PDA

View Full Version : What years of NV245 will fit my '06?

TrialByFire
11-22-2011, 03:14 PM
So much for my Moab trip I was supposed to leave for today. I grenaded my (second driver's side CV) and t-case this last weekend and am looking for a replacement TC. New ones are $1800 (ouch!) and have to come from MI.
What XK and WK model year NV245s will drop in to my '06?

Sal-XK
11-22-2011, 04:18 PM
You're probably better off getting a used one for sure. I don't think there was any change in the NV245 for the production run. Have you looked into getting a atlas retrofitted? Might be worth the cost if you're blowing them up all the time.

Matt
11-22-2011, 04:45 PM
When you say "grenaded"... what exactly did you do to the tcase? If you burned out the clutches, replacing them isn't that bad.

TrialByFire
11-22-2011, 07:38 PM
When you say "grenaded"... what exactly did you do to the tcase? If you burned out the clutches, replacing them isn't that bad.
Not sure what I did to the TC. 4-LO seems to work fine now that the CV is fixed, but in 4-HI it won't move and there is a pulsating slight tugging feel.

Matt
11-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Drain the fluid... i bet its black with clutch material. If you don't have metal shavings in it then you're porbably just looking at a few clutches. In 4-LO more pressure is put on the clutches, so they don't slip. But in Drive, it sounds like they're slipping.

TrialByFire
11-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Since my Moab trip is off, I'll have some time to look at it this week. It would be nice if it's the clutch.

07JeepXK
11-23-2011, 04:26 AM
I grenaded my transfer case at Rausch Creek last year. I have a 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7 Liter QT II and replaced it with a transfer case from a junk yard out of a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 liter HEMI with QD II. Its been installed for about 1 year and two months now without any issues. So any TC should work as long as it says NV245J from either a 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee or 2006-2010 Commander!

TrialByFire
11-23-2011, 08:56 AM
I grenaded my transfer case at Rausch Creek last year. I have a 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7 Liter QT II and replaced it with a transfer case from a junk yard out of a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 liter HEMI with QD II. Its been installed for about 1 year and two months now without any issues. So any TC should work as long as it says NV245J from either a 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee or 2006-2010 Commander!
Thanks. That's good because there are a lot of them out there for $300 - $600. Hopefully, mine can be rebuilt if it's only the clutches.

Matt
11-23-2011, 09:03 AM
From what you're describing. .. that would be my bet. I'd open up and take a look. I recently priced up all of the parts for replacing the clutches and I believe it was well under $100.... and reading through the instructions it looks relatively straight forward for someone with a decent mechanical aptitude...

If You haven't already done so, download the parts manual from the sticky in the technical section. There's an exploded view of the tcase and you can order the parts from mopar-wholesale (or similar website).

Next summer I might pick up a junkyard tcase and rebuild it just so I have a spare on hand.... And because I love taking tcases apart; their internals are so cool. 8)

TrialByFire
11-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Yes. It would be nice to have a spare TC. It's pretty accessible and even I could probably manage swapping one out.

Sal suggested an Atlas and I've heard they are pretty tough to break but I'm not clear how that would integrate with all the electronic actuation. I suspect it wouldn't and I would have to mount a mechanical shifter...no?

Here is a photo of the blown (hub end) CV housing.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/IMAGE_271-1.jpg

07JeepXK
11-23-2011, 01:35 PM
The NV245J found in our vehicles is very easy to take apart and reassemble. My buddy Jay had to replace the rear output shaft seal in the TC i got from the junk yard and the entire TC had to be taken apart. He did it all in a matter of 30 mins and had it back in the Jeep.

TrialByFire
11-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Drain the fluid... i bet its black with clutch material. If you don't have metal shavings in it then you're porbably just looking at a few clutches.
Good call! I drained the fluid. Looks pretty black (with no 'chunks'). Gonna pull the TC next. The clutch parts are in town and I might be back in business this weekend!

Matt
11-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Awesome man! Keep us informed how it works out and take some pics when you tear it down.... I'm going to have to rebuild my TC sometime in the future (from the shift motor locking it up, i know my clutches are hurting and have the fluid to prove it). I haven't rebuilt a 245 yet so any advice when you break yours down is greatly appreciated.

TrialByFire
11-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Matt, does your shop manual say how to get to a couple of the top side tranny mounting bolts?

Matt
11-25-2011, 03:58 PM
The section I read didn't say anything about those bolts because it was specifically for replacing the clutches... so it assumed the TC was already out of the vehicle. After the kids go to bed i'll go and check on that for you though.

.... if i don't give you an update by 9:00 Eastern, remind me! Long day with yardwork so im trying to "drink" the pain away...

Matt
11-25-2011, 06:59 PM
a minute to spare!!!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/11/20111125204336-1.jpg

TrialByFire
11-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Excellent! Thanks very much. I disconnected the drive shafts and removed 5 of the 11 bolts but reached the conclusion that I would have to remove the crossmember and let the whole transmission/t-case drop down a bit to get access to the remaining 6. Even then, it may still be tough! I'm not sure I'm up to this but will give it a try tomorrow.

