PDA

View Full Version : to much flex?

EvilJager
11-20-2011, 05:51 PM
My jeep flexes so much you could pull the rear coil out...
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/20111120_140005_672-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/20111120_140018_402-1.jpg

Holaday07 4.7
11-20-2011, 05:57 PM
use a limiting strap. JKS makes a good one

EvilJager
11-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Yea thays what i was thinking... im still waiting on new rear coils so that should aslo help

Sal-XK
11-20-2011, 06:10 PM
No such thing as to much flex this statement doesn't compute LOL

Matt
11-20-2011, 06:11 PM
If you end up changing the shocks you can get a set sized up properly to prevent that. Might want to recommend that to Marlin actually since he has those 7100s built.

EvilJager
11-20-2011, 06:12 PM
I knew youd say something like that sal lol

Sal-XK
11-20-2011, 06:18 PM
I knew youd say something like that sal lol

hahahah I vote for getting limiting straps and let them take the abuse of stopping the axle from dropping. But like matt said let JBA know, a solution should ship with the kit.

EvilJager
11-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Well the lift still has a inch to gain so that might help a little. Theres usually a few spots where a tire will come off the ground but didnt happen today

now i just have to fix my mirror:confused:

EvilJager
11-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Yea i talked to him today about it. Hes going to make a call tomorrow and see when they will be done... on the bright side i fou.d a east way to swap them out haha

Sal-XK
11-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Theres usually a few spots where a tire will come off the ground but didnt happen today

I think you'll find the normal spots that were hard or scary no big deal now. You'll have to pick harder lines now I noticed that when I wheeled the XJ picking the same lines I did with my XK was not cutting it and I had to adjust in my mind what was passable now.

EvilJager
11-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Yep i did some stuff today that i couldnt do a month ago. Still gor stuck.a few times but im not counting. It rained the other day ptetty bad so tje water levels were high.

AJeepZJ
11-21-2011, 06:07 AM
Well... Limiting straps would do it, but ideally, that is the primary purpose of the shocks.

pjmjr508
11-21-2011, 06:25 AM
The pics look great

Holaday07 4.7
11-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Well... Limiting straps would do it, but ideally, that is the primary purpose of the shocks.

I had always heard that you dont want to use the shocks as limiting straps

Matt
11-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Its easier to "fine tune" the maximum extension of the suspension with limiting straps since you can't exactly order shocks in 1/8" increments (for the most part anyway). But there's nothing wrong with having the shocks limit travel.... that's how every stock suspension is designed.

There's always exceptions to the rules... like prerunner trucks that are aways catching air; you don't want the suspension continuously bottoming out the shocks on every jump and you don't want the shock at its limit when it has to suddenly dampen the suspension when the truck lands.

But for what we do with these vehicles, its no big deal.

07JeepXK
11-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Yep i did some stuff today that i couldnt do a month ago. Still gor stuck.a few times but im not counting. It rained the other day ptetty bad so tje water levels were high.

I've seen some badass vehicles get stuck several times. It happens. Just got to be happy that you can go places you couldnt several months ago. And im sure the added ground clearance helps out a lot!

AJeepZJ
11-21-2011, 08:02 AM
I had always heard that you dont want to use the shocks as limiting straps

I've only heard speculation as to why.

I'm not sure why Jeep stopped doing this with the WK, but the RSA config's in the past (those using coils) used clips at the base of the coil to fix it to the axle to keep the coil from coming out.

valpacer
11-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Its fine for them to be used as limiters for Down travel (except for those fast running comp / desert racer trucks) but not for up travel, need bump stops for that. If you are dropping coils out then you need straps, longer bump stops to retain them or simply fix the coil to the diff.

Looks good Jager, hows the pinion angle on flex etc? I notice they have used the factory upper mount with an adjustable arm and i assume SL bracket on the diff?

Dave

TrialByFire
11-22-2011, 08:31 PM
I have been wheeling pretty hard and have not had the rear springs reseat improperly. They always fall back right into place so I don't think loose springs is an issue, though some longer ones would be nice.

What is an issue with the XK during hard flexing is the drive shaft rubbing the fuel tank skid and bending the lip up enough to tear the rubber boot over the spline. Is it the same with the WK?

LWM
11-22-2011, 09:17 PM
What is an issue with the XK during hard flexing is the drive shaft rubbing the fuel tank skid and bending the lip up enough to tear the rubber boot over the spline. Is it the same with the WK?

Mine did the same thing!

Omelet
11-22-2011, 09:48 PM
^^^ Adjustable track bar! :D

AJeepZJ
11-23-2011, 05:55 AM
I have been wheeling pretty hard and have not had the rear springs reseat improperly. They always fall back right into place so I don't think loose springs is an issue, though some longer ones would be nice.

Only for those who start adding spacers on top of a 2.5-3" lift and don't make the necessary modifications. But yeah - it does happen.