PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on what to do???????

Sal-XK
12-04-2011, 07:23 PM
My wife brought to my attention she don't like the line at the top. So not sure what to do know I just want to figure it out and finish.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5356JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/100_5357JPG-1.jpg

Matt
12-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Your wife brought it to your attention? That's just a funny way of saying "my wife agrees with matt" lmao!!!

As long as its just double sided tape (like most moldings)... i say pull them off, paint up to the crease, and have her hand paint the "COMMANDER" back on in body color.

NeilSmith
12-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Go up to the body line just above the mouldings. You can either mask off the mouldings or spray right over them. If you spray over them you will have a consistent black color all the way down. Youre just getting a weird look between the red - to the black mldg - to red to black liner. If you try to remove the mldgs they will probably warp out of shape, break, break some clip, or at the least be a pita to get stuck back on. At the shop we replace almost all mldgs like that instead of re-using them.

DetroitMarauder
What is under the molding?

Sal-XK
Your wife brought it to your attention? That's just a funny way of saying "my wife agrees with matt" lmao!!!

As long as its just double sided tape (like most moldings)... i say pull them off, paint up to the crease, and have her hand paint the "COMMANDER" back on in body color.

LOL so I'm mad at both of you now ahhahahaha. My concern is how the molding is put on. I thought I read somewhere they had plastic dowels or something so there might be holes.

AJeepZJ
12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
I thought you originally planned on bringing the line flush with the plastic molding.

NeilSmith
12-04-2011, 07:34 PM
LOL so I'm mad at both of you now ahhahahaha. My concern is how the molding is put on. I thought I read somewhere they had plastic dowels or something so there might be holes.
I believe there are holes. Not sure cause Ive never seen them off but from other experiance they probably have double sided tape in addition to pieces that clip into holes in the doors.

NeilSmith
12-04-2011, 07:35 PM
You want to go to the body line no matter what you do about the mouldings.

Sal-XK
12-04-2011, 07:38 PM
If I take the molding off I won't be putting it back on. Wasn't thinking of just painting over it not sure how that would look.

NeilSmith
12-04-2011, 07:45 PM
If you take it off you will most likely have holes in the door. Check for some threads to see if anyone has pics with the mouldings removed.

Sal-XK
12-04-2011, 07:46 PM
If you take it off you will most likely have holes in the door. Check for some threads to see if anyone has pics with the mouldings removed.

Something that can be reasonably filled with bondo?

NeilSmith
12-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Something that can be reasonably filled with bondo?
:) uh, no.

NeilSmith
12-04-2011, 07:48 PM
You've been down south too long.

Sal-XK
12-04-2011, 07:48 PM
:) uh, no.

LOL no there still on the Jeep

Sal-XK
12-04-2011, 07:50 PM
You've been down south too long.

How else do you fill small holes then?

NeilSmith
12-04-2011, 07:54 PM
How else do you fill small holes then?
They have to be welded up then finished with filler. The welding would warp the door skin so much, its just not worth trying to do. Either tape em off and spray up to the body line or spray over top of em.

Matt
12-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Are there clips under the molding? My last two trucks (both GM's) were just double sided tape with smooth paint underneath... "de-molding" was one of the most common "mods"

Sal-XK
12-04-2011, 07:57 PM
They have to be welded up then finished with filler. The welding would warp the door skin so much, its just not worth trying to do. Either tape em off and spray up to the body line or spray over top of em.

well that stinks man I ain't going threw all that even if I knew how which I don't. Unless I find out it's just tape there staying on then and I might just paint over and past them.

NeilSmith
12-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Some guys on the other forum were selling their moldings, or trading them. I havent had one in the shop to see how they are made but I can maybe find out tomorrow. Im thinking that if guys can get them off easily without damaging them and then selling them then they almost have to be held on by some kind of clip. If it was just tape then you would bend the hell out of them when you pull them off. Let me check into it tomorrow.

DetroitMarauder
12-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Everything I have found on the other site points to it being double-sided tape and clips that leave holes in your doors.

Ross
12-04-2011, 09:24 PM
I would try and keep the molding mostly for its protective purposes against people accidentally denting the doors with thier car doors/shopping carts

Matt
12-05-2011, 04:05 AM
his new sliders will protect from dents against car doors when he puts them on. :)

I looked in the parts manual and the image of the door panel looks like holes for clips..... so they'll probably have to stay on.

Sal-XK
12-05-2011, 05:03 AM
his new sliders will protect from dents against car doors when he puts them on. :)

I looked in the parts manual and the image of the door panel looks like holes for clips..... so they'll probably have to stay on.

Well, one thing is clear for sure I'm not done painting :( I know I need to go up to the next body line no matter what but, will that look good or continuing to the next body line at the top of the crease look better? I'm thinking the first body line and leaving the crease the body color.

Matt
12-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Does the bottom or top of the crease correlate to any other features? Like, if the top of the crease is in line with the top of the bumpers, then that's where id paint to.

07JeepXK
12-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Well, one thing is clear for sure I'm not done painting :( I know I need to go up to the next body line no matter what but, will that look good or continuing to the next body line at the top of the crease look better? I'm thinking the first body line and leaving the crease the body color.

Just go up to the next body line and it will look awsome. Use painters tape and mask off the molding and then paint right over it. Once the paint dries take the tape off the molding.

cico7
12-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Sal,
Disregard what Neil said and fill'em with bondo.....He is just trying to get you to spend more money than you need to.
Mix some 5 min epoxy with bondo and stick it in the hole. Use toilet paper to wipe the excess with.
When it hardens, use light sandpaper until it is smooth and shiney shinny shinney polish it real good.
It will look great, I promise.
I'm Joe Isuzu.

I was trying to gets pics for you (other thread) but was not sucessful. I was thinking of the plastic molding above the rockers.
You already had that covered.....

How about the flex steel stuff that is kinda like the epoxy, would that work? kinda like JB weld.....

cico7
12-06-2011, 12:50 PM
removing side molding (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13742)
Check this out....is this legal for me to post a link to another forum?

07JeepXK
12-06-2011, 12:55 PM
removing side molding (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13742)

Sure why not....

Sal-XK
12-06-2011, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the link and you know it's ok to post threads to other forums here SILLY

The_War_Wagon
12-16-2011, 05:40 AM
I would try and keep the molding mostly for its protective purposes against people accidentally denting the doors with thier car doors/shopping carts

Sliders NOTwithstanding, THIS! Think about pickups, where the lower part of THEIR door would be ABOVE the slider!

The_War_Wagon
12-16-2011, 05:41 AM
BTW, I must've missed the thread with your rocker panels - where did those come from? :cool: