PDA

View Full Version : Discovered damage today - not sure what to do...

The_War_Wagon
11-15-2011, 04:45 PM
While getting some more service & state inspection on ye olde XK today, I discovered... the driver's door... is NOT original! :eek:

I bought the vehicle FROM a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer in WV, and it has the extended 8 year/100k mile warranty. Had the vehicle stayed in WV, or gone to OH, or outside of Allegheny Co., this might NEVER have been discovered, BUT... Allegheny Co. requires emission inspections. They set up the computer, based on the vehicle's GVWR. They looked for that on the side/bottom of the driver's door and... NO sticker! :eek:

As you know, the vehicle will rust away completely, before that plasticized sticker erodes. And they're not exactly water soluble decals - that Gorilla glue they use to hold 'em on there isn't likely to FALL off in our lifetime! And had they pulled a door off another wrecked vehicle, the sticker for THAT vehicle WOULD have been there. This apparently, is a new MOPAR/Jeep door - it fits right - the paint matches - no giddy-up in opening/closing it, or in the widow, BUT... it ain't the ORIGINAL door!

Moreover, I bought it on 10/13, but MY Carfax report is DATED, "August 8." The door does NOT show up on the August Carfax, and I have registered it for the Carfax buyback guarantee, should something "untoward" be discovered with the title.

Thing is, both my Goodyear dealer (where I was getting it serviced) AND my local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer believe the door to be aftermarket (I went over to them to have my new PCV valve installed, and pointed it out to them. I also looked up the GVWR sticker on an '07 Commander on THIER lot, to confirm its location), albeit it genuine MOPAR/Jeep. It raises the question though: what DID happen to it, and why wasn't it on the Carfax? My local dealer was kind enough to print off a door sticker FOR me, based on my VIN, so I can get it inspected, so bonus points for them!

It could be something as simple as, the WV dealer's lot monkey backed into it, and they replaced it themselves, WITHOUT an insurance claim - which wouldn't show up on the Carfax (although I don't have one dated more recent than 8/8). I believe I need to confornt the WV dealer about this though, as I need to ask them; what ELSE has happened to it SINCE August 8, that they failed to disclose?

I've already bookmarked the WV Attorney General's office, should I need to follow up further (they have a vehicle claims division within his office, as I suspect a LOT of states do), but I gotta go through my dealer first - I'm open to suggestions on how to approach this.

Sal-XK
11-15-2011, 04:58 PM
if it works and nothing is wrong I guess you just missed an opportunity to negotiate a better price I guess. Not everything gets reported to CarFax, like if I had my door replaced and paid it myself it probably won't get reported that thing is a false sense of security sometimes I think. Not sure what your end result is here. Like what you trying to accomplish? If it's just to know what happen then just call them and see if they know anything but I truly doubt they will admit to knowing anything.

Matt
11-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Take it to an auto body shop and have them take a look at the vehicle to spot other areas of previous damage. You don't realize what those guys can spot based on their experience and knowledge.... its ridiculous. The door may have been changed but they'll be able to tell you how far any paint blending went and if there is any sheet metal work done on it; like maybe the hood or fender.

That's where i'd start anyways.

The_War_Wagon
11-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Take it to an auto body shop and have them take a look at the vehicle to spot other areas of previous damage. You don't realize what those guys can spot based on their experience and knowledge.... its ridiculous. The door may have been changed but they'll be able to tell you how far any paint blending went and if there is any sheet metal work done on it; like maybe the hood or fender.

That's where i'd start anyways.

My local Jeep dealer seems like a pretty sharp crew - maybe I should have THEM look it over. Besides, they have an '07 Hemi Commander Overland for sale I've been ogling anyways. Maybe we could do a swap AFTER all... https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Matt
11-15-2011, 05:53 PM
That's your call... but around my area, the body shop guys at the dealerships aren't really the best in the business. You want to bring it to guy that'll spot different shades of paint from 10 feet away where 99.9% of the population couldn't see it even if you told them it was there. Those are not the type of guys you'll find at a dealership. $.02

NeilSmith
11-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Well, heres my .02 worth. LOL Did you have any issues or problems with the door prior to getting it inspected. If not, why worry about it now ? If it looks good, everything works as it should, and you dont see anything obviously wrong then dont sweat it. So you bought a vehicle that may have had a door put on it. Its not the end of the world. Usually depending on individual state laws, a dealer does not have to disclose any repair done that remains below a certain dollar amount, like $1500 or so. So they didnt have to tell you. You did buy it used, correct ? I understand the issue with not having the sticker there for the inspection and emission check, and it would probably bug me too, but I think as long as it doesnt look to be butchered I would let it slide. We replace the decals on the underside of a hood but you cant get a replacement decal that has the VIN on it I dont believe.

