PDA

View Full Version : Good Battery Keeps Dying

strokeZ
11-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Hi all,

So after my little situation with the front drive shaft the battery keeps losing charge. I charged it after I picked it up from the dealer and then drove it for a few days with no problems. I let it sit for a couple of days and drove it again - no problems. I just got back in town and the Jeep sat for about a week - battery is dead as a door nail. I am thinking a slow drain somewhere - but before I parked it I made sure to disconnect all the extra stuff that I have hooked up (CB, Lights, sub amp, etc). Still - it died. I did some research and wonder if it could be the little yellow wire under the hood or the Starter - Battery - PDC harness - question is if these will slowly kill the battery over time??

The battery has been tested a few times over a few methods and appears good.

Thanks for the help.

Matt
11-30-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure if our service manual has it in it... i'll have to look because it should... but you should be able to measure the draw on the battery with all systems off to determine if it's higher than normal. It there's too much current being pulled, next step would be to figure out which circuit is causing it then go from there.

strokeZ
11-30-2011, 06:49 PM
If you can find that it would be cool. I know there is a small draw just to keep the systems alive but not sure what that is. I have it under trickle charge right now and will test when it's able to start.

Sal-XK
11-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Just a thought if you leave the battery disconnected and see if it holds a charge you can narrow it down maybe unless the battery has a internal short that occurs only when connected which happen to my mustang took me 3 months to figure that one out.

strokeZ
11-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Good point Sal - will try that as well and thank to both of you!

cico7
12-01-2011, 07:23 AM
How old is the battery? If the battery is 5yr 50k miles, it needs to be replaced.
Can you get a hydrometer to test the acid?

07JeepXK
12-01-2011, 07:40 AM
I know this is a long shot but are you sure the alternator is charging the battery properly. If you have a small drain on the battery and the alternator isnt working properly then there is no way to keep the battery charged.

strokeZ
12-01-2011, 08:16 AM
The battery is about a year old and about 10k miles. I had it tested at a few different places and it has always come back okay. The alternator was charging good per dealer and the battery shop. I know there are issues with the battery testers so I have had it checked at three places. All came back as OK. The things starts just fine if I let it sit for a day or two, but seems like if it sits past four days or so it dies.

UPDATE: Just checked the battery with a multi meter - with the car running it reads between 14.38 and 14.45V. With the car off it reads ~12.6V. Also with the car off I am showing a draw of 0.15 mA - not sure if that is spec or not?? I wonder if I cracked my battery during the last "baja run" over the trails at Big Bend - I suppose that is possible as well. Hmmmmm

Sal-XK
12-01-2011, 06:11 PM
That's more then possible and like I said earlier very hard to diagnose. I swore my mustang bat was good and it ended up being an internal thing what threw me off too was the battery was only about 1 year old.

Matt
12-01-2011, 06:21 PM
You mean 15mA, right? That sounds about normal.

If a module or something was draining the batter after a few days I'd expect to see a 500 or more mA draw.

Sal-XK
12-01-2011, 06:26 PM
One thing comes to mind not sure if it makes a difference or not. Traditional batteries leak there fluid when tilted past a certain degree like while were off roading. I know mine has done it on the trails. That's why I like the optima batteries there suppose to be sealed. Not sure if that could cause this or what just a thought.

strokeZ
12-01-2011, 06:52 PM
@Matt - yeah 15 mA @Sal - well I am going to bring it to where I purchased it to have them put the battery under a 45 min load. That should be the tell tale (I hope). Curious - what Optima did you get? I asked for one but was told there was none made for our vehicles. After checking it I am almost certain its a bad battery - for whatever reason.

cico7
12-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Have you checked fluid level in the battery?
Looking at Sal's comments and yours,
it would be worth looking at.

Sal-XK
12-02-2011, 03:30 AM
Jon has one in his XK and made a thread on it. I would find it but I'm on my phone if you don't have by the time I get to a computer I'll look for it.