Matt
11-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Oh man i would never rebuild a Tcase UNDER a vehicle. Take it out and put it on a workbench... the extra few steps to remove the TC makes it sooo much easier, especially when you're putting it back together.

TrialByFire
11-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Oh, yes! I was trying to remove it--not work on it under the vehicle! Sorry for the confusion.
I was just thinking I could unbolt it and drop it w/o removing the crossmember, supporting the transmission, etc.

Matt
11-25-2011, 07:31 PM
ah... i hear ya!!

TrialByFire
11-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Finally got the TC out!!! This would not be a trail fix :(

TrialByFire
12-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Here is an update on the t-case: It's back together and in the vehicle but there are still problems. It looks like the front diff locker is shot also.
The t-case repair ran about $300 ($230 for the clutch plates and another $70 for the drum that was scored).
JeepinByAl was good on the warranty and sent me a set of bushings to replace the ones that went out in the UCAs. We will replace those when we get access to the front diff.

Sal-XK
12-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Do you know what's wrong with the front?

Matt
12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Damn man, one thing after another :(

Whats the front diff doing? Just not locking up?

07JeepXK
12-12-2011, 05:53 AM
How long have you had the JBA UCA's to where the bushings need to be replaced already?

criket
12-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Is there a write up or something on how to rebuild the front diff? I've looked everywhere but cannot find anything.

strokeZ
12-12-2011, 05:02 PM
sounds like one heck of a job you have on your hands! Too bad I am not closer to you or I would come give you some help.

TrialByFire
12-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Do you know what's wrong with the front?

Yes, it's a bummer. I should know tomorrow when we get it apart. The right front does not lock and we get the "Service 4WD System" warning (I can't remember the exact code description). The vehicle will not move w/o hooking up the diagnostic computer and manually setting the t-case. It's weird because after breaking it a month ago, I drove it out in 4LO.

The JBA UCAs were installed in March. Marvin (?) told me that I was the 3rd customer to have the bushings disintegrate and that his bushing supplier was replacing the defective parts. To JBA's credit he stepped right up and stood behind the product! It's worth inspecting yours if you have the UCAs.

TrialByFire
12-12-2011, 11:07 PM
sounds like one heck of a job you have on your hands! Too bad I am not closer to you or I would come give you some help.
I'm thankful I have some expert help or it would be at the $dealer$.

TrialByFire
12-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Well I just found out that I snapped the front (passenger-side) axle in addition to all the other damage. At least it wasn't the locker ($$$)! We should have the new axle tomorrow (coming from Denver) and, hopefully, I'll be running again by this weekend!

Sal-XK
12-14-2011, 06:47 PM
WOW well I guess if you wheel hard you break hard too.

TrialByFire
12-14-2011, 08:06 PM
WOW well I guess if you wheel hard you break hard too.
I have to believe that the clutch plates in the TC had been going out for a while. The obstacle I probably broke on was the hardest thing I've done yet--off camber, steep, and loose. I had to bump it a couple of times and probably got the front wheels in the air spinning a little too fast. The front drive parts are about the size of a Dana 44 so a bit undersized for 33s maybe. We have tossed around several ideas for a SFA swap. The best seems to be a Rubicon front end which will probably be the most compatible with the QDII electronics.

Sal-XK
12-14-2011, 08:13 PM
For mods like that I think you QD2 guys are at disadvantage with all that stuff. I have a pretty good off road shop here and he quoted me $6k for a SFA including all the rear end work to get a 6" lift. Seems doable at that price let us know what you guys find out.

TrialByFire
12-14-2011, 08:59 PM
After the rear bumper is done, I think I'm about done with the mods and future cash will go into a buggy (and a trailer).

Sal-XK
12-14-2011, 09:10 PM
After the rear bumper is done, I think I'm about done with the mods and future cash will go into a buggy (and a trailer).

That's what I though when I bought the XJ but it wasn't the same bro I missed wheeling my XK LOL

TrialByFire
12-15-2011, 01:02 PM
That's what I though when I bought the XJ but it wasn't the same bro I missed wheeling my XK LOL
I hear you! I will definately keep wheeling it (and using it to haul my buggy), but I know it's limits now and plan to build something else for the really hard stuff.

criket
12-15-2011, 04:50 PM
I hear you! I will definately keep wheeling it (and using it to haul my buggy), but I know it's limits now and plan to build something else for the really hard stuff.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with having a great looking tow rig. Besides, it will be equipped enough to go get your buggy off the trail if need be.

TrialByFire
12-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Well I'm up and running again!!!
It seems the front axle shaft was the last of the problems. Parts (CV=$65, TC clutches and drum=$225, axle $65) plus fluids were under $400. Then there were the many hours of labor...

Sal-XK
12-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Glad to hear your back on the road man!

strokeZ
12-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Glad to hear as well!