The_War_Wagon
11-16-2011, 06:31 AM
That's your call... but around my area, the body shop guys at the dealerships aren't really the best in the business. You want to bring it to guy that'll spot different shades of paint from 10 feet away where 99.9% of the population couldn't see it even if you told them it was there. Those are not the type of guys you'll find at a dealership. $.02

Fair enough. I know some folks in those fields of endeavor. My truck will get the emissions inspection at just such a shop - I'll ask them to look it over.

Matt
11-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Neil, I'd want to know just for peace of mind. If its just the door.... I agree, no big deal. But what if it was a considerable accident and the door/fender/bumper was replaced? That would bother me.... especially, for example, if you consider Jon's accident where the front end was messed up so bad that he couldn't use his own Commander to design the new bumper. The way I see it, if there was considerable damage and it was repaired "under the table", who knows how complete of a job they did? IMO its worth looking into. Best case, he finds out just the door was replaced and its no big deal.

Holaday07 4.7
11-16-2011, 06:58 AM
I would also wonder if the frame was tweaked. A side impact can do a lot of damage, and it is a Unibody.

Sal-XK
11-16-2011, 07:26 AM
I would also wonder if the frame was tweaked. A side impact can do a lot of damage, and it is a Unibody.

That would worry me as well.

The_War_Wagon
11-17-2011, 06:15 AM
I did call the WV dealer yesterday; they seemed genuinely surprised that it wasn't there. Probably because emission inspections are NOT required in WV, and the GVWR is needed to program the computer to do them. The service manager faxed me the VIN decipher from Chrysler, which shows it to be a 6,001 - 7,000lb GVWR vehicle. He did so, after to talking to the vehicle compliance folks in Harrisburg, & SUPPOSEDLY, this will be acceptable to get the state mandated emission inspection in Pittsburgh/Allegheny Co. We shall see. If not, I'm taking the damn thing to the local Chrysler dealer and making THEM inspect. I suspect it will "PASS" there... https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/mad-1.gif

I was so frustrated with it, I was literally minutes away from trading it for an '07 Hemi Commander Overland at my local dealer, and making it their problem - even though I've already put over $1,500 in it it one month of ownership. I still prefer my silver color, and the Hemi is dark khaki (I hate trying to cool dark vehicles with R134 - pouring ice cubes down my back is more efficient https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/rolleyes-1.gif ), but at least it has a *(&^*&^%$&%# GVWR sticker on the door!!! :mad:

Will try the state inspection at my Goodyear dealer AGAIN today... otherwise - it's off to Pleasant Hills Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge and THEIR emission testing equipment!

Sal-XK
11-17-2011, 06:31 AM
That's aggravating man nothing worse then being forced to take some mandated test and you can't even get tested for something stupid like a sticker.

LWM
11-17-2011, 08:58 AM
I was literally minutes away from trading it for an '07 Hemi Commander Overland at my local dealer, and the Hemi is dark khaki

You would have been in for ANOTHER surprise because the dark khaki was ONLY available on the 2006 model.

cico7
11-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Lolol
you would have been in for another surprise because the dark khaki was only available on the 2006 model.

The_War_Wagon
11-17-2011, 03:24 PM
You would have been in for ANOTHER surprise because the dark khaki was ONLY available on the 2006 model.

Mybad - I was reading how they described the interior. The color is actually listed as, "blue."

http://www.pleasanthillschryslerjeep.net/used/Jeep/2007-Jeep-Commander-6b3dc8830a0d048d01376005ddb4cc57.htm

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

I test drove it - veddy, veddy, nice... :cool:

pjmjr508
11-17-2011, 03:35 PM
I have a 2k7 Overland & love it!