PDA

View Full Version : Rear noise?

06blkhemi
11-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Hey guys,
Fooling around in my yard with a bit of wheeling,I noticed a noise coming seemed just from the left rear tire. Kind of a ratcheting noise.. I have the the QD2 and the elsd electronic limited slip diffs. Seems to happen when I'm at full lock making a hard left turn.. Is it just the elsd unlocking/locking so I can make the turn?
Thanks,
Frank

Matt
11-14-2011, 05:26 PM
how many miles do you have and when was your last fluid change done?

Sal-XK
11-14-2011, 05:30 PM
I hear that clicking sound with every QD2 system that's gone wheeling with me you can hear it in some of the videos I have. My guess is it's normal but could be wrong.

06blkhemi
11-14-2011, 05:45 PM
almost 80k and since i bought it with 57k,I havent changed it myself. so ill try that first.thanks..

Matt
11-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah i'd definitely get some fresh fluid in there.. make sure you put in the friction modifier as well.

FYI, check out our site sponsor Synthetic Advantage; they have the gear oil and additive you need :)

lekmedm
11-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Fresh gear oil certainly won't hurt. However, the ELSD has spider gears with a clutch pack next to them to lock the axle left-to-right. It's not like a posi that clicks or ratchets around a turn. I believe the clutches only engage and lock the axle when slippage is sensed. I'm not so sure that what you're describing is coming from the diff.

Good luck with the hunt!

:cool:

Matt
11-15-2011, 11:08 AM
There have been reports of QDII diffs chattering due to both lack of maintenance and not using the LSD additives. Anytime you're turning the clutches need to slip against each other, however pressure is not applied to the clutch packs unless slippage is sensed. But they are still in contact with each other.

Its an easy place to start especially since the fluids supposed to be changed every 30k miles (depending on which schedule you're referring to)

06blkhemi
11-15-2011, 07:26 PM
sounds like I'll be getting the rears fluid changed this weekend. I need an oil change anyways. I'll get them done both this weekend then. thanks.Frank

cico7
11-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Save some serious dough and do it your self....if you are so inclined....

lekmedm
11-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Save some serious dough and do it your self....if you are so inclined....

Yeah. When I recently did my 90k mile service, I had to get some dealer-only supplies. While I was there, I asked how much is gear oil for the diffs. They wanted somewhere around $35/qt.!!! I said I'll stick with Mobil1 @ $18/qt. and just pick up the friction modifier. ...and those are just savings on materials! Labor, well....:p

:cool: