to achieve as well. This is really no big deal and easy to fix you could just tack the nutsert in place if you can. I just drilled out the nutsert and put a new one its place. So sending at least one or two extra serts with purchase is a good idea especially for the WK guys.

LWM
02-26-2012, 09:47 AM
I can include extras, We installed Nathans using a battery powered drill with a socket to install the nut certs and they all went in perfectly. I imagine that it depends on the installation tools, experience and angle but my goal is to make the customer happy so keep the suggestions coming.

Sal-XK
02-26-2012, 10:04 AM
I can include extras, We installed Nathans using a battery powered drill with a socket to install the nut certs and they all went in perfectly. I imagine that it depends on the installation tools, experience and angle but my goal is to make the customer happy so keep the suggestions coming.

I installed mine with an impact but that's highly not recommended to do. The nutsert tool I used was awesome I just found it odd that AJ spun one then I spun the other one in the same spot. Obviously this is an installation issue and not design issue. Extra care just needs to be had on that section for the WK I guess. The XK was fine no issues but all are stuff is flat and square everywhere to.

LWM
02-26-2012, 10:31 AM
I installed mine with an impact but that's highly not recommended to do. The tool I used was awesome I just found it odd that AJ spun one then I spun the other one in the same spot. Obviously this is an installation issue and not design issue. Extra care just needs to be had on that section for the WK I guess. The XK was fine no issues but all are stuff is flat and square everywhere to.

Okay, I will include extras just in case.

El Cid
02-26-2012, 11:04 AM
For what it is worth, these kinds of experiences were also common when 4xG used nutserts for the Side Guards. Added to the other problems with nutserts, 4xG chose to drop the use of them entirely, which I think was a good decision all around.

Matt
02-26-2012, 12:51 PM
I hit/drug my slider pretty good at RC in January... they held up pretty good but the aluminum rivets didn't. All of them on the drive side tweaked in some fashion, the worst being right above where the impact was.

It all went back relatively where it should have... but i need to replace all of the rivets. I'll probably go up a size or two; the ones supplied just weren't enough to take a good hit.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/20120226144246-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/20120226144337-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/20120226144309-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/20120226144327-1.jpg

Here's an image from the install when everything was flush

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/20110905140339-1.jpg

EvilJager
02-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Matt that sucks about the rivets didnt hold up. I have the version with the screws and seems to hold up alot better. And i have slammed down full force on them a few times

Matt
02-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Yeah i've been debating.. i think i may step up the rivet size, and if that doesn't work then go with the nutserts. That'll basically be a drill size up each step.

El Cid
02-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Nice hit, Matt!

This was indeed one of the concerns we had with the rivets (though when you do the same thing with nutserts the body damage can be worse). The best solution we ever found at 4xG was the use of some particular specialized metal screws. Incredibly easy to install (and uninstall), weatherproof, tight and strong as can be ...

The problem is that there is only one supplier. When that fell through for a bit, 4xG had to go to the rivets as a second-best option. (There can be other problems with the nutserts that made us feel the rivets were overall superior.) I've suggested to JBA that they go back to those incredible screws, but I don't know if they will or not. The screws are a lot more expensive up-front (the place has a monopoly and you have to buy them in bulk), but if a company was in it for the long haul they would be worth the investment, in my opinion. Can be used for all sorts of products.

Sal-XK
02-26-2012, 01:09 PM
I hit/drug my 4xG slider pretty good at RC in January... they held up pretty good but the aluminum rivets didn't. All of them on the drive side tweaked in some fashion, the worst being right above where the impact was.

It all went back relatively where it should have... but i need to replace all of the rivets. I'll probably go up a size or two; the ones supplied just weren't enough to take a good hit.

I didn't know the 4XG ones used rivets or screws I'd take nutserts myself. Other then occasionally spinning on during installation I've seen them take a lot of abuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sal-XK
02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAGx3V_7pE4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Matt
02-26-2012, 01:13 PM
What are those screws called and who makes them?