Matt
12-02-2011, 04:03 AM
I think its in the "how to" section. (Also on phone)

lekmedm
12-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Curious - what Optima did you get? I asked for one but was told there was none made for our vehicles.

I think you could put a D35 size battery in there. The poles are out on the edges, so reaching for them should be easier. I have a D34/78 and had to bend the connectors to make them reach.

I think the OEM battery is a Mercedes battery. It's really mostly a question of size, and since the Mercedes battery is so large, it's not a big deal to put in an Optima that's generally smaller.

:cool:

strokeZ
12-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks all for the comments - I know its usually a simple thing, but for some reason this did not make sense. I will check the fluid level today and if low refil with demin water. If not low I am taking it back for (hopefully) a replacement.

strokeZ
12-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Well each cell was about 1/4 low - but none of the core was exposed. Problem now is that the cap does not want to stay on - So -I am faced with either trying to get the cap to seal and hope it stays that way or suck it up and buy a new battery. Anyone have thoughts on that?

cico7
12-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Well each cell was about 1/4 low - but none of the core was exposed. Problem now is that the cap does not want to stay on - So -I am faced with either trying to get the cap to seal and hope it stays that way or suck it up and buy a new battery. Anyone have thoughts on that?hammatime?

Matt
12-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Could be the water pump.......

But i'd probably just get a new battery first. I put a Bosch S5 in mine.

strokeZ
12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Hammatime could work, but am afraid that at some point the gasses will build up under the hood. How does the water pump work with that?

cico7
12-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Hammatime could work, but am afraid that at some point the gasses will build up under the hood. How does the water pump work with that?i am sure with a little encouragement,you can ginesse it in water pump and belt grease? LOL.

Matt
12-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Hammatime could work, but am afraid that at some point the gasses will build up under the hood. How does the water pump work with that?

Waterpump was a joke for cico :)

strokeZ
12-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Sweet - love the inside joke stuff. I am thinking to just bite the bullet. I have a long trip to the North this month - would hate to be caught with a dead battery cuz I was a cheap a$$

Matt
12-02-2011, 06:21 PM
That's how I am with stuff like this.... ~$150 to not get stranded on the side of the road is good insurance.

If you want to be on the "inside" have a read here: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/1414-ZJ-Belt-Squeak :)

cico7
12-02-2011, 07:04 PM
And AJ still isnt speaking to me.

Matt
12-02-2011, 07:12 PM
read that wrong....

^edited!

Matt
12-02-2011, 07:13 PM
And AJ still isnt speaking to me.

He will if it turns out to be the water pump! lol

Sal-XK
12-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Just get the optima battery I think you will be surprised by there performance. There also built to be used in the fashion we put things threw off road with all the jarring around and extreme angles. There smaller lighter but more power full then all the other batteries and I didn't think they were priced that much higher either.

strokeZ
12-02-2011, 08:50 PM
That's probably what will happen this weekend

cico7
12-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Just get the optima battery I think you will be surprised by there performance. There also built to be used in the fashion we put things threw off road with all the jarring around and extreme angles. There smaller lighter but more power full then all the other batteries and I didn't think they were priced that much higher either.which do you suggest?

Sal-XK
12-02-2011, 09:57 PM
which do you suggest?

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/467-Optima-Yellow-Top-Battery?highlight=optima+battery

strokeZ
12-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Well AZ was supposed to hold the only Optima they had, but when I got there it was sold. Since I had the duralast Gold that I bought a year ago, they decided to replace it for free - well they did not have the gold in stock but did have the platinum - so I got an upgrade for free..... Better than nothing I suppose and I never had to touch the water pump!

Sal-XK
12-03-2011, 04:37 PM
You can't beat free!

Matt
12-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Hey man i'm pretty sure the platinum is an AGM battery just like Optima..... so it sounds like this worked out perfectly for you!

strokeZ
12-03-2011, 06:57 PM
So they claim - thanks everyone for your help and feedback - this is truly a great forum.

cico7
12-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Good deal! Cudo' Auto Zone for stepping up!