I want something that grips with a bit more surface area. What can't be seen in the pics is that the rivets also deformed the sheet metal, so that area is now compromised. I want to drill out the damaged area and correct this issue but distributing the load over more area (less chance of pull through).

Something that just screws in to a thru-hole will only distribute the load through the material that comprises the difference in the major & minor thread diameters - which isn't a lot of area unless it's a large screw. I think the limiting factor here is the XK body which needs more support.

They're still on there solid, so i don't plan on tackling this until later this spring on the summer; so that gives me time to think about it.

Omelet
02-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Matt that sucks about the rivets didnt hold up. I have the version with the screws and seems to hold up alot better. And i have slammed down full force on them a few times

Ya that's what mine are. I never had a problem with the screws. They never broke a sheered out. I was glad I got them because apparently a month later they started shipping with the crappy rivets.

EvilJager
02-26-2012, 01:48 PM
yeah same here. I bought mine after they said they switched to rivets but i guess i got lucky and had hardware packages to get rid of

AJeepZJ
02-26-2012, 02:50 PM
I installed mine with an impact but that's highly not recommended to do. The nutsert tool I used was awesome I just found it odd that AJ spun one then I spun the other one in the same spot. Obviously this is an installation issue and not design issue. Extra care just needs to be had on that section for the WK I guess. The XK was fine no issues but all are stuff is flat and square everywhere to.

Sal's already kinda said what I was gonna say, haha. WK installation seems a bit more meticulous for those external mounting locations. Even with the proper equipment it is tricky. But you've already said you'll equip a couple more for future customers, so I think this is fine.

LWM
06-17-2012, 02:55 PM
looks like a may have found a welder today. He will pick up the jigs on Monday and we will take the sliders off my Commander too use for models. I hope to have XK ones by the end of the week (we still have two pair of WK in stock).

07JeepXK
06-17-2012, 03:48 PM
After watching Sals video I think I want a set. Let me know when you have some ready to ship and if I have the money they're MINE!!!

LWM
06-17-2012, 09:43 PM
After watching Sals video I think I want a set. Let me know when you have some ready to ship and if I have the money they're MINE!!!

I order them in sets of 3, from the recent talk it looks like I might have to order 6 sets.

07JeepXK
06-18-2012, 05:56 AM
Ok just keep me posted please. Also If you can find out about the mounting brackets for the front tube fenders that would be awsome! I have some ideas brewing in my head.

07JeepXK
07-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Any word on the sliders.. I'm in need of some soon!!!

LWM
07-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Any word on the sliders.. I'm in need of some soon!!!

The parts are all at the welder, he is fixing the jig and should have 6 sets real soon.

07JeepXK
07-02-2012, 05:36 AM
The parts are all at the welder, he is fixing the jig and should have 6 sets real soon.

Are all of these 6 sets spoken for already??

LWM
07-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Are all of these 6 sets spoken for already??

3 are sold, three are still available.

07JeepXK
07-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Well one of the three set still available is MINE!!!

Matt
07-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Well one of the three set still available is MINE!!!

Hopefully install them before Aug 11?

07JeepXK
07-03-2012, 04:29 PM
If SA gets them made really soon then yes. As long as they arrive before I head out to RC they will be installed. Even if they arrive that day I'll install them in the parking area like I did my 4xguard belly skid!!

LWM
04-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Does anyone have a set of installation instructions you can send me electronically? My server crashed and I cannot print a copy for the set I just sold.

1USMC
04-26-2013, 12:08 AM
On the way via e-mail... (from Rome) let me know if that works... or I can try other options in the morning.

(I also tried to send via PM in two parts )

LWM
04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
On the way via e-mail... (from Rome) let me know if that works... or I can try other options in the morning.

(I also tried to send via PM in two parts )

Thanks, That will work!